News   Apr 24, 2024
 947     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 617     0 

Mississauga Soccer Stadium (Canadian Premier League, other events)

I have no idea how that relates to a couple of pension plans taking valuable land and using it for a small soccer stadium for a fledgling league that has not identified an owner for a team in Mississauga?

The city is conducting a study to see if and, perhaps, where they should build a stadium....if the city is going to do this (again, if I was a taxpayer in 'sauga I would be very wary) I suspect they will do it on land that they already own or can acquire very cheaply.....not sure any land in the SQ1 area fits that bill.
I agree. I don't think SQ1 will get involved other than being a sponsor perhaps.

They can always consider Mississauga Valley.
5acf105f-ec62-4dc0-a963-66b253f0ffe5_zpsccpepam8.JPG

Attachments

• 5acf105f-ec62-4dc0-a963-66b253f0ffe5_zpsccpepam8.JPG
    5acf105f-ec62-4dc0-a963-66b253f0ffe5_zpsccpepam8.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 1,124
^ I think that's my favourite suggestion so far. Nice open space that's already Sport-focused, close to the future Hurontario LRT, and the city skyline becomes a nice backdrop.

They can always consider Mississauga Valley.
View attachment 150364
Looks great.

Baseball and soccer may be popular, but Mississauga has a large population of people from countries where cricket is extremely popular as well. I see room for a reasonable cricket oval there.

A proper soccer facility is most important in the area though. Cricket can wait.

... should add the CPL is targeting 5,000 to 6,000 fans a game, and the non-cfl stadiums will be around 5,000 to 7,000 capacity. Its already been discussed here that the York team is looking at a stadium in this size that is expandable for future. Spruce Meadows in Calgary is also ensuring they can do future expansion (they will be hosting Calgary's CPL team Cavalry FC).

... should add the CPL is targeting 5,000 to 6,000 fans a game, and the non-cfl stadiums will be around 5,000 to 7,000 capacity. Its already been discussed here that the York team is looking at a stadium in this size that is expandable for future. Spruce Meadows in Calgary is also ensuring they can do future expansion (they will be hosting Calgary's CPL team Cavalry FC).

York 9 FC is using Bear Stadiums for their field, which is both modular and made from wood. This solution could work well in Mississauga can could offer an expandable and cost effective solution. York 9 is targeting 15,000 seats to start, and are looking for a location that is central in York Region (I've seen rumours that it will be near Kirby GO). Thread here.

huA9pzi.jpg

The Forge FC (Hamilton) will play out of Tim Horton's Field, but at a reduced capacity of around 14,000. These larger capacities are ambitious for sure, and compared to Halifax's 7,000ish person stadium are very large. I'd hope that Mississauga takes potential future league size into consideration when building a stadium, as I think the sport and CPL has plenty of room to grow. Forge FC's setup below.

new_Forge-FC-Rendering-2-730x413.jpg

new_Forge-FC-Rendering-3-730x413.jpg

^15k for York9 seems dramatic overkill. They were the first team to announce and the first to start sales of memberships and I don't think they have hit the 200 mark yet.

Also, not sure how that wood structure will hold up if there is a cup match against TFC and the Inebriatti show up in full "road trip to Ottawa" style! :)

Seriously, this league has to stay away from GTA teams for a while (I would suggest a long while)....get established elsewhere where they have a chance to get between 5k and 10k through the doors.........but going into the GTA and getting the sort of crowds that York seems to be indicating will be a real debbie downer for the league.

^15k for York9 seems dramatic overkill. They were the first team to announce and the first to start sales of memberships and I don't think they have hit the 200 mark yet.

Also, not sure how that wood structure will hold up if there is a cup match against TFC and the Inebriatti show up in full "road trip to Ottawa" style! :)

Seriously, this league has to stay away from GTA teams for a while (I would suggest a long while)....get established elsewhere where they have a chance to get between 5k and 10k through the doors.........but going into the GTA and getting the sort of crowds that York seems to be indicating will be a real debbie downer for the league.

LOL yes any wood stadiums will need an Inebriatti ban, especially after last night. I'm not concerned about Hamilton's success, as they're somewhat independent of the GTA, but York's season's ticket deposits are sounding red flags. With the long timeline of Mississauga potentially developing a stadium, I think that when it is ready, the GTA may be ready for another team.

Really excited to see this picking up more steam.

One part of the stadium I'm interested in seeing a solution for is the parking situation. While it seems to be agreed upon that the stadium should sit in or around downtown, it'll be interesting to see how the city manages parking with a major stadium downtown. I hope the city decides to stay away from bundling the new stadium with a huge parking space around it. I think this will be an excellent opportunity to develop a sort of centralized parking authority similar to Green P in Toronto.

Back