News   Jul 08, 2024
 294     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 889     4 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 552     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and now for Jan 6.

Yesterday I mentioned: 'Stay tuned for a big surprise about this structure in tomorrows Then and Now.' Well, yesterdays tomorrow is upon us today, and my surprise this morning is... the SOUTH portion of yesterdays 'Antique and Art Galleries of B.M. & T. Jenkins.' This SOUTH portion fronted onto College Street. So,.. the Jenkins building spanned the width of the block between College and Grenville.

I know, I know, try to contain your glee, excitement, delight and surprise. Today's Then picture as well as yesterdays was provided by intrepid UTer wwwebster.

Then. 'Antique and Art Galleries of B.M. & T. Jenkins.' c1918. 28 College Street.

34150028Collegec1918.jpg

Now. August 2011.

342.jpg

'Remnant' of the Lost O'Brien House/Jenkins Gallery.

Thank you adma. And thank you to the nice receptionist ladies today at the Native Child and Family Services Centre who let me take the picture.

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

'I long to have such a memorial of every being dear to me in the world. It is not merely the likeness which is precious in such cases - but the association and sense of nearness involved in the thing... the fact of the very shadow of the person lying there fixed forever! It is the very sanctification of portraits I think - and it is not at all monstrous in me to say, what my brothers cry out against so vehemently, that I would rather have such a memorial of one I dearly loved, than the noblest artist's work ever produced.' - Elizabeth Barrett (1843 letter to Mary Russell Mitford)

A few weeks ago I came across a note on the Parks Canada web-site about a building at 1190-1192 King Street West in Toronto that was designated (in 1984) as a National Historic Site but which was demolished shortly afterwards and is in storage. Yes, it’s the Metallic Roofing Company’s office building that Parks Canada describe as: “Beaux-Arts style; rare Canadian building whose interior and exterior comprise a three-dimensional catalogue of architectural sheet metal products; 1896”.

Parks Canada further describes the building as follows: “In 1895, the Metallic Roofing Company began construction of its new location in the industrial area of Toronto. Situated at the corner of Dufferin and King Streets, the new building was in an area that, at the time, was growing in prestige.

In 1897, after the completion of the two-storey factory building, construction of the combined office and showroom building began. The new building (as well as the factory building) was designed by Henry Simpson, a Toronto architect.

Entirely decorated with pressed metal patterns produced by the Metallic Roofing Company, the building was an impressive advertisement of the company’s products. Indeed, while the building appeared to be made of stone with a roof of Spanish tiles, all of the details were actually pressed into the sheet metal. As such, the building demonstrated the company’s talent and skills, as well as the diverse possibilities offered by its products.

The building itself was a symmetrical one-storey with pavilions at each side, designed in the Beaux-Arts style. The façade combined Greek and Roman design elements such as columns, egg and dart details, and leaf motifs.

The Metallic Roofing Company, established in 1884, was the first factory in Canada to manufacture sheet metal. In Canada, the use of sheet metal for construction was popular between 1890 and 1930. In the 1970s, the factory building was demolished after a fire destroyed much of the structure. A few years later, in 1982, a demolition permit was issued for the office-showroom building. The building was subsequently dismantled.

The Metallic Roofing Company’s structure has since been replaced by a low-rise commercial strip mall plaza.

The building however, was dismantled, and not destroyed, which means that it could be rebuilt in the future. Few examples of pressed metal building façades currently exist. The reconstruction of the Metallic Roofing Company building would provide a great example of a rare architectural style.”

The Ontario Heritage Trust, which at first seemed unaware they owed the building, then told me “[the building was first] moved to a temporary municipal site on the grounds of Lamport Stadium, where it remained for some time, supported on a grid of steel beams.

There were attempts by the Trust to find a new use for the building, but all of these attempts fell through. Deterioration accelerated to a point where something had to be done. The City wanted the building to be removed, so the Trust made a unilateral decision to dismantle the building for possible re-erection in whole or in part at a future date. This dismantling was done in the fall of 1989 by staff at the Trust. Each and every panel was taken apart, coded and catalogued. These pieces are stored in a facility in Mississauga. The Pressed Metal Building no longer appears in our databases as a building, but rather as a collection.

There is a large panel (the bas-relief sculpture of the frieze of the building) that was restored. It hangs, to this day, on the east wall of the lobby outside the second-floor Birkbeck Room here at the Ontario Heritage Centre, the Trust’s headquarters on Adelaide Street in Toronto. The rest of the pieces require some work before they would be available for viewing. So, unfortunately, we cannot arrange for a visit to the storage facility in Mississauga."

Our glorious leader generously agreed to take the “now” photograph if I wrote up the history of another forgotten, if not totally lost, Toronto Building. Thanks Mustapha!

The site now looks like:

approxlocationofmetallicroofingbldgjan82012.jpg

It used to look like:

MetallicRoofing-02.jpg

No doubt UTers will have ideas of where it could be reassembled and displayed!

AS mentioned by me in another older posting, one of the books in my hoading, er collection, is

a hardbound copy of their 1904 catalogue "A", comprising of 439 illustrated pages.

