News   Jul 15, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 590     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

wow the only thing still standing are the apartments at 132-148 Dundas Street west. they would have been brand new then.

Screen-shot-2013-03-31-at-95149-PM_zps2d38c125.gif:original

Untitled-1_zps976e4f17.gif:original

A walk by at night shows beautiful well kept up large (tall ceilings) and well lit rooms. The owner is looking after the place.

A walk by at night shows beautiful well kept up large (tall ceilings) and well lit rooms. The owner is looking after the place.

a friend has lived in that building for the better part of 30 years. she has an absolutely priceless original WW1 era apartment. original tile in the washroom, original mouldings and cabinetry, hardwood floors, very high ceilings...

^ A path I've travelled many times and never would have suspected it was ever inhabitated.

I wonder if there is an inventory of all the city's former housing units in now unpopulated areas - and what that approximate additional population would be if they were all still around?

"Those on the rooftop - what are they doing - work or sport?"
QUOTE: Prof Goldie.

They may be doing both! (As they are part of the Toronto Constabulary.)

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1909:

Police Station No 2.

57 - 59 Agnes Street. aka Dundas Street West.

Regards,
J T

It almost looks like they are involved in some sort of drill; facing each other like that...

Thanks J T. :)

A great one, Goldie. Funny how they would stick a semi-detached there with all that land around...
When I attended school across the road from here (both) there were still yellow markings on the pavement. Somewhere I have pics from around this area, circa 1977 or so. The building at the top mentioned by JT had a very mature roof garden then. I can still see the trees rising above the roof (in my head of course) and it didn't have any of the colour it now has, just plain white.

Then and Now for April 2, 2013.

Then. China Court. Spadina Ave. Construction finished on this about 1980 or so. The building on the left was repurposed from a factory whose purpose I can't remember anymore. Housekeeping on this property went downhill quickly. By 1990 or so it looked very tired.

1041.jpg

Now. September 2012. 'Chinatown Centre.' There is nothing left of the old China Court structure. The present structure went up around 1995.

1042.jpg

a friend has lived in that building for the better part of 30 years. she has an absolutely priceless original WW1 era apartment. original tile in the washroom, original mouldings and cabinetry, hardwood floors, very high ceilings...

Interior transom windows... can also be seen from the street. Just outstanding. :)

Then and Now for April 2, 2013.

Housekeeping on this property went downhill quickly. By 1990 or so it looked very tired.

Seems to be the fate for this site, the "housekeeping" has certainly gone downhill on the present Chinatown Centre, the courtyard is particularly sad looking and uninviting and the interior isn't all that much better.

Seems to be the fate for this site, the "housekeeping" has certainly gone downhill on the present Chinatown Centre, the courtyard is particularly sad looking and uninviting and the interior isn't all that much better.

Sadly, the place to be/visit/shop are the various Chinese malls in Markham. There are one or two exceptions even out there: Metro Square Mall on Ferrier has seen much better days.

The Chinese customer demographic might have something to do with it. Very very few Chinese above the unskilled immigrant class make their residence downtown nowadays.

Last edited:
Another outstanding one Goldie. Thanks for the research and the picture putting everything into perspective.

It's hard to believe that even in the ‘50s the stretch of Don Mills Road at the top of that hill and north was still country. I remember a large dairy farm on the east side at Eglinton, smaller farms on the west side where the Science Centre is now. My father would drive down Don Mills Rd. on our way from York Mills to visit grandparents in the east end – past the farms, down that hill, across the concrete arch bridge then winding up the other side to O'Connor. There was a riding stable in the valley.

Back