Massey Hall 2016.jpg

Attachments

• Massey Hall c.1900.jpg
    Massey Hall c.1900.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 3,161
  • Massey Hall 2016.jpg
    Massey Hall 2016.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 1,438
I questioned that myself -- it's certainly possible.
if so, does that not mean that the underground parking was in tact even before new city hall was built....
I don't even know what that staircase leads to....I assume it is underground parking, but based on some pictures of excavations during the building of new city hall, that entire area did not appear to survive the pre construction layout....

Massey Hall
Nice shots; I had not realised that there used to be 'relief statues' in the 'pediment triangle' Anyone know when they were removed? Too much to hope, I guess, that they might return when the reconstruction is finished! (and that the symmetry of the east and west doors might be restored too .

Nice shots; I had not realised that there used to be 'relief statues' in the 'pediment triangle' Anyone know when they were removed? Too much to hope, I guess, that they might return when the reconstruction is finished! (and that the symmetry of the east and west doors might be restored too .

The images by KPMB for the Massey Hall revitalization seem to imply some sort of restoration of the relief in the pediment. I don't believe they were full-blown statuary a la the Parthenon, more like plaster bas-reliefs that are long gone.

masseyhall.jpg

Attachments

• masseyhall.jpg
    masseyhall.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,424
And funny how the fire escapes can be accessed from street level. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that on a building as 'major' as Massey Hall. I post this as I saw a 20s-something couple coming down from the second level of the escape a few weeks ago. They'd gone up for a looksee/urban exploration one supposes. Why else would you go up? It was charming to see. Like playing hockey in the street; I thought exploring fire escapes had its heyday from 1900 to 1980 and only existed in memory.

I would dare to say, that after the 1904 Great Fire, many of the City's by-laws we rewritten in much haste.

These would not only include that of the "hanging Iron" on Massey Hall, but also major changes to the

building proper. One of the first things to note is the now lack of entrance stairs to the main floor,

which, if I am not mistaken, required the interior pavement to be lowered to that of the outside

grade. Another item of note, although it comprises a pair, it the re-orientation of each

S/E and S/W stairwells; this may be realised by the markings on their stair walls

after the Fact. There must be more of these Reminders of Yesteryear, about

which I have forgotten; after all, I have not stepped back within that

Glorious Pile for at the least, twenty-five years.

Regards,
J T

One of the first things to note is the now lack of entrance stairs to the main floor, which, if I am not mistaken, required the interior pavement to be lowered to that of the outside grade.

I believe you are correct, JT, and it most likely happened in the 1920's, which is why the front lobby interior design is art deco rather than victorian.

Also, while we are at this, correct me if I am wrong, but every theatre within the City and

maybe The Province, has this "Entrance at Grade".

(I am also curious as to whether the 14' - 18' ventilating fan within the confines of the

south basement continues to exist or it having been wethered, now sitting,

weathering within some lonely 'yard.)

Regards,
J T

"Avenue Road, north of Edmund, 1953 (TPL):"
Thecharioteer.

Riding within the TTC's Electric Toboggan must have been a Joyful EXPERIENCE!
(Especially after the rail sanders froze.)

Regards,
J T

The block immediately S. of the Old City Hall, 1928
Bay at Queen:

TN Bay at Queen 1928.jpg

TN Bay at Queen 2016.jpg

Bay at Richmond, 1928

TN Bay at Richmond 1928.jpg

TN Bat at Richmond 2016.jpg

Attachments

• TN Bay at Queen 1928.jpg
    TN Bay at Queen 1928.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 1,263
  • TN Bay at Queen 2016.jpg
    TN Bay at Queen 2016.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • TN Bay at Richmond 1928.jpg
    TN Bay at Richmond 1928.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • TN Bat at Richmond 2016.jpg
    TN Bat at Richmond 2016.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 1,436
Then. Through the years. The less famous vinyl emporium - A&A - just to the north of the more famous and more lamented Sam The Record Man.

a.jpg
b.jpg
c (1280x960).jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 1,360
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 1,367
  • c (1280x960).jpg
    c (1280x960).jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 1,214
Last edited:
If only you had a car positioned in front of the latter shot.

And keep in mind how the spectacular "original" A&A sign was even more spectacularly augmented on top and the side (until the big bland letters replaced it all in the mid-70s)

20111116-Yonge1970s-postcard.jpg

Back