Regards,
J T

A few weeks ago I came across a note on the Parks Canada web-site about a building at 1190-1192 King Street West in Toronto that was designated (in 1984) as a National Historic Site but which was demolished shortly afterwards and is in storage. Yes, it’s the Metallic Roofing Company’s office building that Parks Canada describe as: “Beaux-Arts style; rare Canadian building whose interior and exterior comprise a three-dimensional catalogue of architectural sheet metal products; 1896”.

Parks Canada further describes the building as follows: “In 1895, the Metallic Roofing Company began construction of its new location in the industrial area of Toronto. Situated at the corner of Dufferin and King Streets, the new building was in an area that, at the time, was growing in prestige.

In 1897, after the completion of the two-storey factory building, construction of the combined office and showroom building began. The new building (as well as the factory building) was designed by Henry Simpson, a Toronto architect.

Entirely decorated with pressed metal patterns produced by the Metallic Roofing Company, the building was an impressive advertisement of the company’s products. Indeed, while the building appeared to be made of stone with a roof of Spanish tiles, all of the details were actually pressed into the sheet metal. As such, the building demonstrated the company’s talent and skills, as well as the diverse possibilities offered by its products.

The building itself was a symmetrical one-storey with pavilions at each side, designed in the Beaux-Arts style. The façade combined Greek and Roman design elements such as columns, egg and dart details, and leaf motifs.

The Metallic Roofing Company, established in 1884, was the first factory in Canada to manufacture sheet metal. In Canada, the use of sheet metal for construction was popular between 1890 and 1930. In the 1970s, the factory building was demolished after a fire destroyed much of the structure. A few years later, in 1982, a demolition permit was issued for the office-showroom building. The building was subsequently dismantled.

The Metallic Roofing Company’s structure has since been replaced by a low-rise commercial strip mall plaza.

The building however, was dismantled, and not destroyed, which means that it could be rebuilt in the future. Few examples of pressed metal building façades currently exist. The reconstruction of the Metallic Roofing Company building would provide a great example of a rare architectural style.”

The Ontario Heritage Trust, which at first seemed unaware they owed the building, then told me “[the building was first] moved to a temporary municipal site on the grounds of Lamport Stadium, where it remained for some time, supported on a grid of steel beams.

There were attempts by the Trust to find a new use for the building, but all of these attempts fell through. Deterioration accelerated to a point where something had to be done. The City wanted the building to be removed, so the Trust made a unilateral decision to dismantle the building for possible re-erection in whole or in part at a future date. This dismantling was done in the fall of 1989 by staff at the Trust. Each and every panel was taken apart, coded and catalogued. These pieces are stored in a facility in Mississauga. The Pressed Metal Building no longer appears in our databases as a building, but rather as a collection.

There is a large panel (the bas-relief sculpture of the frieze of the building) that was restored. It hangs, to this day, on the east wall of the lobby outside the second-floor Birkbeck Room here at the Ontario Heritage Centre, the Trust’s headquarters on Adelaide Street in Toronto. The rest of the pieces require some work before they would be available for viewing. So, unfortunately, we cannot arrange for a visit to the storage facility in Mississauga."

Our glorious leader generously agreed to take the “now” photograph if I wrote up the history of another forgotten, if not totally lost, Toronto Building. Thanks Mustapha!

The site now looks like:

approxlocationofmetallicroofingbldgjan82012.jpg

It used to look like:

MetallicRoofing-02.jpg

No doubt UTers will have ideas of where it could be reassembled and displayed!

Thanks DSC! The disassembled building: at least it's safe somewhere. Brings to mind The Sam The Record Man neon sign... anyone know its whereabouts?

Anyone UTers here downtown anytime soon - with a camera - can go take a picture of the frieze inside the Ontario Heritage Centre on Adelaide street? :)

Last edited:
That's a wonderful catalogue (Metallic Roofing Company) with dozens of photos such as this one:

Thanks JT, subtext, Goldie and DSC.. fyi, if anyone is in the Yonge and Albertus area of our city a pressed metal ceiling can be easily seen within 2616 Yonge street. You can see it from outside. I don't know if it is a Metallic Roofing ceiling but I'm hoping it may be. This store was built in 1926 and its first owner was my paternal grandfather..

Then and Now for Jan 9.

Then. 1964-ish. St Clair Ave. W looking W towards Vaughan Rd.

244StClairVa.jpg

Now. Jan 2012. Long winter shadows. The Texaco gas station is gone; and also gone from our business landscape too (There was another just like this one on the SW corner of Bayview and Eglinton that survived up until 1995 or so). There is a Pizza Pizza there now; hidden behind the streetcar.. I didn't get the angle quite right, and my hands were getting cold. :(

CSC_0043.jpg

Last edited:
Unseen, but a change nonetheless, the church on the corner was formerly a Protestant church but is now a Catholic church.

And,... for those interested in the story about the Vaughan Theatre in this view, go back to pages 54 and 56 of this thread for a history by 'adma' and 'dt_toronto_geek'.

We talked about this 1951 film about Toronto in one of our threads here at UT about a year ago; perhaps this one, can't remember, but it's always a joy to watch, just ignore the acting. :)

http://www.nfb.ca/film/toronto_boom_town/

Also at the Nat. Film board's website is the Images section. This is the stock footage, about a gazillion clips of a few minutes duration. Searching for Toronto gets over 500 film clips going back to WWI. Quicktime player is required.

http://images.nfb.ca/images/pages/en/index.html

Back