News   Apr 19, 2024
 403     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.3K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The TTC has always been shit at being consistent when there are suspensions. I've had times where shuttles would drop you in front and anyone could walk in (gates were opened) times when they'd give a paper transfer (weekend closures) then the next weekend you had to tap to go on and nobody gave transfers.

Yeah, it was similar in Tokyo when I visited, oh geez, almost a decade ago.
Paris too (though is that newish - I saw it last month, but I didn't recall it when I was there 20 years ago).

Seoul also had it 20 years ago. Very useful! London can be a nightmare, they should introduce it. Some of our downtown stations could benefit from it.

I saw a sleeping person on the 2 line yesterday and nothing new.

At Davisville, we were told trains that our train would be turn back at Eglinton for security reason north of it with no option as what was to happen. While at Eglinton, announcements were make about trains turning back at Eglinton over this security issue, still nothing on shuttle buses which would time to find and put into service.

After I told a look around the Eglinton station and taking some photos and head back from the north end to get an southbound train, overhead a conversation between an supervisor and a rider. They said due to a crackhead on their train and after everyone moved away from him based on his yelling, saying things, but most of all, they started to smoke crack that they and others got off at Eglinton and that was the most likely reason for the security. The supervisor then inform the riders and others that train will be bypassing the Lawrence station over the security matter.

After getting on the southbound train and walked toward the front end, found 2 more people layout on the seats sleeping,

Every time I have said I have seen everything taking place downtown, I see something new with most been the mentality issues of people of all ages with one case at Queen station and 3 as I walk to Church St along Queen..

There are people who will refused to get help or be help on all levels and how do you deal with these people other than locking them up against their will. TTC is in a catch 22 position as well the police other than put then in a cell for a day or 2 only have to release them as help can't be found for them in that short timeframe.

As for Open Doors, last year for the McCowan Carhouse and the line to get shots that will fill the history book for a system that should never had been built or forced onto TTC in the first place.

Sounds like the same nutter I saw on the 506 the other day. Was shouting loudly about killing people, and doing kung-fu chops at people (in the air).

To me there's about ten times more of this than there was pre-Covid. For the time being, I don't see much solution other than forcibly institutionalizing them until the housing situation can be normalized.

Who was running the streetcar service today as it was a mess

Waited 15 minutes for a northbound 510 while on the QQ after seeing a 509 and 2 510 heading east to Union. We ended up being held up at the Lakeshore with another 510 coming out of the loop as well a parade. We end up cutting through the parade after about 10 minutes later.

Noticed a number 509's coming south on Spadina. As we near King, the driver said our car was out of service at King. After we got off, it sat at Adelaide for 10 minutes on Spadina as there were already 2 sitting on Adelaide as I walked to have a look and most likely 2 more on Charlotte St as it can hold 2 easy. On top of that there was an southbound out of service car on Spadina waiting to turn onto Adelaide. No 510 in sight with one showing up 15 minutes later from the south, not the loop of all things. A few minutes later, my out of service car final turn onto Adelaide allowing us to go north.

I counted 9 out of service car from Adelaide to Dundas and no other route number. Counted 2 510 north of Dundas as well 3 more out of service cars. Saw another 2 510 and an out of service car north of the loop to the portal. No car at the station with a good size of crowd waiting for my car. What with this mess??

It seem the 509 were on detour by the way of Dundas and Bathurst as a 509 had pull up to the southbound King platform as we were crossing King as well seeing a few at Front. There was an 509 in front of my car.

Saw a number of 504D buses going up to Dundas and then sitting in a parking lot on Dundas going east.

Queen was a mix bag with some huge gaps over 10 minutes.

Traffic itself was mess with Bay close north of Queen with the Bay buses using Yonge. Traffic on Bay was backup south of Queen and south of Front when I pass the area.

York was close at the Lake Shore and Harbour in both directions with traffic backup well pass the Simcoe Off ramp from what I could see as well to Bay.

I went to the Kipling Hub as it was raining and wasn't going to stand out in the rain for my bus and a good thing i did it. It said 10 minutes for my bus, but never show up until the next one 31 minutes later doing a stop and go. Found out what happen to my missing bus as we went up Auckland. It had an ambulance in front of it. Either the driver or rider were sick or someone got injured on the bus.

Another lawsuit if the person was injured and maybe more seats will have to be block off preventing riders sitting down. They have installed 2 flip seats at the front that have no protection in front of one seat with one in an upright lock position. No less than 7 riders try to pull the lock down with some wear looks as why it couldn't flip down. The only system in the world that blocks off seats to try to prevent it from being sue over an injury while creating a greater risk of having more people standing and going flying if the bus has to brake sharply.

It only took me an extra 1.5 hours to get home today.

Who was running the streetcar service today as it was a mess

Waited 15 minutes for a northbound 510 while on the QQ after seeing a 509 and 2 510 heading east to Union. We ended up being held up at the Lakeshore with another 510 coming out of the loop as well a parade. We end up cutting through the parade after about 10 minutes later.

Noticed a number 509's coming south on Spadina. As we near King, the driver said our car was out of service at King. After we got off, it sat at Adelaide for 10 minutes on Spadina as there were already 2 sitting on Adelaide as I walked to have a look and most likely 2 more on Charlotte St as it can hold 2 easy. On top of that there was an southbound out of service car on Spadina waiting to turn onto Adelaide. No 510 in sight with one showing up 15 minutes later from the south, not the loop of all things. A few minutes later, my out of service car final turn onto Adelaide allowing us to go north.

