News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

20 minutes work around the New City Hall and Eaton Centre area this Sunday afternoon Oct 18 and here is a whole bunch of Then and Nows for everyone.

I'm going to real economical in comment here and not actually write any; I'm up very late.

I think the usual suspects around this thread know by now what they're looking at anyways. :)

1955_zpshocz0uju.jpg

PA180280_zpsww4uahzx.jpg

pictures-r-4013_zpss2rnokvv.jpg

PA180282_zpsfklmeudl.jpg

1955a_zpsamsjjv5z.jpg

PA180283_zpsgdfkwgpf.jpg

1955b_zpsbiy8rjsj.jpg

PA180284_zpsnosyfgnu.jpg

View%20of%20Louisa%20St%20during%20Eaton%20Centre%20construction%20Apr%2015%201975%202_zpsqoy3vlea.jpg

PA180285_zpsg6gc82ru.jpg

View%20of%20Louisa%20St%20during%20Eaton%20Centre%20construction%20Apr%2015%201975_zpszbfzz22y.jpg

PA180286_zpsxoezhvac.jpg

Inaugural%20trip%20of%20the%20Greyhound%20scenic%20cruiser%20sep%2015%201954%20to%20St%20Petersburg%20FL_zpsiecwvkfg.jpg

PA180293_zps2hupzl2g.jpg

The old Chinatown. My paternal grandfather told me there was a Chinatown on York street when he arrived in 1918. Someone, somewhere, has a picture(s) in a shoebox; there sure aren't any on the internet.

Among my first memories: I remember holding someones hand and being very tired and being walked up and down Elizabeth Street. [I was born in 56]. Then I remember the end of the street being closed off and the New City Hall going up.

Our New City Hall is a rare and beautiful place that additionally gave us a public square that we never had and needed, but for me it came with a price. The Chinatown identity was geographically confused for about 10 years afterwards. There would be Chinese themed events on Elizabeth and as well on Dundas near Huron, where a germinating Chinatown was gaining identity.

Just the other day I was just walking by the Kom Jug Yuen restaurant on Spadina (east side, just south of Cecil). This was the first Chinese restaurant to establish itself on Spadina, c1975-ish I think. The couple that used to run it have sold to new owners.

The old Chinatown. My paternal grandfather told me there was a Chinatown on York street when he arrived in 1918. Someone, somewhere, has a picture(s) in a shoebox; there sure aren't any on the internet.

Wonderful pic from the TPL dated 1923 of students from the York Street Public School which stood on the NW corner of York and Richmond:

pictures-r-4833.jpg

Inscribed:

A half-tone block after the print is in The Globe, Toronto, 1 June 1923, p. 12, with letterpress, b.: IN THE CANADIAN MELTING POT-More Than a Dozen Races Are Represented in This / Group of Children Photographed at York Street School, Toronto. Front Row (Left to Right): / Danish, Bulgarian, Canadian, Chinese, Jewish, Polish, Italian, Austrian, Syrian. Back Row: / English, Scottish, Negro, Swiss.
Inscribed in pencil, b.: Fourteen nationalities are represented in this / group at York St. School. / Back row - left to right / Chinese, English, Scottish, Negro, Swiss, / Front row - left to right: / Russian, Danish, Bulgarian, Canadian, Chinese, / Jewish, Polish, Italian, Austrian, Syrian

1910:

pictures-r-4828.jpg

yorkrichmond (2).jpg

Attachments

• pictures-r-4833.jpg
    pictures-r-4833.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 1,209
  • pictures-r-4828.jpg
    pictures-r-4828.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 985
  • yorkrichmond (2).jpg
    yorkrichmond (2).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 985
Last edited:
Always wonderful to see old school class photos - fine looking kids!
Is that a baseball scoreboard chalked on the school wall?
Certainly appropriate considering the big Jay's game scheduled for today.

the lemur: "It was called 4D's when it first opened."

I'm curious - what's the meaning of "4Ds" ???

While it would probably be better to wait until JT responds, I believe the D's refer to members of the Dennis family (three brothers and a sister), who owned (among other things), the Park Plaza, the National Trust Building on King, and innumerable apartment buildings. Also, I believe, the beaux-arts office building at Bloor & Bellair on whose rear parking lot the diner stood.

Last edited:
"I believe the D's refer to members of the Dennis family "
The charioteer.

Quite possibly and would be of a similar idea to that of P J's at Yonge, s/s Shaftsbury, wholly owned by

Paul J McNamara, including to the north, that of The Northgate Hotel and The Ports of Call.

4Ds would also continue the Dennis holdings within their "hospitality family" they including co-ownership

of The Sutton Place Hotel; The Bristol Place Hotel and accompanying Peel County Feed Co (restaurant)

and not to forget the Town & Country Club, (First restaurant and "Club" naming on Mutual/Jarvis Streets)

which was later renamed and expanded to at the least, four other locations.

Regards,
J T

Thanks to thecharioteer and JT for the excellent answers. The 'professor' is now content.

Wonderful pic from the TPL dated 1923 of students from the York Street Public School which stood on the NW corner of York and Richmond:

View attachment 57095

Inscribed:

A half-tone block after the print is in The Globe, Toronto, 1 June 1923, p. 12, with letterpress, b.: IN THE CANADIAN MELTING POT-More Than a Dozen Races Are Represented in This / Group of Children Photographed at York Street School, Toronto. Front Row (Left to Right): / Danish, Bulgarian, Canadian, Chinese, Jewish, Polish, Italian, Austrian, Syrian. Back Row: / English, Scottish, Negro, Swiss.
Inscribed in pencil, b.: Fourteen nationalities are represented in this / group at York St. School. / Back row - left to right / Chinese, English, Scottish, Negro, Swiss, / Front row - left to right: / Russian, Danish, Bulgarian, Canadian, Chinese, / Jewish, Polish, Italian, Austrian, Syrian
QUOTE]

It is indeed a wonderful pic. The picture also reminds me of that rare group of Canadians of Chinese descent who were born here waa-y back in the day. I have relations in their 80s who are Chinese Irish; invariably Chinese fathers/Irish mothers... Thank you thecharioteer

Last edited:

Back