News   Apr 18, 2024
 238     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 403     0 

miWay Transit

The rerouting off Bancroft made the route a lot more useful as a north/south grid route by eliminating a 10 minute jog.
Looking at the weekday stop activity graphs (boardings+alightings combined) most of the increase in demand 2019 vs 2022 comes from transfer traffic at Eglinton, Bristol and Britannia with more people boarding/alighting in the Meadowvale Business Park, along Argentia, Syntex, Meadowpine, Meadowvale Blvd.

View attachment 465088View attachment 465089
Looking at the 2022 boardings/alightings people are getting off NB in the Meadowvale business park and on SB.
.View attachment 465091View attachment 465090
Very interesting!
It should be as the new route is faster and encourage people to use it more. Been calling for that change well over a decade along with other thing.

One change I would like to see happen that the route follows Central Parkway to Hurontario or become an branch line of 3, regardless been a long route. It would cut down on transferring and having to have to go through CCTT or transferring to 26 to get to Hurontario.

Route ridership is still saying Mississauga is missing the boat to get people to use transit while Brampton is running circles over it.
I've never really understand the rationale for the current route anyway. I used to take it to/from my high school back in the early 90s but never found it very useful otherwise considering it didn't go to Square One. Would normally take the 10 for that. Now that the 68 runs nearby that would be route to take, if I still took the bus anyway. But 38 is still useful because it passes by Erindale GO.

Very interesting!

I've never really understand the rationale for the current route anyway. I used to take it to/from my high school back in the early 90s but never found it very useful otherwise considering it didn't go to Square One. Would normally take the 10 for that. Now that the 68 runs nearby that would be route to take, if I still took the bus anyway. But 38 is still useful because it passes by Erindale GO.
One of the biggest problem for transit and traffic is the lack of a grid network, bridges over the Credit River, roads that are not end to end city wide and old low density areas.

You got 1 true e-w road south of the QEW, 4 north of the QEW and 5 n-s roads. The Queensway would only help if it was an end to end road.

You need to flatten 60% of Mississauga and start fresh.

Mississauga moving to make Miway free for those 12 and under and cap seniors fares at $1 all-day (unlimited rides for that day)

Also on the fare side, capping weekly fares at 11 for adult riders. (any ride after the 11th is free.).

Additional item of interest:

1680617198301.png

Mississauga moving to make Miway free for those 12 and under and cap seniors fares at $1 all-day (unlimited rides for that day)

Also on the fare side, capping weekly fares at 11 for adult riders. (any ride after the 11th is free.).

Additional item of interest:

View attachment 466482
That being taking place for years, other than senior had to pay full price at peak time. Have seen seniors get on at peak time and try to do the $1 fare where the driver says no or allow it..

Don't see much increase of ridership with this fare change as they makeup a small percentage of riders, Quality of service will help to increase ridership 7 days a week for those who are paying full fare.

Only 15% model split and it has only gone up 2% in 20 years, As long as the city keeps density low and having high density in only a few areas, ridership will remain low along with the long travel times.

Had my first look and ride on 2229 today from the 407 loop to CCTT

You could still smell the newest of the bus. 33 seats not counting the rear block off seat and maintain Mississauga is the only system in the world doing this.

Finally flip down seats for the accessibility area and long over due. USB in the centre of the double seats with a blue light and the centre of the single seat. Smooth ride.

Bench seats on driver side and duel on the other side. 2 single seats at the rear area.

DSC_4264.JPG

DSC_4261.JPG

DSC_4265.JPG

DSC_4266.JPG

... only system in the world that blocks off seats to try to prevent it from being sue over an injury while creating a greater risk of having more people standing and going flying if the bus has to brake sharply...
https://www.insauga.com/miway-buses-in-mississauga-now-have-seats-that-are-unsafe-to-sit-in/
Miway_bus_back_row_middle_seat_2.jpg

Have they ever offered an attempt to explain this complete nonsense? What could it possibly be? What is the supposed "protection" that is missing from these seats? Did some childlike mind think of something along the lines of "I can hold myself up by bracing my arms on the back of the seat in front of me (as if you would know several seconds ahead of time when it was about to happen?), but not in those seats"?
In over 40 years of riding buses, I have never seen or heard of anything that would cause a sane adult to conclude these seats were more unsafe than other seats.

Last edited:
https://www.insauga.com/miway-buses-in-mississauga-now-have-seats-that-are-unsafe-to-sit-in/
View attachment 473480
Have they ever offered an attempt to explain this complete nonsense? What could it possibly be? Did some child-like mind think of something along the lines of "I can hold myself up by bracing my arms on the seat in front of me (as if you would know several seconds ahead of time when it was about to happen?), but not in those seats"?
In over 40 years of riding buses, I have never seen or heard of anything that would cause a sane person to conclude these seats were more unsafe than other seats.
Any seat that has no protection in front of it either has this bracket, tape off or folded up right in a fix position.

I haven't heard anything officially, but it had to do over a lawsuit and trying to protect the city from more legal action.

We rode 20 different systems in Europe last year as well a number of US systems on buses ranging from 2022 to 2011 and not one had these brackets for the same layout of Mississauga buses. A number of buses had plastic seats that were slippery and made adjustments from sliding based on how the driver stop.

The brackets and tape off have taken 4 seats out of service. The new 2022 buses have the rear seat block off like above with protection in front of other seats now or been removed.

Its the Mickey bus system these days and not dealing with the root of the cause for this dumb thing.

Out of 10,000's of seats on 1,000's of systems worldwide, why is Mississauga the only one doing this??

Any seat that has no protection in front of it either has this bracket, tape off or folded up right in a fix position.

I haven't heard anything officially, but it had to do over a lawsuit and trying to protect the city from more legal action.

