News   Jun 21, 2024
 176     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 302     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 414     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Interesting thing I never grasped before: in the Thomson complex, 65 Queen preceded 390 Bay.

So, if the site was being redeveloped in the 80's instead of the 70's perhaps we would have got a project that was taller, better architecturally and (sigh) included the Temple Building.

I have a similar photo indicating on the back that the date was July 31, 1938 - could have been the same event.

Welcome to Urban Toronto, CJW.
I'm sure many would like to see your image of the 1938 event.
Are you able to scan and upload?

This is one of the best Then & Nows posted that illustrate that sometimes Toronto does get it right. Now if we could only get the Esplanade extended directly into the Distillery District......

(Does anyone know why The Esplanade doesn't link up with Mill Street?)

Sorry to resurrect this old post, but does anyone know what the (now demolished) Sieseta Nouveaux building was (used to be at 15 Lower Sherbourne)? It's basically just to the 'back left' of the each of these frames.

*Or can anyone find any historical photos of it?

Sorry to resurrect this old post, but does anyone know what the (now demolished) Sieseta Nouveaux building was (used to be at 15 Lower Sherbourne)? It's basically just to the 'back left' of the each of these frames.

The City Archives have just loaded whole raft of photos of The Esplanade in the 1970s and early 1980s. The "Purple Building" is in several of them such as:
f1526_fl0010_it0054.jpg

Attachments

• f1526_fl0010_it0054.jpg
    f1526_fl0010_it0054.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 743

The City Archives have just loaded whole raft of photos of The Esplanade in the 1970s and early 1980s. The "Purple Building" is in several of them...

Do the 1980s count as historical?:) Looks like it was a wholesale fruit and vegetable warehouse.

f1526_fl0010_it0056.jpg

f1526_fl0010_it0064.jpg

I like the photos in the archives from the 1970s-1990s like the second photo above. Someone must have thought that the residential building was a good urban infill project and decided to document it. The building is modern but shows historical consciousness, as contemporary then. The photo is like photos of recently completed projects posted here on UT, but it predates the internet.

The photos of the warehouses might have been taken as examples of progressive adaptive reuse--like using old factories as a place to sell food. Both were seen by some keen thinkers as positive for the old parts of the city. It was the alternative to razing entire blocks of buildings for modern towers and parking lots, which was normal development practice back then for downtown. They contrast with the photos of historic buildings being demolished, since the alternative was only nascent.

Last edited:
I like the photos in the archives from the 1970s-1990s like the second photo above. Someone must have thought that the residential building was a good urban infill project and decided to document it. The building is modern but shows historical consciousness, as contemporary then. The photo is like photos of recently completed projects posted here on UT, but it predates the internet.

Well, it was part of the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood, so it wasn't just any old "good urban infill project"...

Back