News   Jul 08, 2024
 348     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 997     6 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 594     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Feb 23.

Then. High Park Blvd. and Parkside Dr. NE corner. c1918.

414HighParkBlvdParksideDrNEc1918.jpg

Now. July 2011. Aieee, that evergreen...

415.jpg

That house actually had a glass conservatory (vaguely seen behind the porch in the "then" photo) until it was replaced/"enclosed" within the past decade or so...)

I notice that in the 'A & P' window its says '39c" for shirts. That's over $3. in todays money. Imagine spending $800 a year just to keep in clean shirts. I do my own.

Sure, easy to say now, but back in 1952 you'd likely be using an old wringer washer, a clothesline in the back yard, and a non-steam iron.

f0207_s1251_it0078.jpg

Sure, easy to say now, but back in 1952 you'd likely be using an old wringer washer, a clothesline in the back yard, and a non-steam iron.

f0207_s1251_it0078.jpg

These old washing machines still occasionally pop out of basements cleaned up after elderly homeowners have moved on. I think those two men are sailors on a ship... the rope tying the washing machine and the rivets on the walls are not-so-subtle clues. :)

Then and Now for Feb 24.

Then. Marmaduke and Sunnyside, NW corner, c1917. Howard Park Methodist Church.

416MarmadukeSunnysideNWc1917.jpg

Now. July 2011. A condo now..

417.jpg

These old washing machines still occasionally pop out of basements cleaned up after elderly homeowners have moved on. I think those two men are sailors on a ship... the rope tying the washing machine and the rivets on the walls are not-so-subtle clues. :)

100% correct - "H.M.C.S. "Forest Hill" crew doing laundry - 1945 - Official "dhobeyman" or laundryman of HMCS Forest Hill is Sick Berth Attendant Al Chartrand (at left) of Montreal is shown with AB Torpedoman Frank Bramfit of Toronto (at right) doing laundry on a machine presented to the ship by residents of Forest Hill Village.

"In a 'military' vein,.. "
QUOTE Mustapha.

RIP Jackie Rae.

Regards,
J T

Danforth/Logan

Something else from my recent visit to the Danforth:

Danforth Ave. in 1932 exhibited this mis-alignment at the Logan intersection.
The building on the right appears to have been moved to allow the correction.

LoganDanforth1932web.jpg

The school in the far background (on Logan S. of Danforth) has been replaced by Frankland Community School and Community Centre.

LoganDanforth2012web.jpg

Two-frame panorama attached:

Attachments

• Danforth-Logan pan.jpg
    Danforth-Logan pan.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Something else from my recent visit to the Danforth:

Danforth Ave. in 1932 exhibited this mis-alignment at the Logan intersection.
The building on the right appears to have been moved to allow the correction.

LoganDanforth1932web.jpg

The school in the far background (on Logan S. of Danforth) has been replaced by Frankland Community School and Community Centre.

LoganDanforth2012web.jpg

Two-frame panorama attached:

Goldie,

This Then and Now is in its own right an interesting comparison of the past and the present - showing the iconic Woolworths department store and Tamblyn drugstore of the past - and the rather ubiquitous Tim Hortons and TD Bank of the present day.

I'm torn as to whether the TD bank building was moved or whether it is the camera lenses exaggerating the respective perspectives in both pictures... so, I'm disagreeing with you. :) Anyone else care to weigh in?

This intersection is also interesting in that demolition of buildings on the north east corner may have occurred in order to create the park that is there now, as well as the Logan Avenue roadway that angles north east from Danforth Avenue. A look at an old map would confirm or disprove this.

So, I have family that lives in Ohio, USA that I visit on occasion.

Every area that I travel to receives its share of Mustaphaic observation and perhaps even investigation.

In keeping with my penchant of injecting a bit of geographical variety once in a while into what is I realize a Toronto Then and Now thread - that's what you all signed up for and work hard at, right? :), but we don't want to make Jack a Dull Boy so let's have a look at a fascinating tidbit of Ohio Then and Now. Click on the link, scroll down a bit and you'll see a vintage postcard scene of a bridge and a house. The picture beneath that shows the bridge in the present day emerged from a 50 year submergence under a man made lake.

Let's say I have this thing for inundated towns. :)

Finally,.. FAC33, this one's for you:

http://www.gribblenation.com/swparoads/essays/nationalrd/mdtoyough.html

http://www.route40.net/page.asp?n=374

Back