News   Jul 02, 2024
 488     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 650     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Hanlan's Point

The mention of a "racetrack & hotel" at Hanlan's Point reminded me of the baseball stadium once located there. That was before the Maple Leaf Stadium was built on the mainland.
Rumour has it that Babe Ruth hit his first home run at the Hanlan's Point Park - into the Lake where it may still remain!

Attachments

• Hanlan's Point 1.jpg
    Hanlan's Point 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Hanlan's Point 2.jpg
    Hanlan's Point 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 420
More interesting Toronto Then and Now pics...

Charioteer: Those Toronto Islands maps are quite interesting!

Aladone: A really neat photoshop mix combining old and new-I like the castle like front of that old armory...

Mustapha: That Gerrard/Broadview pic from 10/1960 contains the back of a Cadillac-I recognize the logo and tailfins-and the front of a Mercury or Ford product. I sometimes surprise myself recognizing those old autos...

LI MIKE

The Cadillac in the 1960 photo is a '58, the two-tone car is a Ford Taunus 17M - German made. Very unusual - they were sold in very limited quantities in the US for a few years ('58-'60 or so), but I didn't know they were available in Canada.

The Cadillac in the 1960 photo is a '58, the two-tone car is a Ford Taunus 17M - German made. Very unusual - they were sold in very limited quantities in the US for a few years ('58-'60 or so), but I didn't know they were available in Canada.

Welcome Stumack. Taunus - This is so long ago and before my time it doesn't register with me. Ford has always tantalized consumers with German sourced cars like the Capri, Merkur and the [not German :) ] Yamaha engined SHO Taurus of 1992. Didn't know they were doing so waa-ay back.

Last edited:
Amazing and depressing all at once.

I felt the same way; first the amazing picture then the sense of something beautiful lost. I think that Aladone's 'remix' picture having both the old and the new in colour did it.

Well we got the Moss Park Armoury in exchange for this :(

And they recently out up a fence around the grounds; what's up with that?

October 29 addition.

Then: Queen and River, looking W along Queen. Nothing new here, but they straightened out the tracks.

1917_Toronto_Queen_Street_W_From_Ri.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSCF1267.jpg

Re Queen and River

Astonishing that the lot behind the bank building has been vacant all these decades.

If my memory serves me correctly, it's not vacant. There are two yellow brick row houses angled facing toward the north west, back from the street far enough that they're not visible from this angle. There are some parking spaces in front.

Dilla, you are correct. it's one building set back 10m from the street-i think it had an basic/minor industrial use ..now a loft/live/work space. i had a peak at it 6 yrs ago with a view to buy (approx. 1000 sq ft of open loft)@ $300k. nice place inside

Back