News   Apr 25, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

It's only reasonable if a commuter line like Richmond Hill GO line had an ALRT for express intercity service with convenient paying systems.

Short stop spacing on subways is ideal for short range rapid transit to move mass volumes of people. The commuter corridors should focus on the more longer range and have the subways as a supplementary service when they connect to it to drop them outside the door of where they're going.

Last edited:
I guess that Rocket to STC would have to change it's starting point too. Perhaps start from Agincourt.

The rocket wouldn't be necessary as the RT will be extended to Sheppard and Markham. Let's hope some interlining can make it possible for routes from Don Mills straight to STC.

But having to wait 15 minutes because you just missed a bus? However, if the headways were every 5 minutes, would the cost of a driver, fuel, maintenance, etc. be worth it?

They can only support a bus every 15 minutes, but yet you're calling for spending tens of millions of dollars to introduce subway service to the area?!? Locations that are stable residential neighborhoods with minimal potential for intensification? Locations with no connecting bus routes? This seems inconsistent with your views on the appropriate places for subways and LRT.

They can only support a bus every 15 minutes, but yet you're calling for spending tens of millions of dollars to introduce subway service to the area?!? Locations that are stable residential neighborhoods with minimal potential for intensification? Locations with no connecting bus routes? This seems inconsistent with your views on the appropriate places for subways and LRT.

I wonder how much longer development pressures can hold off this stretch of Yonge. The developers have already out manouevered the residents at Yonge and Eglinton. How long until proposals start pushing up towards Blythwood?

There will also be induced demand for the subway service. Over a few years rentals and houses will turn over to people who have previously not cosidered living here because they can find similar properties closer to stations.

I'm not saying this means a subway station is necessary in the short-term, but I wouldn't be surprised if it became a much more broadly discussed topic in 10 years.

The rocket wouldn't be necessary as the RT will be extended to Sheppard and Markham. Let's hope some interlining can make it possible for routes from Don Mills straight to STC.

Direct service from Don Mills to STC via the Sheppard / Progress interchange will be impossible. They are placing Sheppard LRT at grade, SLRT goes underground, and they are adding a Conlins Yard connection for the SLRT trains; that means westbound-to-south and northbound-to-east. There will be no eastbound-to-south or northbound-to-west curves.

Instead, they thought of building a branch off Sheppard down Brimley or McCowan to provide a direct STC connection.

^^ Ah, I see... That sounds like it would be a good plan. Although, it may mean less service on Sheppard east of Brimley.

Although, it may mean less service on Sheppard east of Brimley.

Yes, that might be one of the issues. There are at least 3 candidate branches: Don Mills - Meadowvale, Don Mills - UTSC, and Don Mills - STC.

But it is difficult to operate 3 branches because the headways. Either the branches will have headways > 10 min, which kind of defeats the purpose of LRT; or the common trunk will have headways < 4 min, which precludes a meaningful traffic signal priority.

I expect that they will operate at most 2 branches, or maybe just one.

Yes, that might be one of the issues. There are at least 3 candidate branches: Don Mills - Meadowvale, Don Mills - UTSC, and Don Mills - STC.

But it is difficult to operate 3 branches because the headways. Either the branches will have headways > 10 min, which kind of defeats the purpose of LRT; or the common trunk will have headways < 4 min, which precludes a meaningful traffic signal priority.

I expect that they will operate at most 2 branches, or maybe just one.

Use the SELRT to do a branch to STC and a branch to Meadowvale, and then use the SLRT to have a branch to UTSC. The two can split just before Centennial.

A branch here, a branch there, a branch somewhere else...could it be that we're building transit in the wrong place to start with? I think so!

A branch here, a branch there, a branch somewhere else...could it be that we're building transit in the wrong place to start with? I think so!

Yup, we are. At this point, my suggestion above was trying to make the best of a bad situation, to at least make the SELRT somewhat useful. Not an easy task.

Wouldn't an LRT with a Sheppard branch and a STC branch be more useful than a subway that only curves down to STC?

You're assuming that a) I favour a subway extension to STC, and b) that LRT is the best option. Neither of which would be correct.

I think that the best option for Sheppard is a short subway extension to Vic Park coupled with a BRT-light (signal priority, queue jump lanes, etc) on the rest of Sheppard East, because that's all Sheppard East really needs.

Having it as BRT provides the opportunity to run various "branches", without requiring extensive physical infrastructure.

Yes, sorry, was thinking back to your old SOS days!

Haha, fair enough. Even back then though I was personally advocating for a phased approach to Sheppard (Vic Park 1st, then Agincourt, then STC). And my preference for a subway connection to STC has always been an extension of B-D.

Back