642     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

130 Kingston Rd

130Kingston_1952JULY02.jpg

130 Kingston Rd Circa 2009

130Kingston_2009.jpg

SW Corner Davenport & Bedford March 25 1933
DavenportBedford_1933MAR25.jpg

Awesome! I can't believe that pharmacy is still the same brand! Woods! Way to do Business, Woods Prescriptions!

Also, I love the old-school Service (Gas) Stations!
Here's one in Hamilton's St Clair neighbourhood!
old_gas_stn.jpg

It's neat that they all have that similar Tudor/Gingerbread House look!

Honest Ed's looked so much better in the before picture. It certainly acts as an abrupt segway in between the Annex and Korea town.

One can't help but wonder if the place is even profitable. With all that real estate it's downright silly they never put in a full size grocery store (there is a grocery section but it's quite sad), it would be great for the area (price chopper prices) and would pull in a lot more people who would start buying their random crap (saw a Nintendo Wii knockoff called the MiWi last time there lol). It's amazing how many people I meet in Toronto who have never even been in the damn place despite living down the street from it. In it's current state this has to be one of the most tragic missed retail opportunities in any major city anywhere.

I went in earlier this year and it was fairly busy. I'd also be curious to know how well it does financially.

I'm a big fan of the work being done in this thread (in fact, I interviewed Mustapha about his collection for a Torontoist article).

I've been slowly putting together my own collection of then and now photos. A lot of the images in my collection have already been recreated here, but I think I have a few unique comparisons that you guys haven't gotten to yet.

Let me know what you think and keep up the good work!

I'm a big fan of the work being done in this thread (in fact, I interviewed Mustapha about his collection for a Torontoist article).

I've been slowly putting together my own collection of then and now photos. A lot of the images in my collection have already been recreated here, but I think I have a few unique comparisons that you guys haven't gotten to yet.

Let me know what you think and keep up the good work!

Intrepidtron... a warm welcome and great to see you here.

December 1 addition. A familiar corner. For the out of towners here, this is Spadina and Queen, looking N past Queen.

Then: September 29, 1910. Teachers and students, please look up what events happened in Toronto on this date. And, no, I don't know; :) I'm just giving you an exercise. Discuss.

fo1231_f1231_it2046.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0021.jpg

Then: September 29, 1910. Teachers and students, please look up what events happened in Toronto on this date. And, no, I don't know; :) I'm just giving you an exercise. Discuss.

Mustapha, we missed you, but you should have given us the assignment before you left.

Sept 29, 1910

The Weather
Light to moderate winds, fine and moderately warm to-day and on Friday.
Woodbine Results
In the first race, 3 year olds, purse $500 1 1/16 miles - the winner - Comptor
Girl Was Killed in an Elevator
Doors Fitted Flush With Door and There was No Guard Around them
AND SHE WALKED ACROSS
Hoist Came Up and Crushed Ellen Jordon Against Wall in Candy Works
Miss Ellen Jordon was crushed between an elevator and a brick wall at Neilsons candy factory in Gladstone avenue this morning. She was removed to Grace Hospital where she died an hour later.
Woman brought Four Other Ones to Toronto Prison
And Proceedings are to Be Taken to Liberate One of Them on Ground That a Woman Cannot Be a Provincial Bailiff
Can a woman be a Provincial bailiff?
Mrs. T.J. Johnston brought four women prisoners from North Bay to the Mercer Reformatory in Toronto, and the question of her appointment as a Provincial bailiff is raised indirectly in a habeas corpus application for the release of Alice O'Brien, one of the four.
Papers have been filed at Osgoode Hall, and the motion for her release will be made to-morrow.
Emma Shea, who was sentenced at the same time as the O'Brien woman, was released yesterday under habeas corpus proceedings.
The superintendent of the Mercer Reformatory is a woman, but she is in office by virtue of the Mercer Reformatory statute.
Alice O'Brien's counsel says that a woman bailiff is something new to him and that common law does not recognize women in public offices.
When Emma Shea and Alice O'Brien were transferred from North Bay Jail to the Mercer Reformatory, the transfer was attested by the sheriff.
Alice O'Brien's lawyer asks the question: Are Ontario prisoners transferred legally when transferred this way?

