News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

miWay Transit

Yet again, leave it to Brampton Transit to fill the gap once the 502 Zum is up and running in September. I feel that MT is jumping the gun with the Saturday 202 (meanwhile not implementing it midday or early evening weekends) when providing such lousy local service north of Britannia. This isn't 1984 when the 2 and 19 made sense as separate routes (and the short time that the 19 ran to DT Brampton). Too bad MT will take advantage of the Zum when it really screws the 19 by terminating it at the 407.

^ I think 19 terminating at Highway 407 will only be a problem if the Shopper World terminal is not moved to Main by then. Because there are lot of people in Brampton who avoid BT route 2 and use the 19 to get to/from Shopper's World. It's the 202 terminating at Highway 407 that I am opposed to because it is express route.

I also think another problem for the 19 is that the 102/202 don't have a stop at Sir Lou. 102/202 just don't pick up enough Brampton riders and Sir Lou is a busy stop.

Milton/Airport GO Bus Passengers: GO Transit is undertaking an Environmental Assessment (EA) in accordance with Ontario’s Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) to introduce bus access roads to link the future Mississauga Bus Rapid Transit Station with major roads in the area.

Your participation is an important part of the process and we welcome your input. You are invited to attend the upcoming Public Information Centre on Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 at Etobicoke Olympium, 590 Rathburn Road, Toronto. GO Transit staff and the study consultants will be on hand to discuss plans, answer questions, and receive your comments.

For more information, visit the Expansion Projects page at gotransit.com or click on the link www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects.aspx"

They should build access roads from the transitway to the 427 north of 401, so that the GO buses can get to the 407 and 407 Transitway without having to use local roads.

So, I took the reduced 19 to shop at Square One Saturday afternoon, then go to Port Credit to cool off a bit, then back to Shoppers World to go home. Here is what I found:

at Shoppers World (going south):
- a lot of pissed off Brampton riders wanting to take the 19 southbound.
- only 2 passengers took the 202. Many people waiting for the 19 asked if it goes via Square One.

at Square One:
- buses arrive as a convoy. I'd assume that this is because it's the first week. As a result, standing room load on a 19 S bus, then a half-full seat load on the next one.
- Surprisingly very good load of 19A passengers going northbound.
- A lot of pissed off riders who want to take 19 northbound to Shoppers World though. The crowd resembles Bloor-Yonge station during rush hours.
- Some swearing when 19A arrives instead of 19.
- 19 was full (with passengers touching their cheeks against the windshield) when it left the terminal.

south of Square One:
- 202 carried almost no one. Around 10 passengers at Port Credit though. But again, just the first week. The 101 was like this the first day, then got popular ever since.
- 19 and 19A have equal loading both directions.

at Shoppers World (going home):
- resembles the 88 Wonderland or the 110 University bus when passengers get out of the bus.
- a few got off at Shoppers World (including me) by 202. Again, it's just the first week.

Last edited:
I sympathize with the riders, really I do, but still, I find it mind-boggling that so many people are still asking if the 202 goes to Square One, in this day and age. The 202 was introduced in May 2005, so it has been in service for over 6 years now. Get with the program, seriously.

May 19, 2011 Report to Council
Presto GTA Farecard - System Wide Activation
RECOMMENDATION: 1. That the Presto GTA Farecard system wide activation as outlined
in the report dated May 19, 2011 from the Transportation and
Works department be approved.
BACKGROUND:
2. That the impacts of the full roll out of the Presto farecard be
included in the 2012 budget request.
3. That a by-law be enacted to authorize the Commissioner of
Transportation and Works and City Clerk to enter into a
Memorandum of Understanding on behalf of the City with
Metrolinx, in a form satisfactory to Legal Services, to defer
payment of the City's Presto capital payments, for an amount up to
$850,000 until March 2012.
Participation in the GTA farecard program is a condition of Provincial
Gas Tax Funding. Mississauga Transit activated the Presto farecard
on three GO shuttle routes (Lis gar, Meadowvale, Cooksville) on
January 25, 2011 which allowed staff to assess the operational
readiness of the system to meet the needs of a large transit system.
Both equipment and system software problems were experienced,
however, due to the limited implementation, customer impacts were
minimized.
As a result of these problems, full system roll-out of Presto was
delayed and the operating funds to fully deploy Presto in 2011 were
not approved in the 2011 budget request.
Extraordinary efforts on the part of the Presto project staff and the
Mississauga Transit project team have resolved the major equipment
and system software issues. The operational readiness of the system
has reached sustainable levels of performance and the larger 905
transit systems have or will imminently become fully operational and
join Burlington and Oakville who are already operational.
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is now expected to
participate fully in Presto. Although this will take a number of years,
our TTC gateway station at Islington has operational Presto devices
now allowing our customers to access the TTC system using a Presto
card.
All GO rail lines in Mississauga are Presto enabled. Hamilton went
live this month and Brampton will go live on May 30, 2011. York
Region is also expected to achieve full implementation next month.
Given the integration of our system with GO, Oakville, Brampton, and
TTC-Islington further delay for Mississauga Transit will have an
adverse impact on our customer base.
Mississauga Transit staff have completed their readiness assessment
and are prepared to activate Presto on all remaining routes by the end
of May targeting a May 30, 2011 date that aligns with Brampton
Transit.
We plan a soft launch allowing existing card holders to use our
system. Presto cards would be available for sale and reloading at our
City Centre Transit Terminal initially and at community centres later
this fall. Presto cards and reloading options have been available at all
Mississauga GO rail stations for some time and all the current Presto
card self serve intranet and telephone reloading options remain active.
There are no plans to promote the use of the card until later this
summer when all systems will participate in a Metrolinx lead and
funded marketing campaign.

