News   Jul 02, 2024
 497     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 654     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The address on Queen is 535; latterly used by M C Charters Co Ltd., Printers

and Stationers. They were one of, if not the best steel engraved stationery house

in the city. During the '70's - '80's, I had my business cards printed there.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Note that the WTF owned building on the N/E corner has had an additional floor

added as well as the "sidewalk stair", removed. This stair can be seen in the first

pic but is blocked by the blue van in the second.

Regards,
J T

The Cadillac in the 1960 photo is a '58, the two-tone car is a Ford Taunus 17M - German made. Very unusual - they were sold in very limited quantities in the US for a few years ('58-'60 or so), but I didn't know they were available in Canada.

It is also remarkably similar to the 56 Ford Fairlane and 56 Customline models although the bumper is not quite as pronounced.

Last edited:
It is also remarkably similar to the 56 Ford Fairlane and 56 Customline models although the bumper is not quite as pronounced.

It's even clearer in a full photo that it was very much a scaled-down '56 Ford.

Attachments

• ford-taunus-17m.jpg
    ford-taunus-17m.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 426
Re. the original Toronto Armouries

very high quality work! lighting is perfect...
anyway, a real heartbreaker. could have been an amazing convention center...

Ironically, the Armouries were often used as a de facto exhibition hall/convention centre-type facility. All the early auto shows were held at the armouries.

Re. the original Toronto Armouries

Ironically, the Armouries were often used as a de facto exhibition hall/convention centre-type facility. All the early auto shows were held at the armouries.

I'm supposing then that the Auto Show moved to the Automotive Building at the CNE later? In the 60s the Auto Show ran along with the Ex. Admission was free of course.

October 30 addition.

Businesses come and go. For me, they can be just as interesting as the buildings that were home to them.

Then: Queen S side, just E of Logan. C1978? No cars in the picture to help date this one. Just going by the clothes.

Mister_Frankfurt.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSCF1268.jpg

I am a new member to UT but I have been reading posts for a very long time and this thread is, by far, my favourite. I started at page one months ago and read all the posts and examined all the pictures carefully. FASCINATING!!!

It's like a time machine. So much is familiar from the old days. Sometimes I am able to look at a picture and feel myself right there where the photographer was standing at the moment the picture was taken. I can hear the traffic on cobblestones between streetcar tracks or smell the air of a fading industrial downtown, or even hear the songbirds in a stand of trees along an old city thoroughfare. It's truly magical.

I absolutely love trying to guess the year of a "Then" photo before peeking at the date (If there is one). I call this detective work: Forensic Chronology but I'm sure it has a real name. I use period clothing, pricing of products in advertising, buildings that are missing or old ones that are still there and so on. Of course I also date the automobiles in the pics as a guideline. Which brings me to my point:

...Then: Queen S side, just E of Logan. C1978? No cars in the picture to help date this one. Just going by the clothes....

On some posts a forumer has dated a picture practically to the month by the cars in the picture. I feel using the age of cars in a picture, to guess when it was, is a real crap shoot. Especially the the nearer to the present you are.

The likelihood that a brand new (for that model year) car happens into the frame at the moment it was taken, is rather high. People kept cars for a few years longer during the recession of the late fifties for example. This would skew the dating. What if the newest car in the picture was someone's collector car at the time?

In the last couple of decades they are building cars so much better that people can keep them for ten years or more. Which was unheard of in the sixties. This will definitely make it difficult for future "Then and Now" viewers to figure out the "Then" pictures.

All I'm saying is: Car dating is a starting point rather than a definitive answer to the question of "When?"

Meanwhile, my hat is off to all those car lovers that can name and date an obscure model that is far beyond my abilities.

And further, my deepest gratitude to all contributors to this thread and especially to Mustapha for all his hard work. Thank you.

I'm supposing then that the Auto Show moved to the Automotive Building at the CNE later? In the 60s the Auto Show ran along with the Ex. Admission was free of course.

I don't know when auto shows would have started at the CNE. I'm just going by something I read ages about the Armouries, not to mention the various images floating around, like this one:

Auto_show_at_the_Toronto_Armouries.jpg

Source: Auto show at the Toronto Armouries, Wikimedia Commons

The Automotive Building at the CNE was completed in 1929, so that could very likely have taken the wind out of the sails of any events at the Armouries.

Then: Queen S side, just E of Logan. C1978? No cars in the picture to help date this one. Just going by the clothes.

Mister_Frankfurt.jpg

I think it dates to July 1984.

buildings at night

Here's some news that may interest Toronto photographers:

Friday, November 6, 6 p.m.
Witness the lighting of some of Toronto's oldest, beautiful and most photographed buildings, as they are lit for the first time at night. The City of Toronto is launching the Heritage Lighting Project in the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood. A demonstration and permanent lighting installation that will see the Flat Iron Building, St. Lawrence Hall and the St. Lawrence Market lit at night for the first time in the City's history. Join us for the kick off event and ceremonial lighting of St. Lawrence Market, Friday, November 6, 6 p.m. at Market Lane Park (Jarvis and Front Streets - west of the North Market Building on Front Street).

You won't believe your eyes: St. Lawrence Market, the Flat Iron building the facades south of Berczy Park along Front Street, St. James Cathedral and St. Lawrence Hall will be highlighted with facade lighting, theatrical lighting and a general wash. Be part of Toronto's history. See it only the evenings of Friday November 6 and Saturday November 7; capture it for a lifetime.

The Heritage Lighting Project is presented by sponsors: St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood BIA and Toronto Hydro; in partnership with: the City of Toronto, St. Lawrence Market and Old Town Toronto 1793; with special thanks to: Woodciffe Development Corporation, York Heritage Properties and Allied Properties REIT.

The lighting event is a demonstration/showcase of what this program will grow to be. For a complete list of St. Lawrence Market's 205th anniversary celebrations, visit: www.toronto.ca//175/stlawrence_market.htm

Back