News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 727     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

miWay Transit

Will there be any addition in the capacity or will all 165 new buses replace 165 old buses?
Its reducing capacity at this time due to COVID ridership numbers: 43 0300, 71 0500, 52 0600, 34 0700 = 200 buses + 43 0800 doing the 15 years cycle. The EZ buses for 0700 and 0800 have already been replaced. Then you have the articulated buses that retire after 12 years where an special was place for some of them that came express and repainted to local. The articulates are being replace on scheduled with some being part of the current order. Some 0600 and 0700 will hang around until 2024 next order.

Don't see any increase in services or the need for expansion under council current thinking for a few years due to the higher cost going to all Hybrid buses now, It will become worse once we move to ebuses. Then us have the declining fuel taxes to add the funding as we move to battery power vehicles.

For a city of its sizes using a 30% model split, it should see an average of about 500,000 trips today, but only seeing 250,000 which is not much different from 2003.

As long as the city keeps high density in only a few areas, most routes will see low ridership and poor quality of service.

I would love to see what the ridership numbers are for Brampton 502 just for Mississauga to see where ridership is for Hurontario as its still the number 1 route for Mississauga using current numbers for it. Giving the shortness of the 103 route these days, it still carries close to 50% of the ridership that reinforce the needs to have an LRV bypassing Sq One CCTT as well the future LRT loop.

With the city moving to design stage for part of the the BRT line for Dundas and Lakeshore, those routes will see better service, but no density to support it.
The 165 buses are all replacement buses to replace 2003-2006 40' buses and the 2010 60' buses. There is no reduction because many of the 2003 buses were retired and replaced in 2018 and 2019. Further 16 40' buses will be replaced by 16 60' buses for a increase in capacity.
On next week's General Committee agenda there is a report requesting pre-budget approval to purchase 82 40' buses in 2024 to replace the 2007 and 2008 40' buses. Tender will be issued in March and delivery of buses targeted for Q2 2024. https://pub-mississauga.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=37597

The 165 buses are all replacement buses to replace 2003-2006 40' buses and the 2010 60' buses. There is no reduction because many of the 2003 buses were retired and replaced in 2018 and 2019. Further 16 40' buses will be replaced by 16 60' buses for a increase in capacity.
On next week's General Committee agenda there is a report requesting pre-budget approval to purchase 82 40' buses in 2024 to replace the 2007 and 2008 40' buses. Tender will be issued in March and delivery of buses targeted for Q2 2024. https://pub-mississauga.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=37597
Thanks.

Since I moved to the sideline 5 years ago, not on top of things like I was then, but lack of buses of the 2 styles has an impact on riders one way or another to the point you have the wrong colour on the wrong route. I have no issues having 2 colours since I call for it as far back as 2005. Until the all the over due buses schedule for retirement are replace by 2024, wrong colour will be an issue.

Ebuses will be the next thing that needs to happen and like in the past, council will be pushing it down the road due to the cost of them being way higher than hybrids as well being real high over diesel buses along converting the existing garages. Now when was that 3rd garage to be built as its been kick down the road far too long.

Will be moving off the sideline this year.

All remaining 0300's should be retired this month if delivery continues like it is now.

Moving from 40's to 60's may increase capacity, but doesn't improve quality of service which is more important. It does increase cost ratio doing this to a point.

Are these buses getting replaced? - https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/mississauga-city-bus-miway-system-called-44860842.jpg

I am not a fan of this old colour scheme.

Are these buses getting replaced? - https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/mississauga-city-bus-miway-system-called-44860842.jpg

I am not a fan of this old colour scheme.
Yes. The 700's, 800's and 900's have been replaced with the 1700's, since there were only 33 of them and only seeing 12 year life cycle from what I call. Not a great bus at all.

Never a fan of white. Not a real fan of the new colours, but better than the white. Should follow Orlando systems as they have over 6 different colours for local routes with a few I would drop.

I live next to route 35 and 7 and I see these old buses more than the new buses on these routes. I would love to see the old ones gone.
You will have to wait until 2025 for all the white buses are gone, though the 2024 buses replacement will do most of it if council approves the request next week to order them this year.

I have seen the various colours on those route at various time.

4 22xx XDE40 are now in service and the first of the 167 for 22xx and 23xx.

Reactions: jys
I obtained MiWay's automated passenger counter (APC) data for the October 2022 service period (Late October-mid December) and used the data I already had from the October 2019 service period to do a deep analysis of MiWay ridership and demand changes pre-and post covid. All figures are based on data from the October service periods. I will post a quick overview of things and then leave the rest of the files for download and perusal. Note that boardings refer to unlinked trips, not ridership.

System Overview, with boardings on weekends exceeding pre-covid levels
RESIZE MiWay System Summary SCHEDULED.jpg
Average boardings per route Weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays for October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period (Link if image is compressed too much)

PNG MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - WEEKDAYS.pngRESIZE MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - SATURDAYS.jpgPNG MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - SUNDAYS.png

System boardings per clock hour for Weekdays, Saturdays, and Sundays October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period

RESIZE WEEKDAY SYSTEM CLOCK HOUR.jpgRESIZE SATURDAY SYSTEM CLOCK HOUR.jpgRESIZE SUNDAY SYSTEM CLOCK HOUR.jpg

MiWay top 500 stops with increase in weekday stop activity (boardings + alightings) and top 500 stops with decrease October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period. Green indicates 500 stops with highest increase in weekday activity, red indicates 500 stops with biggest decrease in weekday activity.

