Google street view

Attachments

• Front St. W. at Windsor St. n-e corner 1912 TPL.jpg
    Front St. W. at Windsor St. n-e corner 1912 TPL.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Front-Windsor.jpg
    Front-Windsor.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 1,096
Not sure, but it looks like some sort of barrier or signal lights that could be lowered.
I think railroad tracks once ran along Front St.

Not sure, but it looks like some sort of barrier or signal lights that could be lowered.
Not only did they run there, it was the basis of the "Tripartite Esplanade Agreement":

Grand Trunk Railway Co. v. City of Toronto - SCC Cases (Lexum)
https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/9855/index.do
In 1892, an agreement was entered into between the city and the two railway .... 1892, they came to anagreement called the Esplanade or Tripartite Agreement, ...
You've visited this page 5 times. Last visit: 07/10/17
Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?) | Page 33 | UrbanToronto
urbantoronto.ca › Forums › Transportation and Infrastructure
Oct 9, 2016 - The Esplanade later fell under the jurisdiction of the City/Federal Harbour Trust: (But note, not the Tripartite Agreement which affected only ...
ORCA Project (Bathurst-Spadina Rail Deck Development) | ?m | ?s ...
May 24, 2017
GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions) | Page 616 ...
Oct. 30, 2016
More results from urbantoronto.ca

Looks like a 'level crossing barrier' to me and, yes, there were tracks on Front Street. Here's a shot of another 'similar' crossing with the bars going down (or up!) This one is Grand Trunk Railway crossing York Street

York.jpg

Attachments

• York.jpg
    York.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 798
Bank of Toronto at Bay and King is carefully removed after 53 years to make way for the TD Centre -TPL
Bank of Toronto is carefully reduced after 53 years to make way for TD Centre TPL.jpg

Some historical remnants were moved to the Guild Inn gardens where they became "The Greek Theatre" c.1981.
At the Guild Inn.jpg

TD Centre - last of 25,000 pieces of steel in place 1966 -TPL
TD Centre - last of 25,000pieces of steel in place 1966 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Bank of Toronto is carefully reduced after 53 years to make way for TD Centre TPL.jpg
    Bank of Toronto is carefully reduced after 53 years to make way for TD Centre TPL.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 581
  • At the Guild Inn.jpg
    At the Guild Inn.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 749
  • TD Centre - last of 25,000pieces of steel in place 1966 TPL.jpg
    TD Centre - last of 25,000pieces of steel in place 1966 TPL.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 584
Another artifact makes its way to the Guild Inn.
The Tallest Building in the British Empire when it was built in 1895.
I.O.F. TPL.jpg

original name sign-Temple Building.jpg

The venerable 12-storey Temple Building at the corner of Bay and Richmond St. was dismantled piece by piece in 1970.
Temple Building -built 1895- demolition Bay at Richmond 1970 TPL .jpg

At the Guild Inn
Temple at Guild.jpg

Attachments

• I.O.F. TPL.jpg
    I.O.F. TPL.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 667
  • original name sign-Temple Building.jpg
    original name sign-Temple Building.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 723
  • Temple Building -built 1895- demolition Bay at Richmond 1970 TPL .jpg
    Temple Building -built 1895- demolition Bay at Richmond 1970 TPL .jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 576
  • Temple at Guild.jpg
    Temple at Guild.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 730
^I'm a bit disturbed by the state of the columns moved to the Guild Inn property. It's kind of macabre. All well and good that they were saved (and questions on the monstrosities replacing the original building) but note how imperial and staunch they are in situ, bulwarks against time and weather, and alien invaders and whatever else, and they look like a pathetic skeleton at the Guild, almost inevitably held together with rebar, they wouldn't stand without an artificial spine and dry-stacked as they are, just like a skeleton on display at an anatomical museum.

It hurts...

Credit to you for posting those, not everything can be bliss and wonderment, but "evoking" is just as important to see what's lost, and poorly saved.

In all fairness, they never were load-bearing, just veneer decoration, but still....

The Temple Building is done far more justice, even being far less ambitious. The honour is upheld in that case.

Last edited:
Still, it's my favourite piece at the Guild.
I love that preservation of the name in stone.
Better than burying in a landfill!

Better than burying in a landfill!
Absolutely, my point is that the columns look sad and worn, and tipsy. Not the image they were meant to convey, what they were born to do. The Temple Building pieces saved look strong and resilient the way they're displayed.

Attachments

• Funeral -9 men fron capsized launch DALVINE- on Keele St. near Vine Ave. 1907 TPL.jpg
    Funeral -9 men fron capsized launch DALVINE- on Keele St. near Vine Ave. 1907 TPL.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 542
  • Keele St.jpg
    Keele St.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 773

Back