News   Apr 24, 2024
 723     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 951     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 565     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Man, that lot has remained undeveloped for a long, long time. Over 40 years in fact.

King and Church, looking NE at the SE corner. April 10, 1971.

ViewofbuildingdemolitiononChurchStreetsouthofKingStreetapr1071_zps27f00008.jpg

Now. Today... Feb. 10, 2014.

P2104752_zpsfe59758c.jpg

The Starbucks was Red Barn Burger or something like that. The food was pretty good (for greasy stuff), great place for breakfast on a Saturday. Not sure why they needed another Starbucks when there is the one next to Apache Burgers.

That wasn't the Red Barn location. IIRC it was north side of Dundas, just the other side of the hydro ROW...

SE corner of King & Church:

f0124_fl0001_id0066.jpg

Owned by the City of Toronto, demolished to avoid spending $75,000 in repairs. Photo and caption from the Toronto Star:

2084800053.jpg

1970 caption: Destruction is planned for this row of ancient buildings on King St. E. just past Church. Against the advice of two groups concerned with conserving the best of Toronto's past, the city of Toronto will demolish these buildings for an as yet undetermined development. Protests have been ignored and wrecking continues. Last Published: 3/28/1970

Attachments

• f0124_fl0001_id0066.jpg
    f0124_fl0001_id0066.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 2084800053.jpg
    2084800053.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,011
Sad to see, it could have been interesting if they had inserted the courts into the old building but at that time I guess it was all about having a new building rather than creatively using the old.

London Ont. did just this to their armoury. Albeit at a later date. It's a Delta hotel now.

Interesting that someone from one of the army regiments filmed this. They knew that the armoury's destruction would be an emotional loss, hence the need to record it. Interesting even more when you consider fewer organizations are as fond of historical touch stones - literally here - as army regiments.

This would have been the place that recruits trained for and departed from for war. I'm surprised this happened.. if need for space was a requirement,they could have easily acquired room by closing Armoury Street and expanding north.

SE corner of King & Church:

View attachment 22735

Owned by the City of Toronto, demolished to avoid spending $75,000 in repairs. Photo and caption from the Toronto Star:

View attachment 22736

1970 caption: Destruction is planned for this row of ancient buildings on King St. E. just past Church. Against the advice of two groups concerned with conserving the best of Toronto's past, the city of Toronto will demolish these buildings for an as yet undetermined development. Protests have been ignored and wrecking continues. Last Published: 3/28/1970

Thanks thecharioteer. I wonder who owns this land. They have patience in abundance.

A related thought: many years ago I had some brief contacts with the landowning Herman family:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/w-bernard-herman/article585217/

Also, I noticed the Tandy Leather store to the left of Darrigos. These leathercraft stores appear elsewhere in mid century pictures of Toronto. Leathercraft culture is still with us. Tandy is still very much in business; they have a store in Mississauga. What has disappeared has been their print ads.. who over a certain age doesn't remember Tandy ads in newspapers and comic books. For things like knife sheaths and the like for Daniel Boone coon skinned hat boys of yore.

Last edited:
That wasn't the Red Barn location. IIRC it was north side of Dundas, just the other side of the hydro ROW...

Adma,

I know the one you're thinking of... the 'Mr. Sub' west of the 427. Referenced here, scroll about 1/2 way down:

http://www.barnbuster.net/Barnsgonebye9.html

Is it even still there anymore?

The new Starbucks at Dundas and Aukland was 'Red Cabin Hamburgers' up until about a year ago; IIRC. The latter can still be seen in Google Streetview; fleeting archive of images of buildings recently departed.

Last edited:
Adma,

I know the one you're thinking of... the 'Mr. Sub' west of the 427. Referenced here, scroll about 1/2 way down:

http://www.barnbuster.net/Barnsgonebye9.html

Is it even still there anymore?

The new Starbucks at Dundas and Aukland was 'Red Cabin Hamburgers' up until about a year ago; IIRC. The latter can still be seen in Google Streetview; fleeting archive of images of buildings recently departed.

The Mr Sub is still there

Thanks thecharioteer. I wonder who owns this land. They have patience in abundance.

It's owned by the late Paul Oberman's company Woodcliffe, which owns most of the block.

The demolition of this building was one more step in galvanizing the heritage preservation movement in Toronto and led to the creation of the Inventory of Heritage Properties a few years later upon the election of David Crombie as mayor. Seems a long time ago!

Man, that lot has remained undeveloped for a long, long time. Over 40 years in fact.

King and Church, looking NE at the SE corner. April 10, 1971.

ViewofbuildingdemolitiononChurchStreetsouthofKingStreetapr1071_zps27f00008.jpg

Here's the building in 1965. Darrigo Brothers must have been in tough competition with Pasquale Brothers who were just around the corner on King between Church and Jarvis.

Attachments

• 4257 1965 08 CHURCH & KING.jpg
    4257 1965 08 CHURCH & KING.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 669
It's owned by the late Paul Oberman's company Woodcliffe, which owns most of the block.

The demolition of this building was one more step in galvanizing the heritage preservation movement in Toronto and led to the creation of the Inventory of Heritage Properties a few years later upon the election of David Crombie as mayor. Seems a long time ago!

Actually the building in that block immediately west of the Sculpture Garden belongs to the City. (Maquette Restaurant, 111 King.) They just installed new windows.

I don't know if anyone has seen this or if it's been posted, but I thought it might be interesting.

td.jpg

td1.jpg

td2.jpg

td3.jpg

td4.jpg

Attachments

• td.jpg
    td.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 890
  • td1.jpg
    td1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 894
  • td2.jpg
    td2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 887
  • td3.jpg
    td3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 903
  • td4.jpg
    td4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,107
Thanks, CanadianNational - great views - what date?

I pasted two images together - this area now includes Convention Centre, CN Tower, CBC Building, Metro Hall, Roy Thomson Hall, Skydome - as well as dozens of condo towers.

west waterfront landscape.jpg

Attachments

• west waterfront landscape.jpg
    west waterfront landscape.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 922
Interesting thing I never grasped before: in the Thomson complex, 65 Queen preceded 390 Bay.

Oh, re Darrigo's: they weren't really damaged by Pasquale's competition, so much as they simply moved their operations out of the core.

Back