News   Jul 08, 2024
 439     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 645     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Wiki claims the Lord Simcoe was on the NE corner. Who is right?

Lord Simcoe Hotel

Darkstar416, If you were standing at the intersection of of King and University it would be on the the NE corner... this place took up the whole length of the block between York and University.

But you and the article are correct. Most people mentioned the intersection of 'King and University' when giving directions to the hotel.

Last edited:

What did you just call me?:)

May 22 addition.

King and Yonge, just a tidge W of the NW corner.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0020.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

3552368531_347d21285a_o.jpg

From TorontoBefore

Just found this thread. Amazing stuff!

Welcome Aladone. Nice to know that UTers have a new recruit. Welcome to the borg.

I like your work.. the half and half/old and new photo treatments are remarkable.

May 23 addition. Even earlier than normal as it's a 1/2 day in the office today, headed out now. I may have in the past posted a daytime black and white of this location; I can't remember and I'm too tired to look.:eek:

Avenue Road and Brookdale SE corner. This is a few blocks from my place so I walked out with my tripod and cam to get the 'now' shot last night. So it's a new and fresh pic. Better taste and less calories too.

fo0217_ser0249_f0217_s0249_fl0077_i.jpg

DSCF1817.jpg

Oh, does that bring back memories of the local neighbourhood. I lived on St Germain till 1957, Glenview 1957-1965.
You didn't get the angle quite right in your new picture. I can't see the Beer Store.
/cheers from the UK

'angle'; yes, sorry about that. If I had done the absolutely correct-for-historical-accuracy angle, there would have been a stop sign pole right in the centre of the photo.:)

'ta,

-Moose

Last edited:
May 24 addition.

King West, north side, mid block, between Bay and York. Thanks adma, for pointing out my goof on this set a couple weeks ago.

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-55.jpg

DSCF0668.jpg

I saw that too. Thought it might be a mislabeling - a not uncommon archive picture situation. A Google shows many results ... that the Standard was at Dundas and Spadina, hence my conclusion.

Could there have been an earlier 'Standard' at 482 Queen W? I'll check the location tonite.

A Google on 'silent film getting even with the lawyer' turns up nothing. If this film was prior to 1921 (date of the Standard's opening), this may have served to indicate an earlier Standard.

Thanks ED007Toronto, I've taken down my post and substituted something else.

So as followup to this thread of a few weeks ago, I finally managed to get to 482 Queen West.

There most likely was a Standard Theatre here. No physical evidence now. The photo is part of the William James family fonds taken between 1906 and 1910, so additional evidence in favour of Queen street. The Spadina 'Standard' was built in 1922.

I offer the 'then' and 'now' pictures and perhaps someone can come along with even more evidence...

fo1244_f1244_it0332-1.jpg

DSCF0726.jpg

Thanks ED007Toronto.

So as followup to this thread of a few weeks ago, I finally managed to get to 482 Queen West.

There most likely was a Standard Theatre here. No physical evidence now. The photo is part of the William James family fonds taken between 1906 and 1910, so additional evidence in favour of Queen street. The Spadina 'Standard' was built in 1922.

I offer the 'then' and 'now' pictures and perhaps someone can come along with even more evidence...

According to the 1912 Might's City Directory (kept in the archive in my basement), the Standard Theatre was located at 482 Queen St W.

484 Queen was between it and Denison Ave - containing George J St. Ledger shoes, St Ledger Hall.

I think that the 'Before' picture looks north east up Bay Street - the low building just before the 'JARVIS BUILDING' is probably the Cawthra family residence, which was demolished in 1946 to make way for John Lyle's Bank of Nova Scotia building. Also, by the time the Imperial Bank was demolished to make way for Commerce Court West, the somewhat similar, slightly lower building abutting it ( part of the bank? ) at the south east corner of King and Bay had been demolished and replaced by a rather nondescript Moderne-type building of about the same size.

I think that the 'Before' picture looks north east up Bay Street - the low building just before the 'JARVIS BUILDING' is probably the Cawthra family residence, which was demolished in 1946 to make way for John Lyle's Bank of Nova Scotia building. Also, by the time the Imperial Bank was demolished to make way for Commerce Court West, the somewhat similar, slightly lower building abutting it ( part of the bank? ) at the south east corner of King and Bay had been demolished and replaced by a rather nondescript Moderne-type building of about the same size.

Urban Shocker, I've deleted my post and now your advice stands in splendid isolation. :)

You're right, that is Cawthra House. That puts the local geography into perpective. Therefore, the order of the structures is like this:

fo1568_f1568_it0461.jpg

fo0124_f0124_fl0015_id0003.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

Thanks Urban Shocker.

And thanks too, adma; sorry I misunderstood your advice about this location.

Last edited:
According to the 1912 Might's City Directory (kept in the archive in my basement), the Standard Theatre was located at 482 Queen St W.

484 Queen was between it and Denison Ave - containing George J St. Ledger shoes, St Ledger Hall.

Thanks Anna. I'm hoping for a commercial reprint of the 1912 Mights someday.:)

Back