News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

What does one weigh in a city weighhouse?

According to the source of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

"A weigh house or weighing house is a public building at or within which goods are weighed. Most of these buildings were built before 1800, prior to the establishment of international standards for weights. As public control of the weight of goods was very important, they were run by local authorities who would also use them for the levying of taxes on goods transported through or sold within the city. Therefore, weigh houses would often be near a market square or town centre."

I'm guessing they weighed just about anything that was bought, sold and taxed.

Then and Now.

Then. 1980-ish?
Now. March 29, 2017.

Gould street, a few feet east of Yonge, looking north east at the Sam's store entrance off same. I'd forgotten Sam's had a "L" shaped store - with the "main" entrance on Yonge north of Gould. I don't miss Sam's. Never had the pocket money to buy much vinyl. I think I accumulated a grand total of 40 LPs in my whole life.

0.jpg

1.JPG

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 667
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 640
Did you notice the manner of their drainage ditch design?
(Wonderful.)

Regards,
J T

"Is there even an 'official' day one can wear summer cover?"

May 15 is the beginning of the wearing of Panama Hats, they so called, as all of the better grades are hand made in Ecuador.

BTW, the Classic fedora is my style preference; definitely not being that of a Boater.
LOL.

Regards,
J T.

I took these pics in 2008 of the 1927 tunnel linking Union Station and the Royal York hotel. I walked thru Union Station tonite and went looking for again for this; the original 'proto' segment of the present PATH system.

I couldn't find the entrance; asked at the security booth in the basement of Union station. Was told that it had been 'closed off'. The guard didn't know if it was to reopen or be refurbished.

Part of it's appeal to me was its antiquity. Mostly actually.

I looked on the interwebs for pictures. I do believe my pictures here are the only ones.

And, now I can't stroll through a 90 year old tunnel anymore, :(

DSCF0326.jpg
DSCF0327.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0326.jpg
    DSCF0326.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 743
  • DSCF0327.jpg
    DSCF0327.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 618
what a shame....my parents had a lottery booth here from 1999 to about 2006 and they were booted out by the landlord....they opened up a gateway after that....

I seem to recall walking thru that tunnel once -- a long time ago.
It would be a shame if there was no longer a PATH connection to Union.
Perhaps it will reopen when the renovations at Union are completed.

Back