News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 901     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 566     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Many of our "Then & Now" images (particularly this last pair) illustrate the extreme difference in the exteriors of old and new construction.

Where, once, the the buildings were all masonry, we now have (almost exclusively) glass exteriors.

Can some knowledgable engineer explain, in simple terms, the main reason for this revolution in construction/appearance?

Is it because of modern developments in steel-skeleton and/or concrete infrastructure?

s0372_ss0070_it0001.jpg

This may sound silly, but he reminds me of Obama.

Interesting... I was looking at those Harvey Naylor Kodachromes yesterday and was trying to figure out where this was.
It is looking across Church to Monteith, so the Loblaws was just north of the clubhouse.

f1526_fl0061_it0078.jpg
The Naylor fonds are amazing Anna. How did you find them as you can not directly get into the whole collection through the Toronto Archives website ? I have found a link through the internet but can't figure why I can't get direct access. Is there other fonds that we can see through a link and not the Archives ? Thanks , I miss Urban Toronto.

The Naylor fonds are amazing Anna. How did you find them as you can not directly get into the whole collection through the Toronto Archives website ? I have found a link through the internet but can't figure why I can't get direct access. Is there other fonds that we can see through a link and not the Archives ? Thanks , I miss Urban Toronto.

The Archives tweeted out the link.

But it looks like they haven't updated this list:
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/digitised_photos_list.htm

That page and the search are the only ways I know of finding fonds/collections.

I was having trouble finding them through the search, but then this worked. Note the 'scanned photographs only' box isn't ticked. It looks like they aren't indexed properly. Someone was trying to explain it to them on Twitter but I don't think they get it.
naylor.JPG

p.s. I just searched for the Ellis Wiley Fonds (#124) using the same method and got the same results - nothing if the 'scanned photographs only' box is ticked, something if it isn't. It must be because 'files' can be tagged as photos but 'fonds' can't.

Attachments

• naylor.JPG
    naylor.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:
The Archives tweeted out the link.

But it looks like they haven't updated this list:
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/digitised_photos_list.htm

That page and the search are the only ways I know of finding fonds/collections.

I was having trouble finding them through the search, but then this worked. Note the 'scanned photographs only' box isn't ticked. It looks like they aren't indexed properly. Someone was trying to explain it to them on Twitter but I don't think they get it.
View attachment 15745

p.s. I just searched for the Ellis Wiley Fonds (#124) using the same method and got the same results - nothing if the 'scanned photographs only' box is ticked, something if it isn't. It must be because 'files' can be tagged as photos but 'fonds' can't.

Thanks for the tip Anna. I think my next move is to offer my services to the Archives , scan and upload every photo they have so we can see everything. Not that I am obsessed or anything , well maybe I am.

Thanks for the tip Anna. I think my next move is to offer my services to the Archives , scan and upload every photo they have so we can see everything. Not that I am obsessed or anything , well maybe I am.

If the Archives have not yet fixed this filing/coding problem a first step might be to phone them and talk to someone. They are usually very helpful and clearly want to make their 'stuff' available. Reporting problems via Twitter may not be best way to get action.

You can do the scanning - I'll try the indexing & identification

If the Archives have not yet fixed this filing/coding problem a first step might be to phone them and talk to someone. They are usually very helpful and clearly want to make their 'stuff' available. Reporting problems via Twitter may not be best way to get action.

I thought the same thing so I sent them an email and this was the response:

Hello Anna,

Thank you for your feedback. Harvey Naylor is a wonderful collection. I'm so glad you are enjoying it. You are right, we haven't added it to our digitized photograph list yet. I believe this is because we are still working on scanning the collection. Its a huge collection with more great scans to come. I think this is also the reason the collection doesn't show up when you are advanced searching with the 'scanned photographs only' feature. That should change when the scanning is complete. One of the best ways find out when new monthly batches of scans go live is our Twitter account @torontoarchives where we announce all the new scans when they become available. Just let me know if you need further assistance with the Naylor collection.

Best,
Jessica

Many of our "Then & Now" images (particularly this last pair) illustrate the extreme difference in the exteriors of old and new construction.

Where, once, the the buildings were all masonry, we now have (almost exclusively) glass exteriors.

Can some knowledgable engineer explain, in simple terms, the main reason for this revolution in construction/appearance?

Is it because of modern developments in steel-skeleton and/or concrete infrastructure?

I'm no knowledgeable engineer, but Wikipedia says you are correct;).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain_wall#History

Back