News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The new building appears to be home to the City of Toronto's Parkdale Social Services. However, the rest of the site to the north still makes candy bars, under the Nestlé banner (72 Sterling Road).

I just realized the crosswalk - the one in the Then picture - is still there. I neglected to include it in my Now picture. I could have zoomed the lens back a bit to include it. So my Now picture is correct.

May 4 addition.

Then. [St Clair. Looking] "E from Laughton. Dec. 16, 1931."

s0372_ss0064_it0065.jpg

Now. March 2011.

DSC_0036-2.jpg

This has nothing to do with Toronto but I'm sure some of you will appreciate the photos at this link.

Vivian Maier was a nanny who lived in Chicago for most of her life and passed away in 2009 at the age of 83. Little more is known about her, except that she was an avid street photographer. Her work was discovered at an auction in 2007, more than 100,000 negatives and undeveloped rolls of film, sold by a storage facility who were cleaning out her locker for delinquent rent.

Not Toronto related, but some photos I think you will appreciate

This has nothing to do with Toronto but I'm sure some of you will appreciate the photos at this link.

Vivian Maier was a nanny who lived in Chicago for most of her life and passed away in 2009 at the age of 83. Little more is known about her, except that she was an avid street photographer. Her work was discovered at an auction in 2007, more than 100,000 negatives and undeveloped rolls of film, sold by a storage facility who were cleaning out her locker for delinquent rent.

The disaster from the Master - Miller & Co!

Just imagine this being L'Shore Blvd between River Humber & Etobicoke Creek.

(Yes Galdis, after only 5-7 years of doing an entire refit of the above L'Shore, TTC wanted to subject

residents & merchants to the same BS as was given St Clair.)

OBTW, how is one to access the Green P parking lot noted by it's signage - West side of street?

Regards,
J T

Thank you! They're brilliant!

"Drive a few miles until you can make a u-turn or always stay on that side of the street ..... " QUOTE thecharioteer.

Not doubt.

Regards,
J T

I've been following this over the past few months. It's an amazing story of an amazing body of photographic work.

In west_end_kids vein, here is the story of a Los Angeles community uprooted in order for Dodger Stadium to be built. I posted another link similar to this a couple of years ago but this story has a special hold over me.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chavezravine/album.html

The new building appears to be home to the City of Toronto's Parkdale Social Services.

Though I believe it might have been built as a new Rowntree admin building--and most people would notice that a lot of the "original" plant appears to be a 60s/70s rebuild as well...

"Or a series of well thought out right hand turns" QUOTE Mustaphs.

No Righthand turns were allowed . . .

only Left, as was Toronto City Council.

Regards,
J T

Huge sale of used photo equipment

Thanks for that link, kid.
Those photographs are magnificent examples of 'street photography.'.
I had previously studied the story of Vivian Maier at this site:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/January-2011/Vivian-Maier-Street-Photographer/

By the way, all photographers will be pleased to learn that Canada's largest sale of used, new, antique cameras and all sorts of photographic stuff will be held on the 15th of May.
It happens only twice each year and is a great place for bargains - especially if you want a film camera!
See attached notice:

Attachments

• Big One.jpg
    Big One.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 231

Back