News   Jul 08, 2024
 1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 625     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"You're kidding, right?"
QUOTE the lemur.

No. Not kidding.

According to Mike Filey, the former and present Yonge Family (he has met personaly with them)

as I had mentioned, continue to pronounce ther name as described.

The name Spadina refers to the house, (Spadina House) after which all of the thoroughfare were named.

The house is known as Spadeena House; my grandfather worked there in the late 1800's, and a friend of

mine (now living in the U S of A) is related to the Austin Family. "There is no debate" - algore. (LOL)

I have read in one of my older books the reason re John Strachan. That is all that I can say on that matter.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I think he is not kidding. I am just aware with it's name by Spadina House. My late grandfather was always discussing about this house and I remember that he said about a Austin family who belongs to this house. I am sure and no doubt about it.

You're kidding, right?

No, I've heard that too. I even heard a British research assistant on TV insist it was pronounced in the manner rhyming with sponge. But, sorry, limies, that sucks, and we ain't pronouncing it that way n'more. :) When you have the longest street in the world threading through six million people, you can call yours whatever you want.

Oddly enough, when we moved to Ontario and visited Toronto, my mom evoked a few smiles by pronouncing it "Spa-DEEN-a" too. I've always had a feeling that was probably the original pronunciation, but that ship has sailed too.

But it's not too late to get people to stop pronouncing it "Eg-LING-ton". Only one "G", folks. ;)

But it's not too late to get people to stop pronouncing it "Eg-LING-ton". Only one "G", folks. ;)

Tremaine's Map of the County of York, Canada West, 1860
Eglington.jpg

Roncesvalles

I find it pretty implausible that a major road named for such a prominent person would undergo such a significant shift in pronunciation without the original pronunciation being reinforced by common usage. What would a last name pronounced 'yundge' even mean?

Spadina/Spadina emerged as a kind of class distinction. It's enough that the 'ee' pronunciation stuck where the house is concerned.

As for John Strachan, I'm not sure why he wasn't able to make this putative change in pronunciation stick, not least in a city with no shortage of Scotsmen.

http://www.clanstrachan.org/clan_story.htm

The Brits are suckers for words and names that aren't pronounced as spelled, for use as class markers and to catch outsiders out. Especially if they can be inconsistent about it (Leicester, Bicester, Towcester, but not Cirencester). It wouldn't make sense for them to pronounce Yonge to rhyme with sponge just because they look alike!

I was once asked for directions to 'Spadona'. Some tourist trying to split the difference between Spadina and Sedona, I guess.

There's a map from 1908 that also has 'Eglington' on it. Wonder if one version was a variant for a while, or if the G was eventually dropped.

One thing I'd like to know is Ossington's 'z' - is it also in the Ossington in Yorkshire?

The one thing that I don't understand (among many things actually) is how one is able to now differentiate

between Gov John Graves Simcoe and his father; Lake Simcoe being named after his father by the former.

(And if anyone believes that I will rumage through 70 lineal feet of books to refind that comment . . . )

While I am on the subject of Gov J G Simcoe, another misconception may be laid to rest. The Governor he was; a Lord, never.

Regards,
J T

"and to catch outsiders out."
QUOTE the lemur.

1) Thank you, thank you, thank you.
(LOL)

2) Then there was "Spadunk", but farther to the west.
(And that's no Bull.)

Regards,
J T

'do hope that someone picks up my play-on-words re No 2.

My most frustrating street pronunciation problem is regarding Queens Quay - KEE or QWAY?
Both appear to be popular.

"pronunciation problem is regarding Queens Quay"
QUOTE Prof Goldie.

Kee or Ki.

Not to be confused with the KEE KEE or KI KI Bird of the Alaska Highway fame.

Regards,
J T

(Anyone, please post any knowlege of the above. I am sure we would enjoy your comments.)

Last edited:

Back