We rode 20 different systems in Europe last year as well a number of US systems on buses ranging from 2022 to 2011 and not one had these brackets for the same layout of Mississauga buses. A number of buses had plastic seats that were slippery and made adjustments from sliding based on how the driver stop.

The brackets and tape off have taken 4 seats out of service. The new 2022 buses have the rear seat block off like above with protection in front of other seats now or been removed.

Its the Mickey bus system these days and not dealing with the root of the cause for this dumb thing.

Out of 10,000's of seats on 1,000's of systems worldwide, why is Mississauga the only one doing this??
It's literally so dumb. I'm embarrassed for Miway.

It's literally so dumb. I'm embarrassed for Miway.
The first Time I saw it I said it was a dumb thing. It removed up to 4 seats and open the city up to greater risk with more people standing when the caused is either the bus driver or the bus been cut off by a car.

Hi @drum118 (and everyone else here), are you on the new transit advisory committee? What's your take on it?
No.......My take on it, it will be weak since the city is setting the policy of it. Interviews close last week as far as I know. Too soon to know who on it other than the 2 councilors I know very well.

The city wants someone from each ward along with 2 councilors and 1 or 2 from transit. Meeting is every 3 months and it should be less

Even though I have been calling for one close to 20 years and my involvement with a few groups, finding people who will stick the 4 years out and look at the system as a whole is going to be tough on the public side. I have seen people join groups to deal with an issue they have and once its resolved or cannot not, they leave the group. Some join to be in a social club and not willing to put themselves on the front line. Main reason I became a lone wolf and speak before various councils, TTC commissioner's, government officials etc.

One needs to do their homework first and show the cause of x as well have options how to deal with the issue(s).

I have pasted onto council and staff various recommendations for forming a committee, as well how a number of systems in the US are setup including the paperwork since I know a few in the upper ranks who run some of these committees.

City road projects planned for 2023 are now available here, under the "Planned road and stormwater projects by ward" tab.

Timelines for higher order transit corridors in the City:
1684266444778.png

1684266718898.png

New Enhanced Bus Shelter and Queue Jump Lanes planned for 2023 at:
- Cawthra Road at Arbor Road – Carmen Corbasson Community Centre (Ward 1)
- Derry Road East at Tomken Road (Ward 5)
- Derry Road East at Kennedy Road (Ward 5)
- Derry Road West at Mavis Road (Ward 11)

Enhanced Shelter Concepts: https://pub-mississauga.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=21239
MiWay Enhanced Shelter Program - 03 07 2022 - rev 1_Page_6.jpg

MiWay Enhanced Shelter Program - 03 07 2022 - rev 1_Page_7.jpg

MiWay Enhanced Shelter Program - 03 07 2022 - rev 1_Page_8.jpg

The first of these enhanced bus shelters have started to be installed. Thanks to ICIP infrastructure funding these enhanced bus shelters will be installed at major stops along Erin Mills/Southdown (south of Erin Mills TC), Eglinton, Dixie and Derry. The one pictured below is a 12m version at Erin Mills and Leanne; concrete foundations and electrical infrastructure has been put in place at other stops along Erin Mills and along Dixie.

The shelters feature larger waiting areas with enclosed heated spaces, more seating options and lighting. Depending on capital budget funding they may be installed at stops outside the 4 corridors mentioned above.

The Queue jump lanes are part of the package and some stops will have them implemented but it depends on road design and available space as well as existing stop locations and whether they can be relocated to far sides of intersections.

84CF78D0-A93C-4A8E-BCCE-7C59D197C96D_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_3158.jpeg
IMG_3169.jpeg
IMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3148.jpeg
IMG_3166.jpeg
IMG_3152.jpeg
IMG_3153.jpeg

Transit Priority recommendations, from the Mississauga Transportation Master Plan (TMP):

https://www.mississaugatrip.ca/ , under "Transit Priority", "Recommended Network – Transit" and "Recommended Network Phasing"

page-15-map-1.jpg

page-15-key-1.jpg

The recommended transit network includes:

64 km of dedicated bus lanes
37 km of enhanced transit corridors
120% increase in ridership by 2041 (from 2016)

Dedicated Lanes:
Medium Term:
Derry Road - Winston Churchill Boulevard or Millcreek Drive to Goreway Drive
Burnhamthorpe Road - Creditview Road/Central Parkway to Etobicoke Creek
Dixie Road - Drew Road to Sherway Drive

Long Term:
Eglinton Avenue - Ninth Line to Creekbank Road/Eastgate Parkway/Mississauga Transitway
Dundas Street (Dundas BRT, Mississauga West) - Ninth Line to Confederation Parkway

Enhanced Corridor Improvements (HOV/transit lanes):
Medium Term:
Britannia Road - Highway 407 to Hurontario Street
Bloor Street - Cawthra Road to Etobicoke Creek
Winston Churchill Boulevard - Aquitaine Avenue to Lakeshore Road
Erin Mills Parkway/Southdown Road - Dundas Street to Lakeshore Road
Mavis Road - Highway 407 to Rathburn Road

Glad to see Derry being a priority for the possibility of bus lanes. It was the most frequent Miway route (i think ever) coming at least every 5 mins last year and for a route that runs 85% through industrial and commercial areas that is super impressive.

To be fair most of it does come from being the border bus line of where most north-south Brampton Transit buses cross (and sometimes continue further down like Hurontario/Dixie/Kennedy), and where most north-south MiWay buses end. The ridership probably is a mix of that mentioned and the fact that it almost goes from end to end through the entire city and ends at popular communities on each side.

Burnhamthorpe and Dixie also makes sense and if those get built as well as Dundas/Lakeshore RT's, we could be seeing a whole different transit world in Mississauga.

Back