News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Let me get right on that. :)

Ok then. We are looking at the NE corner of Avenue Road and Davenport. I'm guessing that is our former Traders Bank branch. Does anyone have access to a trade directory?

s0071_it8708.jpg

Actually I think I did a Then and Now on this intersection but I don't know how to work the search feature. :(

This corner building has been replaced with some sort of glass 60s thing.

Those old houses on the left are still there.

So, prior to the viaduct - a trip from anywhere on the Danforth to say, Bloor and Yonge; required a streetcar west to Broadview, south to Gerrard, and then west to Yonge and north to Bloor.

Yup.

And even the opening of the viaduct didn't change things. It wasn't until 1923 that there was through service along Danforth & Bloor.

History of the Bloor Streetcar

"Does anyone have access to a trade directory?" QUOTE Mustapha

Need you ask? (LOL)

Having "more money than tyme", rather than doing an "internetarchives.org" search, I went directly to

my 'case and retrieved Might's 1909 (08) City of Toronto directory:

PLEASE NOTE: THE BELOW IS TOTALLY WRONG, WITH IT'S CORRECTION LATER IN THIS THREAD.

THIS POST ONLY REMAINS TO RETAIN CONTINUITY WITH PICS & COMMENT BY 'THECHARIOTEER". (His name now being upgraded to caps!)

REGARDS,
j t

1) 173 Avenue Road; Dominion Bank.

2) 709 Queen St East; Dominion Bank.

Pure conjecture:

This leads me to suppose that the Dominion Bank may not only have taken the Trader's buildings, but

also absorbed (not amalgamated) same due to a possible "bust".

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Ok then. We are looking at the NE corner of Avenue Road and Davenport. I'm guessing that is our former Traders Bank branch. Does anyone have access to a trade directory?

s0071_it8708.jpg

Actually I think I did a Then and Now on this intersection but I don't know how to work the search feature. :(

This corner building has been replaced with some sort of glass 60s thing.

Those old houses on the left are still there.

I think it was on the SE corner (demolished for the Davenport widening, along with the entire south side of the street). There's still a TD branch there:

s0372_ss0003_it0983.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0975.jpg

s0071_it8618.jpg

Last edited:
"I think it was on the SE corner . . . There's still a TD branch there:" QUOTE thecharioteer

TOTAL SCREW-UP ON MY PART!

Not only did I misread the Might's in that the Dominion Bank was indeed on the S/E corner of "Ave & Dav",

(no Trader's Bank as yet on the N/E - 1908) but the Queen/Broadview Trader's Branch was at the

N/W corner in the Broadview Hotel, not the S/E, where indeed was the Dominion Bank.

Regards,
j t

Last edited:
"1912 edition says 146 Avenue (SW corner)." QUOTE WWWEBSTER (now also in caps!)

YES, YES!

With a Mrs Jane Brown (wid Henry) living above.

Regards,
J T

Just a thought... sometimes at the Sunday antiques day at St. Lawrence Market one can find paper ephemera from vanished Toronto businesses - like our Traders Bank. It's a cool way of "touching" the past. I used to collect stuff like this - stopped now - filing cabinet is full. There is an occasional "paper show" where the prices are quite elevated for these items that have intrinsic value certainly but I used to seek them out outside of this channel and paid much less.

" I used to collect stuff like this - stopped now - filing cabinet is full." QUOTE Mustapha.

QUESTION:

What do you give a man who has everything?

ANSWER:

Storage space!

As an aside, there will be no snack bar at the market this (entire) weekend - wedding being held in Chicago.

Regards,
J T

Never knew this, but the long-demolished Royal Bank on the NE corner of Bloor and Yonge was originally a Traders Bank:

POSTCARD20-20TORONTO20-20TRADERS20BANK20-20BLOOR20STREET20-20EARLY.jpg

NEcornerBloorYonge_edited.jpg

2007-09-06-2352-38_edited.jpg

f0124_fl0002_id0112.jpg

Last edited:
"Dare I say, Might's makes Right? " QUOTE THECHARIOTEER. (in CAPS!)

With the above noted case - with DEFINITE ABANDON!

Regards,
j t

Back