News   Mar 28, 2024
 207     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 213     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 270     0 

Mississauga Soccer Stadium (Canadian Premier League, other events)

The suggested location is awful - it needs to be close to transit at the bare minimum, and def not with acres of parking!
Imo, I've often thought that an (modest) arena or stadium could be a good use to buffer the city centre from the noise and pollution of Highway 403 - and a use that could activate the City Centre

After doing a bit of ... drawing on the back of a napkin for comparison purposes.

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 09.13.14.png

The scale is slightly off, and I just picked a random spot that it would fit - but you get the idea - a big 20,000 seater stadium would fit in the City Centre's general scale without too much chaos. A 10k or 15k seater with room for future expansion would be cheaper to build, of course.
Whether you could persuade the City to build a stadium without acres of parking lots... is another matter.

(the screenshot is of Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles, California)

a big 20,000 seater stadium would fit in the City Centre's general scale without too much chaos.
It does seem like a miss that Mississauga isn’t considering putting the stadium around Square One. My guess is that there’s no city land there that fits the bill and expropriation would be too expensive. There seems to be a sense of urgency around the timing (funding related from what i can tell in the article?)

It does seem like a miss that Mississauga isn’t considering putting the stadium around Square One. My guess is that there’s no city land there that fits the bill and expropriation would be too expensive. There seems to be a sense of urgency around the timing (funding related from what i can tell in the article?)
They could find a developer willing to allow it on their land in lieu of height restriction/density easement. Heck, maybe even have the developer subsidize it by allowing a condo/hotel/whatever to be constructed alongside it. But, I digress; this is Mississauga, afterall...

It looks like MIssissauga has no idea how to properly plan it's City Centre, I really have no idea what they are doing.
nobody does. i grew up there and thought it was normal until i moved to Toronto. after living there for a bit, i realized i never wanted to go back, it's just terrible. it's not walkable.

i can't for the life of me understand why every road is 6 lanes yet the traffic is still worse there than it is in Toronto. Cycling is better there but it still sucks.

i can't for the life of me understand why every road is 6 lanes yet the traffic is still worse there than it is in Toronto.
Great article on this phenomenon (“induced demand”) in Bloomberg from earlier this week:

That's a disappointing location. I understand that this is probably the easiest option from many perspectives, but it will be very far away from all the action and will be largely inaccessible for most of Mississauga. I believe some of their reasoning for justifying this is the future 407 Transitway corridor, where it will technically be connected to the rapid transit system.

My personal preferred location is Paul Gilbert Memorial Field/Mississauga Valley Park. There is a CFL-sized surface there that could easily be turned into a decent-sized stadium, with stands on all sides except the southwest (there is a creek in the way) that could be either FIFA-sized or dual CFL/FIFA. There is also a community centre there that could be expanded and integrated into the stadium area as an athletic complex.

I thought they originally were looking for a spot close to the city centre. If this is the best we’re getting they might as well move it directly beside the raptor 905 location.

Why doesn’t Brampton and Mississauga come together and build a joint stadium on Hurontario between the 401 and 407? I don’t know why this councillor is pushing this like it’s any sort of good idea.

Cycling is better there but it still sucks.

This is a joke, right? Besides the poor infrastructure, drivers here are horrible at dealing with cyclists. My friends and I are always forced to take up a whole lane when we do group rides, because drivers will try to pass in the most dangerous ways if you don't do that. I've never been on a road in Toronto (besides Kingston) where that was necessary.

You've been gone for too long if you think cycling is better in Mississauga than in Toronto. There are practically no ways to get to the lake from North of the QEW without putting yourself at risk. Dixie, Cawthra, Hurontario, Erin Mills, Winston Churchill all suck, and Mississauga Rd. is only marginally better.

Any major sports/entertainment venue in the GTA suburbs that would hope to have events regularly attracting thousands of people would almost certainly be a failure. The Mississauga (7000-seats) and Brampton (5000-seats) arenas built in 1998 for junior hockey teams have been largely ignored. The big amphitheatre (Kingswood Music Theatre) at Canada's Wonderland briefly thrived after it was built in the 1980s when the only downtown competition was grubby old Maple Leaf Gardens, but it was then quickly forgotten after SkyDome, Molson Amphitheatre, and Air Canada Centre were built.
A 5000-seat soccer stadium was to be built and open for Canada Day 2015 in Vaughan.
https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_...toronto-fc-and-vaughan-partner-in-new-stadium
In reality the "stadium" turned out to be small aluminum bench stands of about 10 rows on one side of the field, that looked like they might have been capable of holding a few hundred people, although most of the time it was only a few dozen spectators.

Last edited:
Any "major" sports/entertainment venue in the GTA suburbs that would hope to have events regularly attracting thousands of people would almost certainly be a failure. The Mississauga (7000-seats) and Brampton (5000-seats) arenas built in 1998 for junior hockey teams have been largely ignored. The big amphitheatre (Kingswood Music Theatre) at Canada's Wonderland briefly thrived after it was built in the 1980s when the only downtown competition was grubby old Maple Leaf Gardens, but it was then quickly forgotten after SkyDome, Molson Amphitheatre, and Air Canada Centre were built.
A 5000-seat soccer stadium was to be built and open for Canada Day 2015 in Vaughan.
https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_...toronto-fc-and-vaughan-partner-in-new-stadium
In reality the "stadium" turned out to be small aluminum bench stands of about 10 rows on one side of the field, that looked like they might have been capable of holding a few hundred people, although most of the time it was only a few dozen spectators.
Well this is a pretty negative take. Especially considering the booming suburbs. There is no doubt Mississauga or Vaughan or whatever 905 burb will ever be Toronto. That’s true. But this is like throwing your hands up and giving up.

The fact is that the city centre land is so valuable no one wants to risk using it for a sports stadium. That doesn’t mean one will never work.

Back