348     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 995     6 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 594     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

This?

2294875206_707e6941b4_z.jpg

Yes, thanks. For such a small building ( at first glance it's difficult to judge the scale ) it was monumental in effect, and combined historical references ( to Venetian forms, for instance ... ) with sculptural effects - incised horizontals and portholes - to express the spirit of the small and rather obscure congregation that it was built for in a way that strikes me as quite contemporary to expressionist work being done nowadays ( OCADU, the Crystal, Gehry's AGO Dundas facade ) around town. Demolished in 1910, and on my favourites list in this thread:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18306-Top-10-Lost-Toronto-Buildings

Yes, thanks. For such a small building ( at first glance it's difficult to judge the scale ) it was monumental in effect, and combined historical references ( to Venetian forms, for instance ... ) with sculptural effects - incised horizontals and portholes - to express the spirit of the small and rather obscure congregation that it was built for in a way that strikes me as quite contemporary to expressionist work being done nowadays ( OCADU, the Crystal, Gehry's AGO Dundas facade ) around town. Demolished in 1910, and on my favourites list in this thread:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18306-Top-10-Lost-Toronto-Buildings

Why it's no bigger than a house, judging by those stairs. Quite 'Moor-ish'. Must have been hot inside during a Toronto summer.

Then and Now for Jan 11.

Then. Another neat wwwebster sourced picture... this is 223 College street at Ross, SW corner. c1917. 'Gage Institute'. 'Administrative Offices of The National Sanitarium Association."

345223CollegeatRossSWc1917.jpg

Bio of Sir William James Gage:

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=8146&&PHPSESSID=ychzfqkvzape

Now. August 2011. Still the Gage building.. The Gage Occupational & Environmental Health Unit of the University of Toronto.

346.jpg

Then and Now for Jan 11.

Then. Another neat wwwebster sourced picture... this is 223 College street at Ross, SW corner. c1917. 'Gage Institute'. 'Administrative Offices of The National Sanitarium Association."

345223CollegeatRossSWc1917.jpg

Bio of Sir William James Gage:

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=8146&&PHPSESSID=ychzfqkvzape

Now. August 2011. Still the Gage building.. The Gage Occupational & Environmental Health Unit of the University of Toronto.

346.jpg
Building looks intact right down to the metal railings going up the stairs. Nice to see.

if anyone is in the Yonge and Albertus area of our city a pressed metal ceiling can be easily seen within 2616 Yonge street. You can see it from outside. I don't know if it is a Metallic Roofing ceiling but I'm hoping it may be. This store was built in 1926 and its first owner was my paternal grandfather..

Here's a pressed metal ceiling that I photographed on Danforth Ave. 36 years ago.
If anyone's in the neighbourhood - please have a look to see if it's still visible.
P.S. The fruit market is long gone!

Eckersmarket1976metalceiling.jpg

Here's a pressed metal ceiling that I photographed on Danforth Ave. 36 years ago.
If anyone's in the neighbourhood - please have a look to see if it's still visible.
P.S. The fruit market is long gone!

Eckersmarket1976metalceiling.jpg

Thank you digging this image out Goldie. I imagine that many metal ceilings last as long as the first roof or plumbing leak...

Then and Now for Jan 12.

Then. 34 and 32 Front Street West, respectively. c1914. A wwwebster picture.

34732-34FrontWestc1914.jpg

Now. August 2011.

348.jpg

"Then. 34 and 32 Front Street West, respectively. c1914. A wwwebster picture."
QUOTE Mustapha.

THE buildings which are pictured were/are the replacements for The E W Gillett Co plant

the remains of which were seen in my Galbraith photo. (1904 Great Toronto Fire.)

Regards,
J T

"Any chance anybody has some history on 151 Front St. West?"
QUOTE BeeRich.

FORMER Head Office for CN/CP Telecomunications, with a later direct link with the CN Tower's Micro Wave transmitter/reciever.
(The only reason that the Tower was built.)

FYI, it seemed that many employees there-in "whistled while they worked", for that was a common occurance.

Regards,
J T

"Any chance anybody has some history on 151 Front St. West?"
QUOTE BeeRich.

FORMER Head Office for CN/CP Telecomunications, with a later direct link with the CN Tower's Micro Wave transmitter/reciever.
(The only reason that the Tower was built.)

FYI, it seemed that many employees there-in "whistled while they worked", for that was a common occurance.

Regards,
J T

Ah I see. It's currently the most "connected" building in Canada. Colocation and NOC for most large Canadian comm companies. Although I'm in a related industry, it's strange to see such a facility stacked with nothing but computers. Rather impressive today, but not too sure about it's business/functional history.

BOUGHT by Allied Properties REIT a number of years back fo $185,000,000.

Regards,
J T

Loblaws main floor (in MLG) as it appeared in 1965 during the Toronto Star Indoor Games.

Loblawslocation1965.jpg

Back