News   May 31, 2024
 1.2K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 4K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

www.cermc.webs.com

The downloadable file is near the bottom of the cover page. You must have Google Earth already installed on your computer to view the map. Any portion of the map can also be uploaded to your mobile GPS unit for use in the field if it runs the .kml/.kmz file format, and most do.

Current systems such as the TTC streetcars are marked in yellow, abandoned routes and historical systems are marked in amber. Where available, photos have been added to station/stop markers, and to the rail routes themselves. Just left click a mark/marker and the photos will load. In some cases where I have had time, you will find a camera icon. A double click on those icons will display the photos from the photographers point of view. Text information is included with each mark to inform you of the system you are looking at, and some systems like the Halifax street railway and the St. John street railway, all the marks are fully cited.
This work is offered for free and I make nothing off of the site traffic, so this is truely a labour of love. I spent all of last summer visiting every streetcar city across Canada doing research for this project and have not fully updated the map with this new information. If you are interested in following the updates as they happen, please take out a free membership on the website and you will receive notices when new updates are available.
I also live for criticism, so please feel free to let me know if you see something missing or incorrect.

Thank you Mustapha for this opportunity to share with everyone.

I also have links to my other projects for the class 1 railways in Ontario and Quebec at the bottom of the home page.

Paul

Good grief; lots to go through here. :) Thank you.

Then and Now for February 7, 2013.

Then. 'Floral Designs.' 1639 Yonge Street. 1925-ish? This is just south of the entrance to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. A greenhouse on the right of the picture peeks out. All nicely situated to assist commercially - and of course, emotionally - in the carrying out of the 'dismal trade'.

945.jpg

Now. August 2012.

The York School occupies this site now. The elaborate cemetery entrance gate and office is seen in both pictures.

946.jpg

sweet

that second one looking west on st clair would make a great then&now subject, assuming you could stand in the intersection to take a picture

You'd only have to dodge streetcars on the right-of-way, and there's a little island with bollards separating cars from streetcars. Perfectly safe!

Then and Now for February 8, 2013.

Then. SE corner of St. Clair and Vaughan. 'Wychwood Branch. The Dominion Bank.' c1920.

947StClairVaughanSEc1920.jpg

Now. August 2012. 92 years of progress in signage. :)

948.jpg

No clocks that I know of, but there's quite a few pieces of sidewalk art in Toronto too, come to mention it.
There's the Yonge Street map downtown, something on the corners of Queen & Broadview...some stuff on St. Clair West, if I'm not mistaken.
What else am I missing?

No clocks that I know of, but there's quite a few pieces of sidewalk art in Toronto too, come to mention it.
There's the Yonge Street map downtown, something on the corners of Queen & Broadview...some stuff on St. Clair West, if I'm not mistaken.
What else am I missing?

Yonge and Wellesley:

sidewalk-1-1024.jpg

Then. 'Floral Designs.' 1639 Yonge Street. 1925-ish? This is just south of the entrance to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. A greenhouse on the right of the picture peeks out. All nicely situated to assist commercially - and of course, emotionally - in the carrying out of the 'dismal trade'.

945.jpg

I like the Floral Designs building for its clinker brick facade. I wish we'd see a revival of some of the interesting cladding materials of the past in Toronto for their design potential like clinker brick, polychromatic brick and terracotta, which can all be adapted to compliment the modern aesthetic.

A CHILDHOOD MEMORY
I have a vague recollection of those iceboat rides.
My father took me for a ride on the Toronto Bay circa 1940.
I expect that a boat owner charged us for the ride, although it could have been free.
I believe the ride began next to the Terminal Warehouse.

A CHILDHOOD MEMORY
I have a vague recollection of those iceboat rides.
My father took me for a ride on the Toronto Bay circa 1940.
I expect that a boat owner charged us for the ride, although it could have been free.
I believe the ride began next to the Terminal Warehouse.

A link for you Goldie. 1922 Kodak colour film footage - a bit of 'cine' history.

"This clip is a very early, full-color Kodachrome film made by Kodak in 1922 to test new film stock and color processing. It is a lovely little four-and-a-half minutes of pretty actresses gesturing for the camera. The color and lighting are exquisite—all warm reds with flattering highlights—making it a purely enjoyable thing to watch."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vaul...r_the_camera.html?fb_ref=sm_fb_share_blogpost

Back