There will be incremental operating costs associated with going live,
estimated to be $850,000. This covers data communication costs,
equipment maintenance and repair, bank fees, and staffing costs.
The participation of Mississauga in the Presto system, given our
central location and integration with neighbouring systems, is
important to Metrolinx and the Presto Project Office.
In order to assist with a 2011 system wide activation, Metrolinx and
the Presto Project Office have agreed to defer up to $850,000 in
capital payments currently owing at no cost until March 2012. A
Letter of Understanding between the City and Metrolinx in a manner
acceptable to the Legal Services is being prepared.
This deferral of costs would allow Mississauga Transit to make the
Presto system fully operational in 2011 and the impacts of full rollout
will be included as part of the 2012 budget request.
The report recommendation contributes to the following strategic
goals:
Develop a Transit-Oriented City
• Build a reliable and convenient system.
FINANCIAL IMPACT: The operating impact for full system activation on May 30,2011 of
the Presto farecard is estimated to be $850,000 in 2011. These costs
will be funded from the Presto Capital Budget. Capital payments of
up to $850,000 that are owing to Metrolinx will be deferred until
March 2012. The impacts of the full rollout will be included in the
2012 budget request.

The Presto farecard is partially operational in Mississauga and the
equipment and system software have reached adequate levels of
performance. Failure to fully roll-out the system will have adverse
customer impacts given our central location and high degree of
integration with neighbouring systems.
Commissioner, Transportation

I sympathize with the riders, really I do, but still, I find it mind-boggling that so many people are still asking if the 202 goes to Square One, in this day and age. The 202 was introduced in May 2005, so it has been in service for over 6 years now. Get with the program, seriously.

I could see weekend riders being confused. The 202 has one of the strangest schedules of them all, running weekdays rush hour only and then daytime Saturday. MT just can't help itself screwing around with the Hurontario corridor. I just can imagine how bad things will be in September, when 19 and 202 will dump everyone at the 407 park and ride. At least the 2 Main loops through there so it's not being dumped at Kennedy and Britannia, and enough people will see a Brampton bus at Square One and figure it will take them to Brampton.

Mississauga Transit - MiWay/Canada's Wonderland Sununer Discount Pass Pilot
Program
Corporate Report dated May 12, 2011 from the Commissioner of Transportation and
Works proposing a MiWay/Canada's Wonderland Sununer Discount Pass Pilot Program.
General Committee - 3 - JlU1e 1, 2011
(5.) RECOMMENDATION
1. That effective July 1, 2011, a MiWay/Canacla's Wonderland summer discolU1t
pass pilot program be implemented, on a trial basis, which provides all valid
monthly MiWay student pass purchasers with a $10 discolU1t card to be used for a
Canada's Wonderland gate discolU1t on day pass admission from July 1, 2011 to
October 30, 2011 inclusive.
2. That a by-law be enacted to authorize the Commissioner of Transportation and
Works and the City Clerk to enter into a Summer DiscolU1t Pass Pilot Agreement
between The Corporation of the City of Mississauga (the "City") and the
Canada's Wonderland Company for the MiWay/Canada's Wonderland summer
discolU1t pass pilot program, in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor.
6. MiWay Application for iPhone/iPod Devices
Corporate Report dated May 4,2011 from the Commissioner of Transportation and
Works regarding the MiWay application for iPhone/iPod Devices through the Apple
iTunes Store.
RECOMMENDATION
1. That the Mississauga Transit Fees and Charges By-law #354-10 be amended to
permit Mississauga Transit to charge customers $1.99Jor the purchase of the
MiWay iPhone/iPod application through the Apple iTlU1es Store, as outlined in
the report MiWay Application for iPhone/iPod Devices, dated May 4,2011, from
the Commissioner of Transportation and Works.
2. That a by-law be enacted to delegate authority to the Commissioner of
Transportation and Works on behalf ofthe Corporation ofthe City of Miss iss aug a
(the "City") to enter into agreements between: (i) the City and Apple Inc. and;
(ii) the City and 3rd party customers/end-users, in a form satisfactory to Legal
Services.
3. That any other necessary by-laws be enacted.

