News   May 03, 2024
 766     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 492     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 247     0 

miWay Transit

Kinda silly that Lakeshore ends before hitting Hurontario
Very Simple..........No room for an ROW without removing on street parking and having 1 lanes of traffic in place of the demand to maintain 2 lanes.

Very Simple..........No room for an ROW without removing on street parking and having 1 lanes of traffic in place of the demand to maintain 2 lanes.
Kinda silly that Lakeshore ends before hitting Hurontario
There are medium-long term plans to have BRT running further west on Lakeshore. The reason only the small segment between East Ave and the city limits is being built currently is due to clauses within the federal infrastructure funding (ICIP) which requires projects to be complete by 2027 in order to qualify for funding (73% federal/provincial with 27% municipal match). Only this small segment was far enough in design work as well as EAs which is why it is being built; this is also the same reason the Dundas BRT is being built as far as Confederation Parkway to start with.

June 26, 2023 service changes summary

7 - Increase Saturday frequency between 700p and 1200a from 60 to 40 minutes (+1 bus)

9 - Revised weekday and Saturday schedules with increased round trip run time. Reduce weekday evening frequency from 27 to 42 min (-1 bus); reduce Saturday evening frequency from 25 to 42 min (-1 bus)

13 - Revised southbound routing no longer serving Fowler Drive, remaining on Erin Mills Parkway. Reduce weekday evening frequency after 930p from 35 to 48 min (-1 bus); reduce Saturday and Sunday evening frequency after 1030p from 35 to 48 min (-1 bus)

14 - Start evening service earlier by eliminating 2 PM rush trips

20 - Reduce weekday evening frequency after 800p from 21 to 29 min (-1 bus)

26 - Revised routing no longer serving Glen Erin Drive. Westbound trips will use Burnhamthorpe Rd to South Common, Eastbound routing remains the same. Redesigned Saturday and Sunday schedules with increased round trip run times and frequency. Saturday - 8-14 min increase in round trip run times, increase frequency between 1000a and 800p from 26 to 24 min (+1 bus). Sunday - 5-14 min increase in round trip run times, increase frequency between 1030a and 700p from 37 to 32 min (+1 bus)

29 - Revised routing terminating at South Common via Glen Erin and Burnhamthorpe, no longer serving Erin Mills Station. Reduce weekday and Saturday evening frequency after 800p from 32 to 45 min (-1 bus)

35 - Redesigned Saturday and Sunday schedules with increased round trip run times and frequency. Saturday - 9-16 min increase in round trip run times, increase frequency from 33 to 30 min (+1 bus). Sunday - 8-10 min increase in round trip run times, increase frequency from 42 to 35 min (+1 bus)

39 - Redesigned Saturday and Sunday schedules with increased round trip times and frequency. Saturday - 6-11 min increase in round trip run times, increase early and evening frequency from 33 to 24 min (+2 buses), increase midday frequency from 27 to 25 min (+1 bus). Sunday - 5-10 min increase in round trip run times, increase all day frequency from 45 to 35 minutes (+1 bus)

57 - Revise routing at Sheridan College to terminate at new stop within existing bus bay on McLaughlin north of Sheridan College Drive, using roundabout to loop

61 - Redesigned Sunday schedules with increased round trip run times and frequency. Up to 9 min increase in round trip run rimes, increase frequency between 100p and 1000p from 22 to 20 min and 1000p to service end from 36 to 25-27 min

76 - Reduce weekday evening frequency from 24 to 37 min (-1 bus)

103 - Revised Saturday schedules and additional Saturday early evening trips

Tonight saw the first meeting of the first Transit Advisory Committee with various guideline set by council. Some of those guideless will change over time as the committee gets it feet wet.

The chair is a new councilor and very pro transit as I work with on the writing the GTA West Transit report a number of years. My councilors is also on the committee who is very pro transit as well and work with him on the LRT committee.

It will be interesting to see where this committee goes in the coming years as well how council will react to various recommendation that may go against the guidelines. Only taken over 15 years since I first call for one.

Only 2 things on the agenda since it new as well yet to setup a plan to be talked about down the road.

The first recommendation call for the removal of Merry Christmas along with all other ones as the display is more important to tell the rider which route it is as well where it was going. With the scrolling of the display, riders have very little time to read what being display that may get on the wrong bus on a route or stop used by a number of routes. I will support that recommendation as I have come close to getting on the wrong bus a few times, especially with wrong colours on the wrong route.