I counted 9 out of service car from Adelaide to Dundas and no other route number. Counted 2 510 north of Dundas as well 3 more out of service cars. Saw another 2 510 and an out of service car north of the loop to the portal. No car at the station with a good size of crowd waiting for my car. What with this mess??

It seem the 509 were on detour by the way of Dundas and Bathurst as a 509 had pull up to the southbound King platform as we were crossing King as well seeing a few at Front. There was an 509 in front of my car.

Saw a number of 504D buses going up to Dundas and then sitting in a parking lot on Dundas going east.

Queen was a mix bag with some huge gaps over 10 minutes.

Traffic itself was mess with Bay close north of Queen with the Bay buses using Yonge. Traffic on Bay was backup south of Queen and south of Front when I pass the area.

York was close at the Lake Shore and Harbour in both directions with traffic backup well pass the Simcoe Off ramp from what I could see as well to Bay.

I went to the Kipling Hub as it was raining and wasn't going to stand out in the rain for my bus and a good thing i did it. It said 10 minutes for my bus, but never show up until the next one 31 minutes later doing a stop and go. Found out what happen to my missing bus as we went up Auckland. It had an ambulance in front of it. Either the driver or rider were sick or someone got injured on the bus.

Another lawsuit if the person was injured and maybe more seats will have to be block off preventing riders sitting down. They have installed 2 flip seats at the front that have no protection in front of one seat with one in an upright lock position. No less than 7 riders try to pull the lock down with some wear looks as why it couldn't flip down. The only system in the world that blocks off seats to try to prevent it from being sue over an injury while creating a greater risk of having more people standing and going flying if the bus has to brake sharply.

It only took me an extra 1.5 hours to get home today.
The Vaisakhi, also known as Khalsa Day, parade kicks off at 1:00 PM from the Canadian National Exhibition grounds and travels east to Toronto City Hall, finishing at 3:30 PM.

Had to dig for that information. The city is not doing its job in providing information on upcoming celebrations, parades, or detours.

BTW. There's a Labour Day Parade and Santa Claus Parade coming later this year. Maybe even a Maple Leaf winning the Stanley Cup parade this year.

The Vaisakhi, also known as Khalsa Day, parade kicks off at 1:00 PM from the Canadian National Exhibition grounds and travels east to Toronto City Hall, finishing at 3:30 PM.

Had to dig for that information. The city is not doing its job in providing information on upcoming celebrations, parades, or detours.

BTW. There's a Labour Day Parade and Santa Claus Parade coming later this year. Maybe even a Maple Leaf winning the Stanley Cup parade this year.
Another example of lack on communication on levels as well informing transit rides to use another route. Oh!! it cost to much money to post service disruptions as well most riders don't read them in the first place.

I just caught the beginning of Khalasa Day parade as the police were leading the way at Spadina. If the parade was to go up York, it would be an zoo. It would be an zoo for traffic regardless which route it took since you had the Blue Jay game on at the same time.

That is why the 509 was on detour.

The other 2 parades have been around longer than any of us and will be around after we go. No parade this year for a leaf.

According to Steve Munro ( https://stevemunro.ca/2023/05/01/king-streetcars-return-to-king-street/ ) the 504 King streetcars are again running on King from Broadview to KQR and will be going up to Dundas West on 7 May.
Been told a few platforms are not done and may not be ready for the 7th.

TTC streetcars resume regular routing along King Street

May 1, 2023

As of 5 a.m. this morning, May 1, 504 King streetcars resumed regular routing both ways from Dufferin Gate Loop to Broadview Station.

TTC crews worked overnight to complete upgrades to overhead electrical wiring to support pantograph operation for all streetcars along this portion of the route.

Pantograph is hardware mounted on the roofs of streetcars that collect power through contact with overhead lines.

TTC has begun public engagement for its new 5-year plan:

Direct link to survey:

I filled out the above.

It tends to concentrate on multiple-choice priorities both for construction disruptions but also for funding (what if we have less, what if we have the same, what if we have more?)

Priorities generally look something like More/same/less frequent service, longer/same/shorter span of service, more/same/less distance between stops, more/less express service.

Within the above parameters, I generally chose, greater distance between stops, more service frequency, greater span of service (more night routes), and status quo on Express services.

They do provide write-in boxes for most questions, where I noted the need to focus on service reliability, and to spend less on fare enforcement if the enforcers are going to stand around chatting and doing nothing, which seems to be the norm. Finally, I argued that service reliability is key and that evenly spaced vehicles would do more to improve rider experience on most surface routes than more vehicles.

There is also a section looking at rider experience and asking about new investments and to prioritize among, pre-trip investments (trip planners etc.); stop amenities (heated shelters, benches), station amenities (retail/vending etc.), and post-trip amenities ( the ability to track your own movement, time on transit etc.)

I prioritized the middle two and don't understand why anyone would care about the latter.

I argued for getting an LCD display at every surface stop not just to display next vehicle times, but to be usable to communicate service disruption/detours on route in real time. I supported more vending machines, but also argued for more washrooms at busy stations.

Is this a GO bus or TTC bus?

Back