News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 776     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Speaking of Bloor and Jarvis and the effect of what was known as the Clifton Road Extension (aka Mount Pleasant Road, between St. Clair and Bloor), from the Toronto Star archives:

2084200832.jpg

Caption: Clifton Road Extension built at a cost of nearly $5,000,000 four times original estimate, was officially opened today in ceremony by Mayor Hiram McCallum. Photo taken circa May 17, 1950. Last Published: 19500517

Last edited:
Judging by the windows over the doors, it looks like the doors were lowered. Not an unusual phenomenon, if one compares old photos of Massey Hall to the current situation, the same thing occurred.

massey_hall_postcard_2010003.jpg

Massey20Hall.jpg

Thank you thecharioteer. Interesting to see the fire escape in your Now picture. Something you don't see much of in Toronto now as old buildings get replaced and interior stair wells serve the same purpose.

It's been awhile but I have started to include some people along with the places in a few Then and Nows. Enjoy.... :)

5755552364_5c9b57c408_b.jpg

The lamp, the Simpsons/Bay store, add a comforting sense of Toronto's continuity in this pair of pictures. The Old City Hall steps also no longer serve for ceremonial occasions except for Rememberance Day. Yes, I do realize we have a New City Hall with a square that holds many more people safely, but the sense of occasion on these steps has been lost to modern Torontonians.

JARVIS & CHARLES

Here are two more in the general vicinity which I'm sure everyone has already seen countless times; humour me - I'm new :)

circa 1960
jarvischarlescirca1960.jpg

Hard to believe the smart Pizza Pizza head office on that corner that replaced that old house is now also gone.

Speaking of Bloor and Jarvis and the effect of what was known as the Clifton Road Extension (aka Mount Pleasant Road, between St. Clair and Bloor), from the Toronto Star archives:

2084200832.jpg

Caption: Clifton Road Extension built at a cost of nearly $5,000,000 four times original estimate, was officially opened today in ceremony by Mayor Hiram McCallum. Photo taken circa May 17, 1950. Last Published: 19500517

There are quite a few online pictures of the construction at the Toronto Archives.

And all the cars travelling north get backed up at Lawrence Avenue anyways...

May 25 addition.

Then. "October 5, 1916. SE corner Yonge & Shuter." We are looking N on Yonge. Rialto theatre on the right with the flowers out front. We've discussed this intersection in the past in this thread re: buildings lost, etc. Quick sum up for you out of towners - the buildings on the right - east side - of Yonge have generally survived. The buildings on the left - west side - were torn down in the early 70s for the present Eaton Centre mall.

Today, we have an interesting street scene from the past. An army officer with riding crop. It's wartime, perhaps he is on leave from the training camp at the CNE grounds. A businessman and a newsboy round out a scene that could have been from a silent movie - that might have played at the Rialto. :)

s0372_ss0041_it0049.jpg

Now. March 2011. Perhaps our scene is not as exotic as the Then picture but it will be to future generations.

DSC_0198-1.jpg

May 26 addition.

Then. 241 Yonge Street. A building with much character and a great view - I'm sure - framed by that fourth floor window.

Picture from "Construction - a journal for the architectural engineering and contracting interests of Canada" published in 1919. The architect was Jas. Mitchell. How many of you know that Jas. is short for James. :)

Viewable scans edited and provided through the efforts of UTer wwwebster. Thank you wwwebster!

18.jpg

Now. May 2011. That glazing - that's the technical term for a wall of glass :) - looks utterly original. Please, let's just admire the windows.

18a.jpg

Here's a case of Money Mart being a responsible tenant/landlord/whatever. (Another: the Carrere & Hastings bank at Keele + Dundas.)

May 26 addition.

Then. 241 Yonge Street. A building with much character and a great view - I'm sure - framed by that fourth floor window.

Picture from "Construction - a journal for the architectural engineering and contracting interests of Canada" published in 1919. The architect was Jas. Mitchell. How many of you know that Jas. is short for James. :)

Viewable scans edited and provided through the efforts of UTer wwwebster. Thank you wwwebster!

18.jpg

Now. May 2011. That glazing - that's the technical term for a wall of glass :) - looks utterly original. Please, let's just admire the windows.

18a.jpg
My eyes are draw to the right for some reason....

Back