The 2nd recommendation support the transit general manage recommendation of eliminating the blue express bus colour and going to orange for the full fleet. All buses with a year or so left of service will retire as blue with all remaining buses been repainted over the next 2 years including the new arrival blue buses. As one who call for 2 colours long before 2010, I support the recommendation for a number of reasons.

The last 5 years has shown that unless each colour is treated as a separate fleet, we will continue to see the wrong bus on the wrong route as well council not fund the buses when they due to be replace, not like it is today. The last 20 or so 0300 are finally been retired 5 years after they were supposed to be along with the ones that were retired early this year now the 2200 are arriving due to supply change issues. 0500's were scheduled to be retired in 2020, but a fair number will hanging on until 2024 like the 0600's and 0700's.

You need 2 different allocators to keep track as well where you keep them.

The policy of the GM has been what is in the yard goes out on a route to make sure there is a bus as schedule for them, regardless of the colour. Have no issue with it.

The plan will see the blue buses repainted orange starting 2024 for the next year or so budget wise, but leaves the door open to still see the wrong colour until all the buses are repainted.

A few things came on discussion of these items.

1. To see a new side or rear display for the various holidays or events, but a waste of money on my point of view.
2. Having some type of display by the driver. Again, waste of money as well you cannot celebrate everyone event in the first place.
3. Using different colours of lights to say X bus is an express bus as well dealing with colours for the visually impair community. I have only seen orange, white, yellow and not sure what else is out there or would work.

Last edited:
1. To see a new side or rear display for the various holidays or events, but a waste of money on my point of view.
2. Having some type of display by the driver. Again, waste of money as well you can celebrate everyone in the first place.
3. Using different colours of lights to say X bus is an express bus as well dealing with colours for the visually impair community. I have only seen orange, white, yellow and not sure what else is out there or would work.
Great summary drum. I had a midterm exam that conflicted with the first 30 mins, otherwise I would've attended in person. For point #3, I'm guessing the main font will remain a standard colour (be it white or orange) and a section of the sign will show blue/orange. I agree with points #1 and #2. I think the existing interior display (which just shows the time except when a stop is announced or requested) can be used to display these messages.

The new buses are rolling almost daily and then hitting the streets days later or when ready. A good chunk of the 2200 series are here that allows the remaining 0300's to be finally retire.

2375 Blue express bus is the first of the 2300 series to arrive I hear.

Come September, we may get back to having the right colour on the right route.

I have yet to come across anything saying what other colours LEDs can be use to display route info other than amber and white. The background of the route number can have Blue and other colours behind them that I have seen in various places in the past.

Would prefer to see a colour behind route numbers and white for the full display as you can see the display better during the day and real great at night time.

MiWay is testing out bus departure displays for their enhanced bus shelters: https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-tr...ew-digital-screens-for-enhanced-bus-shelters/

E-ink:
ShelterScreen-MissValley-1024x914-01.png

LCD:
ShelterScreen-Semenyk-1024x914-01.png

Last edited:
Generally I prefer colour. But the e-ink one actually looks quite clear and seems like it might be better when it’s sunny.

17 Hurontario is a low ridership route? Who knew.
Its a lot lower due to the fact BT 502 has taking over that route. Then, 17 only goes to 407 in place of Steeles like the 19 did.

17 ridership is mainly south of Bristol these days with 103 doing the work north of it. One reason 17 headway was increase compare to 2 these days. Both used to be the same with better headway at one time and both have seen headway increase since the days of the 19's.

North of Bristol is basely industrial or commercial ridership for 17.

The splitting of 19 and headway increase is my fear that the LRT service will see the same thing down the road.

Last edited:
Looks like the service changes in Mississauga are pretty light in September. The service increases are mostly seasonal in nature, to support the post-secondary institutions. Some service cuts as well. https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/announcements/service-changes-start-on-monday-sept-4/
One of these days they will scrap the 110 to Clarkson as it was DOA before it hit the road.

61 has been long over due for better service.

23 continue to show its doesn't need to increase headway as there is no ridership there now nor the next 5-10 years. The East section will see more ridership than the west regardless the development at Mississauga Rd to the point the line maybe split like 19 was.

Have no issues with cuts for holidays schedule routes

17 Hurontario is a low ridership route? Who knew.

103 and Zum 502 are the heavy hitters for basically the entire routing of the 17. As for the Zum recently, there is never a bus where it isn't at least near over capacity already to the point where the effects last even well past Downtown Brampton.