Very 'Bond'. Even Bogart would be proud.:)

Mustapha, we missed you, but you should have given us the assignment before you left.

Sept 29, 1910

The Weather
Light to moderate winds, fine and moderately warm to-day and on Friday.
Woodbine Results
In the first race, 3 year olds, purse $500 1 1/16 miles - the winner - Comptor
Girl Was Killed in an Elevator
Doors Fitted Flush With Door and There was No Guard Around them
AND SHE WALKED ACROSS
Hoist Came Up and Crushed Ellen Jordon Against Wall in Candy Works
Miss Ellen Jordon was crushed between an elevator and a brick wall at Neilsons candy factory in Gladstone avenue this morning. She was removed to Grace Hospital where she died an hour later.
Woman brought Four Other Ones to Toronto Prison
And Proceedings are to Be Taken to Liberate One of Them on Ground That a Woman Cannot Be a Provincial Bailiff
Can a woman be a Provincial bailiff?
Mrs. T.J. Johnston brought four women prisoners from North Bay to the Mercer Reformatory in Toronto, and the question of her appointment as a Provincial bailiff is raised indirectly in a habeas corpus application for the release of Alice O'Brien, one of the four.
Papers have been filed at Osgoode Hall, and the motion for her release will be made to-morrow.
Emma Shea, who was sentenced at the same time as the O'Brien woman, was released yesterday under habeas corpus proceedings.
The superintendent of the Mercer Reformatory is a woman, but she is in office by virtue of the Mercer Reformatory statute.
Alice O'Brien's counsel says that a woman bailiff is something new to him and that common law does not recognize women in public offices.
When Emma Shea and Alice O'Brien were transferred from North Bay Jail to the Mercer Reformatory, the transfer was attested by the sheriff.
Alice O'Brien's lawyer asks the question: Are Ontario prisoners transferred legally when transferred this way?

A+:)

December 2 addition.

Thank Goodness. They've Saved The Facade. Then: Victoria and Adelaide.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0077.jpg

Now. November 2009.

DSC_0017.jpg

I was intrigued by this post of a really interesting neighbourhood in Hamilton.
I recommend a look-see by Toronto enthusiasts.
It's at: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=8718

Unique is an understatement! I knew of this hood, but before moving to a neighbourhood closer to it (I moved from the most southern part of downtown to just north of downtown) I had no idea how interesting it was.
Single detached homes mixed with rowhouses , mixed with factories, all steps from Hamilton General Hospital. There's even a Community Garden!

Check out that PhotoTour by Flar, for sure!

Last edited:
All this recent talk about taxing billboard companies would almost lead one to believe that signage and advertising is a relatively recent phenomenon, and that there once existed a pristine ad-free city. At least in the 20th century, from store signage, to billboards, to horse-drawn ads to vehicular ads, Toronto has embraced the varying delights of the visual come-on.

NE corner of Yonge and Shuter 1912:
Northeast_corner_of_Yonge_Street-1.jpg

Herbalist on York Street 1910:
Herbalist_on_York_Street.jpg

11.jpg

WWI:
15.jpg
13.jpg

Political billboards:
1-1.jpg
9.jpg

Products:
16.jpg
10.jpg

8-1.jpg
12.jpg

Yonge south from Bloor 1938:
Yonge_south_from_Bloor_1938.jpg

Horse drawn ads (looks like Jarvis Street):
14.jpg

By truck (WWII):
Selling_Victory_Bonds_1945.jpg

Last edited:
I remember J Allen Ross (founding Pres of The Wm Wrigley Co of Canada and builder of

235 Carlaw plant) telling me about the time he and E L Ruddy would drive about Toronto

looking for suitable sites for his billboard adverts. I did not however, ask him who was

the larger client, he, or Eugene Kelly, President of Coca-Cola!

Regards,
J T

Back