I could see weekend riders being confused. The 202 has one of the strangest schedules of them all, running weekdays rush hour only and then daytime Saturday. MT just can't help itself screwing around with the Hurontario corridor. I just can imagine how bad things will be in September, when 19 and 202 will dump everyone at the 407 park and ride. At least the 2 Main loops through there so it's not being dumped at Kennedy and Britannia, and enough people will see a Brampton bus at Square One and figure it will take them to Brampton.

The 202 ending at the 407 suggests that the LRT route going straight though MCC will end at 407 (where they will be LRV storage). If so, I think that is a mistake. I think LRT riders should have an option to go from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton without detour. Remember, there will be 3 LRT routes (detour in MCC, no detour in MCC, and MCC circulator). So I think the 202 should be extended to Downtown Brampton. The 102 will become unnecessary when the 502 begins service anyways. Two core LRT routes planned means there should only be two express bus routes on Hurontario, not three.

The 202 ending at the 407 suggests that the LRT route going straight though MCC will end at 407 (where they will be LRV storage). If so, I think that is a mistake. I think LRT riders should have an option to go from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton without detour. Remember, there will be 3 LRT routes (detour in MCC, no detour in MCC, and MCC circulator). So I think the 202 should be extended to Downtown Brampton. The 102 will become unnecessary when the 502 begins service anyways. Two core LRT routes planned means there should only be two express bus routes on Hurontario, not three.

The LRT yard will be at 407, where the golf driving range is.

There will be 2/3 types of LRT service. One is to Sq One by the ring circle. Two: Will bypass Sq One to either SW or Downtown stopping in front of SW new terminal. There are issues still to be worked out if every 2nd LRT runs north of SW or not, and this will depend on the headway at that time. Again, there should be no every 2nd LRT going north of SW and only every train going north of SW or 407. To please a few, you screw a dozen or more.

You got to blame Brampton for the new 407 mess, as that what they wanted. This is a good case where Metrolinx needs to step in and say no to Brampton.

As for the 202, I need new data to see if what I have seen a few times in the past month south of Sq One is now standard or for a trip or 2 of high ridership at peak time. If it is standard, come Sept when the new changes come into effect, BT will not be able to handle the ridership and a lot of piss off riders dealing with all these extra buses transfers.

What I have seen for the 107, haft loads or less, leaving Sq One or SW.

I said to council, months before 202 even hit the streets, there should be a stop a John St for the GO service as well at Bristol. After all these years, Bristol finally got a stop. The most important stop for 202 is still missing and that is for Cooksville GO Station.

You got to blame Brampton for the new 407 mess, as that what they wanted. This is a good case where Metrolinx needs to step in and say no to Brampton.

Sorry Drum, you are totally wrong on this one.
Brampton did not want the 407 mess. MT wanted it. Brampton, after all, is the one puncturing municipal borders providing transit connections. Exhibit A: 101 Airport Express. Exhibit B: 15 Bramalea extension to Derry Road. Exhibit C: 51 Steeles West to Derry Road. Exhibit D: Extension of Route 7 and Route 2 well into Mississauga's industrial lands. Exhibit E: 501 Queen to York U. Exhibit F: 502 to Square One. Exhibit G: How many years has Brampton run route 18 to Courtneypark rather than the border?

How many routes does MT run into Brampton? Two daily routes, two rush-hour expresses, one rush-hour route, one rush hour branch. BT runs seven 7-day routes, plus one into Toronto, and one into Vaughan. In September, BT will run 8 daily routes into Brampton, MT will only run the 66 (all-day), 61A (half-assed rush hour route) and the 102 into Brampton. 3 vs. 8.

I know some of the BT planners. They never planned for MT to vacate Shoppers World. They think it is a mistake, but at least it makes life easier for them as the new SWB terminal is delayed, the departure of all but MT 102 makes it easier to find room in that mistake of a bus loop.

I rest my case.

BT alone has been pushing for integrated transit, moving its own routes miles beyond its borders. How about Mississauga besides Islington? Oh yeah, its retreating from Oakville for good.

MT wanted to end the 19 at 407 for years. With Brampton giving it the opportunity by providing its own BRT-lite to Square One, it has the chance. Don't blame Brampton for MT's problems.

Say NO to Mississauga!

Last edited:

Back