News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

May 26 addition.

Then. 241 Yonge Street. A building with much character and a great view - I'm sure - framed by that fourth floor window.

Picture from "Construction - a journal for the architectural engineering and contracting interests of Canada" published in 1919. The architect was Jas. Mitchell. How many of you know that Jas. is short for James. :)

Viewable scans edited and provided through the efforts of UTer wwwebster. Thank you wwwebster!

18.jpg

Now. May 2011. That glazing - that's the technical term for a wall of glass :) - looks utterly original. Please, let's just admire the windows.

18a.jpg
My eyes are draw to the right for some reason....

Now. May 2011. That glazing - that's the technical term for a wall of glass :) - looks utterly original. Please, let's just admire the windows.

The top floor has had the glass changed, the larger squares were each divided into 4 smaller panes, but now are one large pane. Yes, I am being a pedant.

Still, all the original frames, etc. Amazing.

I have been told that ivy is detrimental to the stone/brick, which I think is a lot of BS.

Aside from being great looking, it prevents heat buildup in the wall area, thus lowering

retained heat in same by providing shade similar to that of an awning. (which see)

Regards,
J T

However, ivy is an "organic" material, which--yes--could create havoc w/the masonry it clings to. (But the positive function you're suggesting probably underlies "green wall" technology.)

Here's a case of Money Mart being a responsible tenant/landlord/whatever. (Another: the Carrere & Hastings bank at Keele + Dundas.)

Their "footprint" seems quite light. Don't know what they've done to the inside, but from the looks of the outside it looks like they could vacate and not leave any lasting damage - like that done by ivy. :)

Some changes to Don Mills Rd. (just N. of Eglinton).

TNDonMillsRRcrossingatIBM19601.jpg

TNDonMillsRRcrossingatIBM19602.jpg

IBM - I wonder how the interior details of that complex - especially in the executive offices area, have held up. I'm guessing that top tier companies like IBM at that time as a matter of routine had some nice mid-century details in their offices. Does anyone here have access?

donoreo, Conrad Black: Now that I know that you guys get distracted so easily, I will haze out details like the stag shop young lady in future posts.

I can't win on Yonge street. :)

May 27 addition.

Then. June 13, 1923. The Roaring Twenties. A classy Toronto Union Station. Straw boater hats on men after Victoria Day. Boyish figures on women. What's that got to do with this picture? Nothing. It's late and my creative writing abilities are flagging. :)

21june131923newunionstationrowofticketoffices.jpg

Now. May 2011. Mike Holmes needs to do his TV show number on that door - never mind - that whole "addition".

22.jpg

Back