News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The taste of the CNE.

From earlier yesterday. Sam McBride. I always wondered who it was they named the Island ferry after.

Sam McBride (1866-1936) was also a two time Mayor of the City: first time from 1928 to 29, and second time in 1936, a term which ended early upon his death that year.

Last edited:
HONEY DEW was another company in the E P (Eddie) Taylor "stable".

Regards,
J T

I suppose his descendants are running one of his companies somewhere... and maybe doing alright or even better.

I wonder sometimes what happened to the descendants of some of last century's disappeared business empires... Eatons, etc. Perhaps one or two of the elderly principals still have some capital or real estate to live off of. Perhaps their children and grandchildren have had their houses paid for. Perhaps there was assistance to start enterprises of their own.

December 3 addition.

Then: Wellington at Leader Lane. Not a single car to help date range this photo.:D

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0088.jpg

Now: November 2009.

DSC_0018-1.jpg

I suppose his descendants are running one of his companies somewhere... and maybe doing alright or even better.

EP Taylor's companies got taken over by Conrad Black. He somehow got his widow to give up control. Most of the companies were sold (Dominion, Standard Broadcasting etc) or closed (Massey Ferguson). In the end all that was left was the newspaper business. And we know what happened to that.

EP Taylor's companies got taken over by Conrad Black. He somehow got his widow to give up control. Most of the companies were sold (Dominion, Standard Broadcasting etc) or closed (Massey Ferguson). In the end all that was left was the newspaper business. And we know what happened to that.

You will do better if you read-up on these three gentlemen:

E P Taylor.

J A (Bud) McDougald.

Conrad (Lord) Black.

Regards,
J T

From the signs on the white storefronts (one that looks like an aardvark or something and the purple/orange one reading "IG....", I agree with JT Cunningham - very late '60s at the earliest. Another clue is the "One Way Do Not Enter" sign - they began changing to the symbol type (as in the "now" photo) after 1971.

Last edited:
From the signs on the white storefronts (one that looks like an aardvark or something and the purple/orange one reading "IG....", I agree with JT Cunningham - very late '60s at the earliest. Another clue is the "One Way Do Not Enter" sign - they began changing to the symbol type (as in the "now" photo) after 1971.

I remember a store called aardvark in the early '70s, though I can't remember what it was.

Didn't aardvark sell tasteful household accessories in the late 60s?

Oh, yes. And wasn't there another place called Karelia selling Scandinavian design, somewhere around there? I think they moved up to the Manulife Centre before '80s excess took over everything.

That TELEPHONE booth helps date this picture...

JT: I think you are right-the Wellington/Leader pic dates from the late 60s-early 70s era.
Another thing that helps is seeing that phone booth there-
street phone booths if not totally gone are few and far between today(?)
Younger people today probably do not remember them or rotary telephones
that you actually DIAL-the expression that describes using a telephone is still used today.
Coin telephones are an endangered species today as a result of the "gadget explosion". LI MIKE

Also of note is 50 Wellington Street East in that this building has had a "reface job". The

entire front has been removed and replaced some time during the . . . '50's? I am unable

to locate any pic of this property that shows when this change was made. Another

mystery!

Regards,
J T

According to this website : http://chefdb.com/pl/1036/ the "Old World Restaurant" seen in the before picture was in business from 1966-1970 so this picture was taken between these dates

Back