News   Jul 04, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 476     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I just got an email from Let Go Know: "Tell us what you think about the PRESTO farecard". I think I might have a few things to say...

:: rubs hands with glee ::

It's an online survey. The questions...

Have you used a Presto card before? Yes.

How did you hear about the Presto card? (Advertsining, media, giveavays, etc...) I filled in the "other" choice as "discussion on Urban Toronto" :)

What ONE word best describes the Presto card for you? Hmm. Let me think...

Where did you obtain your Presto card? (Union/home GO station/mail/other)

Whas the $6.00 fee for obtain the card an issue? (Yes/no/it was waived)

How often do you use your Presto card? (Daily/a few times a month/not any more/etc)

Is your Presto card the only way you use GO transit? (Yes/No, I use it in combination with paper tickets)

In the box below, tell us why the Presto card isn't the only way you use to pay?

How do you refill your Presto card? (at station/online/via call centre/autoload)

Are you aware you can autoload?

Which of the following options would most encourage you to set up an autoload contract? (Always have fare/never go into Insufficient Funds/reward points/easy setup/none of the above) How about having some money in my bank account?

Where do you use your Presto card? (GO trains/GO buses/local transit)

What was the main reason you switched to Presto? (Convenience/a gift/new tech/promotion/have used farecards elsewhere/novelty/other/etc)

Rate easy-to-difficult using card on trains/on buses/loading/etc.

Please rank top three benefits of the Presto card.

How has your experience on GO transit changed since using the card?

Based on your experiences using the Presto card on GO Transit, please rate Presto on the following (satisfaction using on buses;satisfaction using on trains;overall satisfaction)

Based on your experiences using the Presto card on GO Transit, please rate Presto on the following (I will continue to use the card;I will increase my usage of the card;I will recommend it to others)

Please rate the following Presto experiences: (A bunch of different things: how good the call centre was, availability of machines, ease of use, ease of loading, experience on local transit, etc, etc)

Which of the following issues have you encountered when using the Presto card? (long list of issues, none of which I encountered. I filled in the Other box.)

What type of reward points program would you like Go to partner Presto with? Um, I really don't care; it's not important to me. There was no "I don't care" box, so I selected the "none of the above" box.

Any other comments? Why, yes! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for this useful thread! It´a very interesting topic for all Torontonians at the moment. I found my answers earlier this month. My first reason to switch to PRESTO was that it looked cool when you use it. I saw some "good" articles about it, but a little articles presented relevant understanding for me.

I just used it to load my card. The debit/credit card interface is the same as the TVMs.

The menus and display need a bit of reorganization or at least a more varied colour scheme.

Last edited:
I went downtown on the train for work yesterday, and passed by the Presto machine. There were two representatives from GO explaining it. I chatted with them a little (in the process remembering that I had Forgotten To Tap Off), and learned something surprising: GO bus drivers can apparently refill Presto cards! If you ask the driver before using your Presto card, and pay cash, apparently the driver can credit the card on the spot.

I went downtown on the train for work yesterday, and passed by the Presto machine. There were two representatives from GO explaining it. I chatted with them a little (in the process remembering that I had Forgotten To Tap Off), and learned something surprising: GO bus drivers can apparently refill Presto cards! If you ask the driver before using your Presto card, and pay cash, apparently the driver can credit the card on the spot.

The people at PRESTO deny this, but this is enough confirmation for me. Of course, lets just hope people don't hold up the bus filling their cards when it's 12:30 am and Urban Princess misses her connection and I have to go pick her up - but I digress.

Did not see a mention of total capital cost, the majority of which is apparently to be borne by province -- the same province planning to slash budgets.

Philadelphia is apparently getting an open payment system for $130m: http://planphilly.com/septa-awards-1295-million-contract-build-new-fare-system
This seems to be what the article says on the matter:
After years of hesitation, the TTC finally agreed in June to climb aboard the Presto system as long as its capital costs were confined to the $47 million it budgeted, the city’s share of the $140 million joint federal, provincial and city funding allocation. Earlier estimates suggested the installation could cost twice as much.
So $140 million budgeted, but observers claim it could be $280 million.

According to that Philadelphia article, the contract was for $130 million, but they've taken out a $170 million loan, with the buffer being used to "cover other costs related to modernizing infrastructure for the fare card."

Last edited:
I am really curious to see how the TTC will implement its unique transfer system into Presto...and do we really have to wait till 2015? We are already behind in this technology and whether it will or will not be fully implemented by 2015 is still a mystery...sigh...

I am really curious to see how the TTC will implement its unique transfer system into Presto...and do we really have to wait till 2015? We are already behind in this technology and whether it will or will not be fully implemented by 2015 is still a mystery...sigh...

hopefully they won't, instead choosing to fully implement the time-based transfers they use on St. Clair instead of the arcane system they use now.

In order to have a system that is compatible with the TTC's system, you would need to know the boarding time and direction of the first bus, the direction and boarding time of the second bus, the direction and boarding time of the third bus (and so on), and a list of acceptable combinations. You also need the computer to process the combinations and accept or reject the transfer (and deduct a new fare) at the farebox.

PRESTO is theoretically compatible with this, but I doubt they would have built it into the system's architecture since the TTC wasn't a full participant until now. PRESTO certainly does not have the capability to explain why that particular trip wasn't allowed.

If the kind of open payment deployed is similar to PRESTO by leaving some sort of "mark" on your credit card to track where you've been, then the same problems apply. If the kind of open payment deployed is the kind that keeps track of how many trips you've made and then calculates which are transfers later, then you will not know if your transfer was rejected until you get the bill - and this is unacceptable in any industry.

Imagine agreeing to home renovations without getting a quote.

Back