News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Liverpool Then and Now [Titanic's home port - which it never got around to visiting, by the way].

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/mult...nging-face-of-liverpool-100252-31207308/#leaf

Some grand views of Liverpool - thanks Mustapha!

Here's the last of my recent east-end excursions:

Halfway House (this photo 1910) was built c.1848 on Kingston Rd. at Midland (N/W corner). It was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1966. The beautiful restoration was certainly expensive!

Then-HalfwayHouse-KingstonRdc1910.jpg

Replaced by a new red-brick Post Office which has evolved into a 'fitness club.'

Now-KingstonRdatMidlandNWcorner2012.jpg

Some grand views of Liverpool - thanks Mustapha!

Here's the last of my recent east-end excursions:

Halfway House (this photo 1910) was built c.1848 on Kingston Rd. at Midland (N/W corner). It was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1966. The beautiful restoration was certainly expensive!

Then-HalfwayHouse-KingstonRdc1910.jpg

Replaced by a new red-brick Post Office which has evolved into a 'fitness club.'

Now-KingstonRdatMidlandNWcorner2012.jpg

A wonderful visual tour, Goldie.

But,.. I wonder how many original boards are in these modern restorations of all wood 180 year old buildings. :)

Then and Now for December 10, 2012.

Then. The Dominion Bank. SE corner College and Spadina, c1920. As always, thanks to wwwebster for sourcing this picture.

876CollegeSpadinaSEc1920.jpg

Now. July 2012.

877.jpg

College and Spadina looks like it was supposed to be a grand intersection as a civic achievement. And it was an achievement, but one that wasn't preserved. The buildings on the corners appear to have been imposing and beautiful and there are many spires for an element of the picturesque, complimenting (Old) Knox College in the commanding position in the centre of the circle just north of the intersection. The Art Deco block on the NE corner and the Modernist replacements for the banks on the NW and SE corners aren't bad buildings (the one on the SE corner is now tackier as it became a Burger King), but the intersection isn't nearly as grand today as it was in those photos.

Last edited:
Great history! It was certainly one of Toronto's grand, old intersections.
I believe this is where I shot an image in Sept. of this year:

TN-CollegeatSpadina1927-2012.jpg

Then and Now for December 11, 2011.

Then. College and LaPlante. SE corner. c1914. Hiscott Dermatological Institute. 61 College Street. wwwebster; thanks big guy. :)

878CollegeLaplanteSEc1914.jpg

Now. July 2012.

879.jpg

From the Society of Toronto Blue Book for 1908

THE HISCOTT (FORMERLY GRAHAM) Dermatological Institute

ONE of the most up-to-date establishments of the kind in America for the treatment of Skin, Scalp, Hair and all complexional troubles.
NO CHANGE IN PRINCIPALS but a larger staff of thoroughly trained assistants who give our Face Treatments, Scalp Treatments, do
Chiropody, Shampooing and give treatments for the permanent removal of Superfluous Hair, Moles, Warts, Birthmarks, Ruptured Veins, etc., by our method of Electrolysis. In the basement are our business offices and laboratory where the PRINCESS TOILET PREPARATIONS consist
ing of Skin Food, Complexion Purifier, White Rose Cream, Acne and Pimple Cure, Cinderella Cream, Hiscott Hair Tonic and a host of other nice preparations are made. These are all fully described in our brochure " A Study of Your Face and Figure," sent on request.

61 COLLEGE STREET, Cor. Laplante Avenue

"It's just dawned on me.. the sheer large scale of that church. The scalloped windows in the steep roof were a nice touch. Thanks thecharioteer. "
QUOTE: Mustapha.

The congregants must have felt on the Tip Top of the world.

Regards,
J T

I'll let JT explain this little bit of obscurity.. :)

From the Society of Toronto Blue Book for 1908

THE HISCOTT (FORMERLY GRAHAM) Dermatological Institute

ONE of the most up-to-date establishments of the kind in America for the treatment of Skin, Scalp, Hair and all complexional troubles.
NO CHANGE IN PRINCIPALS but a larger staff of thoroughly trained assistants who give our Face Treatments, Scalp Treatments, do
Chiropody, Shampooing and give treatments for the permanent removal of Superfluous Hair, Moles, Warts, Birthmarks, Ruptured Veins, etc., by our method of Electrolysis. In the basement are our business offices and laboratory where the PRINCESS TOILET PREPARATIONS consist
ing of Skin Food, Complexion Purifier, White Rose Cream, Acne and Pimple Cure, Cinderella Cream, Hiscott Hair Tonic and a host of other nice preparations are made. These are all fully described in our brochure " A Study of Your Face and Figure," sent on request.

61 COLLEGE STREET, Cor. Laplante Avenue

Thanks for finding this for us DSC. It must have been quite the business; that building was likely purpose built.

Back