News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 985     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

junctionist; many in Toronto remember the novelty of Toronto "standing in" for an unnamed American city in that film. I think it might have been one of the first films to do so.

November 8 addition.

Then. May 6 1940. Looking SW past the NW corner of St. Clair Gardens and St. Clair Ave. W.

s0372_ss0058_it1576.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0551.jpg

...where, may I ask are the east + west views?

Sorry for the late response...unfortunately, it's an incomplete set (as is often the case with these high-detail versions), so the sheets to the east and west are missing.

As always, though, I'm ever-vigilant, and will advise when I find more! :)

Curiously Platt's moved from that location to the small location where the Home Hardware is now (behind Mustapha's POV). They were around for quite some time, well into the 1960's IIRC.

Yes, I walked by that Home Hardware; neat back story. On Yonge street near where I live is "Circle Shoes"; it's been there since about 1950, still in business.

November 9 addition.

Then. June 3, 1952. SE corner Jones and Danforth.

s0372_ss0058_it2352.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0440.jpg

I wonder how many of those Oxo signs still exist (if any)--and the "an invigorating drink" angle is worth reconsidering...

I wonder how many of those Oxo signs still exist (if any)--and the "an invigorating drink" angle is worth reconsidering...

Mmmm, a big tumbler full of Concentrated Meat Extract--so invigorating! i suppose by this reckoning OXO is the original 'energy drink'. Look out Red Bull!

9baa6ced.jpg

OXO always reminds me of the Oxo Building/Tower on the south bank of the Thames in London, near the Tate Modern. When it was built the City prohibited any advertisements on buildings in that location so the architect designed the tower with windows that are shaped like Xs and Os. Yes, they spell OXO. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OXO_Tower

Great thread!! That shot of Jones/Danforth got me looking for another area, Gerrard between Jones/Pape..... I can't find anything on the archives, I'm curious to see what the site of Gerrard Square was before they built that monstrosity. Anyone come across anything?

Great thread!! That shot of Jones/Danforth got me looking for another area, Gerrard between Jones/Pape..... I can't find anything on the archives, I'm curious to see what the site of Gerrard Square was before they built that monstrosity. Anyone come across anything?

Just put 'Gerrard Pape' in the search box and you will get photos of the area during TTC track work in 1928.

Thanks Anna, i saw those but they generally look west from pape or carlaw showing the track and bridge work, I'm more interested in seeing a view looking east, showing what occupied the site of Gerrard Square.

June 3, 1952. SE corner Jones and Danforth.

s0372_ss0058_it2352.jpg

Thanks for the memories of the Jones/Danforth area, Mustapha.
That's where I spent my childhood.
The TD Bank in the background is where I had my first savings account - it was the Bank of Toronto in those days.
Here's the view of the north side of Danforth immediately opposite Jones Ave.

P.S. My mother often gave me a glass of hot water with an OXO cube disolved in it. Healthy, I suppose!

TNDanforthatJones-1934.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to recomment to all builders and renovators that they remember to enclose "Time Capsules" inside the walls of buildings.
Wouldn't it be great if, when the condos of today are demolished, wonderful artifacts suddenly appear in the ruins?

Going back a bit in this thread... I can't agree more! In fact you don't even need a treasure to hide, just a pencil sketch for future generations would do. Here's a sketch we found removing wall-paper from our house in North Toronto. Likely from the 60's:
behind-paper.jpg

(Posted to my photoblog back in August 2004.)

Mmmm, a big tumbler full of Concentrated Meat Extract--so invigorating! i suppose by this reckoning OXO is the original 'energy drink'. Look out Red Bull!

9baa6ced.jpg

OXO always reminds me of the Oxo Building/Tower on the south bank of the Thames in London, near the Tate Modern. When it was built the City prohibited any advertisements on buildings in that location so the architect designed the tower with windows that are shaped like Xs and Os. Yes, they spell OXO. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OXO_Tower

I'm wondering if this was a form of nourishment for the less well off - aimed at the family that couldn't afford even beef bones to make soup broth...

An Asian equivalent might be fermented tofu - you can buy it in jars - a cube or two with some steamed rice makes for a meal that costs pennies. My gramps told me he ate this in Toronto in the 20s and 30s; on Saturday they got a pork chop. He introduced it to me. The tofu; not the pork chops.

Ovaltine... another ancient product that no one drinks or talks about; but Loblaws still carries it.

Going back a bit in this thread... I can't agree more! In fact you don't even need a treasure to hide, just a pencil sketch for future generations would do. Here's a sketch we found removing wall-paper from our house in North Toronto. Likely from the 60's:
behind-paper.jpg

(Posted to my photoblog back in August 2004.)

seemsartless - and you took a photo of it too. Well done! :) I assume it's been covered up again for the ages...

November 10 addition. More of Goldie's old stomping grounds.

Then. June 3 1952. 586 - 588 Jones Avenue.

s0372_ss0058_it2351.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0442.jpg

I follow you!

November 10 addition. More of Goldie's old stomping grounds.

Then. June 3 1952. 586 - 588 Jones Avenue.

s0372_ss0058_it2351.jpg

Oh, m'god! What a coincidence!
I photographed the same house in October.
I didn't know there was an old view in the archives.
I shot it only because it appealed to me as a unique house/store.

Attachments

• Jones.jpg
    Jones.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Back