News   Jul 12, 2024
 992     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The old car to the left of the 'muscle car'. It had a white roof. I came across something like it on Saint Patrick Street last month.

DSC01317.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01317.JPG
    DSC01317.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 672
"housing an auto glass business before demolition"

First pic, SPEEDY AUTO GLASS and a 1971/2 Cadillac.
and 3rd pic, 1978/9 or later Cadillac.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
First in my series called: 'Right Under Our Noses'.

Who remembers photobooths? That this terribly old school amusement, because amusement is all that it is, still exists right under our noses boggles my mind. [Copy editor job open. Please apply Mustapha.]

Who remembers squeezing a date into one of those and waiting. Anticipating.. the strip of photos. Which back in the day was suffused with the odour of developer.

With the awkward individuality of Gypsy Caravans, these amusements still thrill, or perhaps merely amuse,
succeeding generations.

I found these 3 photobooths at: Yonge Eglinton Centre, Dufferin Mall and Dixie Outlet Mall.

P6250002.JPG
P7280045.JPG
P9200039.JPG

Attachments

• P6250002.JPG
    P6250002.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 850
  • P7280045.JPG
    P7280045.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 772
  • P9200039.JPG
    P9200039.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:
Mustapha, we may need a "then" photo to accompany your wonderful modern images. This is the first patented Canadian booth (1925). The "Phototeria" was invented by David McCowan of the well-known Scarborough pioneer family.
An original Phototeria had been stored in a family barn for many years before it was removed in 2006 for my photo-session.
It produced small, circular images mounted in metal frames. The one shown here is of the inventor after he sold his invention to an American Co.
The Phototeria was installed in arcades on Yonge St., Sunnyside and at Crystal Beach. It's now in the Ryerson University photographic collection.

Phototeria from barn 2006.jpg

Phototeria details.jpg

Attachments

• Phototeria from barn 2006.jpg
    Phototeria from barn 2006.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 692
  • Phototeria details.jpg
    Phototeria details.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Then. Looking SW at the SW corner of Simcoe and Richmond. c1970-ish? Not much in the Then picture. The building looks like one of those mid 19th century upper class homes that dotted this area along with small industry up until the 80s. I do remember that building housing an auto glass business before demolition. The two cars in the picture were the attractant for me. 60/70s Muscle Cars were affordably priced up until about 15 years ago. Then Boomers inheriting wealth from the Greatest Generation chasing even the commoner models have put prices waa-y up.

'Dairy Barn'? What the heck was that? Don't look at the logo. Don't.

View attachment 122059

The signage looks new(ish) for 1970; was Dairy Barn some kind of abortive chain?

I think something like the second edition of Lost Toronto had some quick history behind the building; maybe it's the B&W photography, but it actually looks more recognizably "vintage" here than in its battleship-grey last days--even if the sawed-off roofline and misguidedly modernized ground floor was already in effect...

Second in my series called: 'Right Under Our Noses'.

Today. Foyer to the Bank of Nova Scotia on the SW corner of Queen and Church.

History, great craftsmanship, durability, preservation.. all in plain sight. What a combination.

As beautiful as some of the mosaic tile you'll see uncovered in places like Ephesus or Rome itself. I know; I've been to both at not inconsiderable expense.

P9250046.JPG

Attachments

• P9250046.JPG
    P9250046.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 808
  • P9250046.JPG
    P9250046.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Then. Looking SSW across Dundas to the SE corner of Dundas and Yonge. This would have been about 1998. Expropriation and demolition of this block would start just about after the pic was taken. That's the famous Rockwell Jeans store. It relocated a couple blocks east and still trades.

tspa_0015295f.jpg

Now. Today.

P9250048.JPG

Attachments

• tspa_0015295f.jpg
    tspa_0015295f.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 736
  • P9250048.JPG
    P9250048.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Mustapha, I love your idea of "Right under our noses."
That beautiful mosaic on the floor of the Scotia bank reminded me that I've been hoarding a floor-mounted image for a long time with the intention of scouting the location (Bloor-Dundas) to see what's there now. I wonder if this historical plaque was "under ... noses" in 1962.
I expect there must have been a Towers store in 1962 at that location -- probably long-gone. Does the capsule remain? Will it be left untouched until 2062? Does anyone know where it's located?
I love mysteries and questions like these.
Time Capsule at Bloor-Dundas.jpg

Attachments

• Time Capsule at Bloor-Dundas.jpg
    Time Capsule at Bloor-Dundas.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 641
Goldie. Your 1962 plaque. Did you photograph it in 1962 or shortly thereafter?

I vaguely remember a Towers store on Dundas West. Below Bloor. Above Roncesvalles. It MIGHT have been where the Loblaws is now. In the plaza now known as 'High Park Plaza'. I could be wrong on all of these 'recollections'.

"I vaguely remember a Towers store on Dundas West. Below Bloor. Above Roncesvalles. It MIGHT have been where the Loblaws is now."
Mustapha.

MIGHT'S Toronto City Directory - 1970:
2290 Dundas St W - just below Bloor.

Regards.

"I vaguely remember a Towers store on Dundas West. Below Bloor. Above Roncesvalles. It MIGHT have been where the Loblaws is now."
Mustapha.

MIGHT'S Toronto City Directory - 1970:
2290 Dundas St W - just below Bloor.

Regards.

Bingo JT. Now. Is the original building still there? And the plaque too? Or covered over? Or is Goldies image just a ghost from the past?

Towers was perpendicular to Loblaws. It became Zellers. Building still there; so *might* be the capsule plaque, close to where Towers & Loblaws meet...

This is worth going for a look. The green terrazzo floor surrounding the plaque would be easy to look for, if it is still intact.

Second in my series called: 'Right Under Our Noses'.

Today. Foyer to the Bank of Nova Scotia on the SW corner of Queen and Church.

History, great craftsmanship, durability, preservation.. all in plain sight. What a combination.

As beautiful as some of the mosaic tile you'll see uncovered in places like Ephesus or Rome itself. I know; I've been to both at not inconsiderable expense.

View attachment 122250

Banks used to do that a lot. Inside the 1905 Bank of Commerce Building at 197 Yonge (part of Massey Tower):

masseymosaic.jpg

masseymosaic2.jpg

Attachments

• masseymosaic.jpg
    masseymosaic.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 589
  • masseymosaic2.jpg
    masseymosaic2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:

Back