News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 764     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for December 17, 2012.

Thirty Avondale. c1920. It's in Rosedale, to save you all the trouble of looking it up. A couple of pictures today. Now pictures July 2012.

57730Avondalec1920.jpg

578lowrez.jpg

57930AvondaleRdc1920.jpg

580lowrez.jpg

Correction, Mustapha: it's the Whitney Block. Would anyone know if it's still empty due to code issues (as reported in 2007)?

To my knowledge, yes--but just the tower portion; the rest of the building is in use. The issue has to do with the narrowness of the space and the ability to install wide enough stairs and/or a modern elevator to bring it up to code for fire safety.

To my knowledge, yes--but just the tower portion; the rest of the building is in use. The issue has to do with the narrowness of the space and the ability to install wide enough stairs and/or a modern elevator to bring it up to code for fire safety.

This is just like the abandoned ballroom atop the King Edward Hotel.. same situation...

Last edited:
More York

When the British settled here, they wanted to distance themselves from the area's history of French settlement and chose the name York. Fortunately, we got rid of that overused colonial name in 1834.

They didn't do such a thorough job of getting rid of it as we ended up with the borough of East York, the boroughs/cities of North York, York, York County/York Region, York Street, West York Coach Lines, York University and ... York Peppermint Patties (although those weren't invented around here, York, Pennsylvania actually).

They didn't do such a thorough job of getting rid of it as we ended up with the borough of East York, the boroughs/cities of North York, York, York County/York Region, York Street, West York Coach Lines, York University and ... York Peppermint Patties (although those weren't invented around here, York, Pennsylvania actually).

:) Yorkville.

Atlanta has a fondness for 'Peachtree'. Makes it confusing to get around that metro.

Then and Now for December 20, 2012.

Then. 119 Glen Road. c1914. Residence of William Claude Fox, 'Esquire', no less.

892119GlenRdc1914.jpg

Now. July 2012.

893.jpg

Bonus. Another view. From the back? Can't for the life of me figure out where it was taken from. I was never any good at those parts of the IQ tests.

893a119GlenRdc1914backyard.jpg

Then and Now for December 20, 2012.

Then. 119 Glen Road. c1914. Residence of William Claude Fox, 'Esquire', no less.

Another view. From the back? Can't for the life of me figure out where it was taken from. I was never any good at those parts of the IQ tests.

893a119GlenRdc1914backyard.jpg

A neighbouring house, most likely 43 Binscarth? Mr, Fox, esquire has a motor car! and a large intriguing back yard. This back yard is now completely obscured by trees.

Back