Splitting the 19 in half was probably what drove the ridership away given its more of an inconvenience for riders south of Hurontario, which instead take the 103 as its a one seat ride, skips CCTT, and meets most people's needs going to Steeles. The 502 runs the entire 17 route plus its own proper Brampton route north of Gateway which drives riders from the Eglinton-Derry stops choosing Zum instead.

If the 17 went to the Gateway Terminal like the 19 pre Zum did, then we would still see some sort of consistent ridership for it but missing out on going to one of the busiest terminals in the GTA is what also costs the 17 to not drive as much ridership. Its also a factor that there seems to not be that much of a local demand on Hurontario anyways.

Some MiWay items of interest at next week's General Committee and Transit Advisory Committee meetings:

MiWay 2024 Hybrid Bus Procurement Update

• The initial bid prices for the 82 40' hybrid buses were over the original $85.2M budget initially approved.
  • Additional funding of $9.5M is requested for a total of $94.7M for contract award; this $9.5M is fully city funded as the ICIP funding does not cover project overages.
  • The 82 buses will replace the remaining 2007 and 2008 New Flyer D40LFR buses.
MiWay Transit Fleet Update

• 15 40' electric buses are projected to be purchased in 2027, operating from the Central Parkway Annex (CX) Garage.
MiWay Service Change Process

• Presentation providing a overview of MiWay service change process as well as a overview of ridership and overcrowding
  • 2023 ridership continues to outpace 2022 levels and is significantly above 2019 (pre-covid) levels.
  • Some proposed 2024 service improvements are listed in slide 16, subject to approval of 4% service growth by city council as part of the 2024 budget.
  • Additional service added to various routes to address overcrowding.
  • Introduce express service on Mavis
  • Introduce express service on Eglinton (partially reallocating resources from local routes 34 and 35)
  • Reinstate 100 Airport Express with 30 minute frequency.
  • Reinstate 104 Derry Express and extend to Humber College to connect with Finch LRT (partially reallocating resources from local routes 18 and 42)
  • Reinstate 185 Dixie Express. The slide states 30 minute frequency but MiWay and Brampton previously contributed 3 buses each resulting in a combined 15 minute frequency.
Some slides of interest from the above presentation:
628DDD0B-3FEC-4389-9E53-9B559619812C_1_201_a.jpeg

EBBB42BE-5B27-4668-A62A-9CD388CB55D6_1_201_a.jpeg

9A969CE9-41C2-4DE2-B81B-44A3DFB4DB77_1_201_a.jpeg

E5D42ACF-E10B-473D-BCE5-04C76937C66D_1_201_a.jpeg

Some MiWay items of interest at next week's General Committee and Transit Advisory Committee meetings:

MiWay 2024 Hybrid Bus Procurement Update

• The initial bid prices for the 82 40' hybrid buses were over the original $85.2M budget initially approved.
  • Additional funding of $9.5M is requested for a total of $94.7M for contract award; this $9.5M is fully city funded as the ICIP funding does not cover project overages.
  • The 82 buses will replace the remaining 2007 and 2008 New Flyer D40LFR buses.
MiWay Transit Fleet Update

• 15 40' electric buses are projected to be purchased in 2027, operating from the Central Parkway Annex (CX) Garage.
MiWay Service Change Process

• Presentation providing a overview of MiWay service change process as well as a overview of ridership and overcrowding
  • 2023 ridership continues to outpace 2022 levels and is significantly above 2019 (pre-covid) levels.
  • Some proposed 2024 service improvements are listed in slide 16, subject to approval of 4% service growth by city council as part of the 2024 budget.
  • Additional service added to various routes to address overcrowding.
  • Introduce express service on Mavis
  • Introduce express service on Eglinton (partially reallocating resources from local routes 34 and 35)
  • Reinstate 100 Airport Express with 30 minute frequency.
  • Reinstate 104 Derry Express and extend to Humber College to connect with Finch LRT (partially reallocating resources from local routes 18 and 42)
  • Reinstate 185 Dixie Express. The slide states 30 minute frequency but MiWay and Brampton previously contributed 3 buses each resulting in a combined 15 minute frequency.
Some slides of interest from the above presentation:
View attachment 506407

View attachment 506405

View attachment 506406

View attachment 506408

Excellent update! Thank you.

Looking at that, we see Ridership tracking ~10% above pre-pandemic levels (2019) and probably ~12% over last year.

That's good to see; and earlier today we saw news of record ridership in K-W and we know Brampton is tracking likewise.

While I would prefer to see even more service improvement, 4% is a solid gain.

I would like to see clear tracking towards every 15M or better 6am-12am, weekdays, 8am-12am weekends on all core grid services and an expanded 24-hour network.

Back