RESIZE Top 500 map final with labels.jpg

And full sets of graphs for the following:
Weekday, Saturday and Sunday boardings per clock hour for each route October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period Weekday Saturday Sunday

Weekday total stop activity (Boardings + Alightings) for each route October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period Link

Weekday boardings and alightings, load pattern for each route October 2022 service period only. Note load pattern (red line) is not graphed against the axis and is meant to provide a idea of general demand pattern Link

List of top 500 stops with increase/decrease in weekday activity Link

Closed door reports for October 2022 service period Link

Closed door reports for January 2023 Link

Attachments

• RESIZE MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - WEEKDAYS.jpg
    RESIZE MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - WEEKDAYS.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 117
  • MiWay Boardings Per Route Twitter 1.png
    MiWay Boardings Per Route Twitter 1.png
    304.5 KB · Views: 85
  • MiWay Boardings Per Route.pdf
    129 KB · Views: 163
  • PNG MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - WEEKDAYS.png
    PNG MiWay Boardings Per Route Final - WEEKDAYS.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I obtained MiWay's automated passenger counter (APC) data for the October 2022 service period (Late October-mid December) and used the data I already had from the October 2019 service period to do a deep analysis of MiWay ridership and demand changes pre-and post covid. All figures are based on data from the October service periods. I will post a quick overview of things and then leave the rest of the files for download and perusal. Note that boardings refer to unlinked trips, not ridership.

System Overview, with boardings on weekends exceeding pre-covid levels
View attachment 464749
Average boardings per route Weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays for October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period (Link if image is compressed too much)

View attachment 464767View attachment 464751View attachment 464752

System boardings per clock hour for Weekdays, Saturdays, and Sundays October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period

View attachment 464753View attachment 464754View attachment 464755

MiWay top 500 stops with increase in weekday stop activity (boardings + alightings) and top 500 stops with decrease October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period. Green indicates 500 stops with highest increase in weekday activity, red indicates 500 stops with biggest decrease in weekday activity.

View attachment 464756

And full sets of graphs for the following:
Weekday, Saturday and Sunday boardings per clock hour for each route October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period Weekday Saturday Sunday

Weekday total stop activity (Boardings + Alightings) for each route October 2022 service period vs October 2019 service period Link

Weekday boardings and alightings, load pattern for each route October 2022 service period only. Note load pattern (red line) is not graphed against the axis and is meant to provide a idea of general demand pattern Link

List of top 500 stops with increase/decrease in weekday activity Link

Closed door reports for October 2022 service period Link

Closed door reports for January 2023 Link

Normally, I don't want to take up thread space just to offer accolades; but your post is one of those clear exceptions! Excellent work. Thank you!

There’s a lot to the map you just posted that I missed originally: where it shows the top 500 bus stops with an increase in boardings and the 500 bus stops with the biggest drops.

It’s quite clear that it’s the warehouses and factories driving the ridership in the northeast, near the airport lands, along with Malton, and Routes 61/66 to Sheridan College Brampton.

The declines are less clustered, but are generally on the south and southeast sides of the city, where routes generally feed into the subway (Dundas being an exception).

Interesting to see 38 Creditview have its ridership up. I wonder if it's because of the rerouting of Bancroft/Silken Laumann. Can't remember what year that was.

The rerouting off Bancroft made the route a lot more useful as a north/south grid route by eliminating a 10 minute jog.
Looking at the weekday stop activity graphs (boardings+alightings combined) most of the increase in demand 2019 vs 2022 comes from transfer traffic at Eglinton, Bristol and Britannia with more people boarding/alighting in the Meadowvale Business Park, along Argentia, Syntex, Meadowpine, Meadowvale Blvd.

RESIZE 38 NORTH.pngRESIZE 38 SOUTH.png
Looking at the 2022 boardings/alightings people are getting off NB in the Meadowvale business park and on SB.
.RESIZE 38 NORTH BA.pngRESIZE 38 SOUTH BA.png

I’m happy Lisgar GO seems to be getting more attention now. 38 is the only Miway route that goes there but there’s good destinations in both directions so that makes up for it. Brampton has been generating some riders going to employment areas near the station, so Zum has been getting more populated which is amazing news. GO buses will now run the station all 7 days with 30 min service as part of their new rerouting of the Milton line buses in April. Finally of course the new local Milton Transit on Steeles which is getting some ridership already.

Lisgar is one of the only few stations in the GTA with 3 or more local transit agency connections which is a really nice thing. Just wish we could get a route that goes down Tenth Line (again?), that would probably do nice.

Interesting to see 38 Creditview have its ridership up. I wonder if it's because of the rerouting of Bancroft/Silken Laumann. Can't remember what year that was.
It should be as the new route is faster and encourage people to use it more. Been calling for that change well over a decade along with other thing.

One change I would like to see happen that the route follows Central Parkway to Hurontario or become an branch line of 3, regardless been a long route. It would cut down on transferring and having to have to go through CCTT or transferring to 26 to get to Hurontario.

Route ridership is still saying Mississauga is missing the boat to get people to use transit while Brampton is running circles over it.

Back