News   Jul 05, 2024
 264     4 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 397     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

The tender isn't due until November 2010; I'm not sure what has been put on hold here.
If what has been reported is accurate, the Commission has decided to leave the awarding of the tender (if any award is made) to the next Commission rather than handing it out itself in the period between the election and the next Council taking office.

If what has been reported is accurate, the Commission has decided to leave the awarding of the tender (if any award is made) to the next Commission rather than handing it out itself in the period between the election and the next Council taking office.
Given that there is no Commission meeting scheduled between the election and the installation of the next Commission, surely this was the intent the entire time. It's hard to imagine that there would have ever been an extraordinary meeting of the Commission to award a major contract after the election; I think Giambrone has merely been letting the media run wild with speculation.

Though given his comments about the offers they've got requiring no capital cost, and only the long-term operating cost ... it would be hard for a future Commission to reject a scheme for something that will cost $300-million to $400-million more to install.

More PRESTO troubles. Yesterday my card went negative, by $0.01. I'll dispense with the rant over having to go to the station to unlock the card from a penny overdraft. So my balance was -$0.01. I loaded money. Tapped on and took GO to Union. Then I tapped off and went to work.

At work I look at the transaction history on the website and it now shows my balance before loading my card, was -$4.44. Where did that $4.43 go? I have the receipt that shows overdraft of $0.01, not $4.44. So I took a look back at the full transaction history to the very beginning, when I first loaded the card. It shows I loaded $23.00, but that my card balance after loading only went up to $14.35. So apparently in the past three months, $8.65 has been retroactively vapourized from the account in a time before I even had the card! WTF?! It's funny as I remember a time last month I thought my balance was wrong, but I dismissed it as not having properly tracked what was happening.

I"m wondering what will be the cost to get PCI compliant, especially for the quarterly vulnerabilities scanning on all the cardholder data environment?

Got this email from GO today:

PRESTO is an easy to use fare card that will allow users to travel on and between multiple transit systems with the simple tap of a card.

Staff will be at Bramalea GO Station during the morning rush hours starting tomorrow, Wednesday, October 6, to introduce you to the many benefits of PRESTO. Pick up a brochure or visit http://gotransit.com/public/en/fares/presto.aspx, http://gotransit.com/public/fr/fares/presto.aspx for more information.

Please note, currently PRESTO can be used on GO for train trips between PRESTO activated stations. By early 2011, PRESTO will be accepted on GO Buses. PRESTO will be available on Brampton Transit at a later date, please visit www.brampton.ca for more info.

Get on the GO with PRESTO!

I have tried everything to make it work with Presto, I've jumped through all of their hoops, but no more.

My previous frustration was being told that I had to tap my card on a balance checker at Union Station to confirm what they pleasantly call an autoload. And that I would have to do that every single time there is an "autoload".

So off to Union Station I went yesterday. I tapped my card on the balance checker, and instead of adding $20 to my card as it should have done, it subtracted $20.

I called customer service, and will they look into the problem within five business days. Obviously, the card is useless until then (at the very least - I should probably take up residence at Union Station so I can tap on that &$%*&/ balance checker).

I used to support Presto and the provincial government's efforts to prevent the TTC from looking at other payment systems, but no more. I think this sorry excuse for a computer system should be scrapped altogether, as it seems to have been designed by a 3-year old.

TORONTO, ON - PRESTO today announced a brand new model for their cutting-edge GTA transit fare card. The agency will now issue one-time-use cards. These new cards will be smaller and made from recyclable material. Instead of 'loading' the card with cash value, users will simply purchase as many cards as they require, and submit them to the ticket agent or operator prior to their ride.

"This is a real step forward for transit across the GTA," said PRESTO spokesperson M.I. Seeros. "Our new cards use cutting edge technology while still maintaining simplicity."

New PRESTO one-time-use cards will be available only at Union Station starting this fall.

More PRESTO troubles. Yesterday my card went negative, by $0.01. I'll dispense with the rant over having to go to the station to unlock the card from a penny overdraft. So my balance was -$0.01. I loaded money. Tapped on and took GO to Union. Then I tapped off and went to work.

At work I look at the transaction history on the website and it now shows my balance before loading my card, was -$4.44. Where did that $4.43 go? I have the receipt that shows overdraft of $0.01, not $4.44. So I took a look back at the full transaction history to the very beginning, when I first loaded the card. It shows I loaded $23.00, but that my card balance after loading only went up to $14.35. So apparently in the past three months, $8.65 has been retroactively vapourized from the account in a time before I even had the card! WTF?! It's funny as I remember a time last month I thought my balance was wrong, but I dismissed it as not having properly tracked what was happening.

So here is the result from calling PRESTO Customer Service: "I'm sorry but I can't see your current day's transactions until tomorrow. Call back then and I can help you. It will probably fix itself overnight anyways."

WHAT THE F***?

Computers don't spontaneously fix themselves. And why can I see the transactions for today on the website but the customer service can't? Is this 1980 or 2010?

Reading some of the customer complaints, this is frustrating. As more and more regional trips are done by transit, it does make sense to have a smart card to handle the various regional fare structures and policies. But the money spent, the slow implementation and technical problems has me worried this is Smitherman's eHealth 2.0.

Surprised Pantalone, or even Ford haven't used this on Smitherman to secure some polling points.

I have tried everything to make it work with Presto, I've jumped through all of their hoops, but no more.

My previous frustration was being told that I had to tap my card on a balance checker at Union Station to confirm what they pleasantly call an autoload. And that I would have to do that every single time there is an "autoload".

So off to Union Station I went yesterday. I tapped my card on the balance checker, and instead of adding $20 to my card as it should have done, it subtracted $20.

I called customer service, and will they look into the problem within five business days. Obviously, the card is useless until then (at the very least - I should probably take up residence at Union Station so I can tap on that &$%*&/ balance checker).

I used to support Presto and the provincial government's efforts to prevent the TTC from looking at other payment systems, but no more. I think this sorry excuse for a computer system should be scrapped altogether, as it seems to have been designed by a 3-year old.

I think we have auto-reload in all the automatically fare collection system, so it's rather surprise if auto-reload does not work properly in your case.

I'm wondering if the new system has to support open payment card (credit card) and also Presto, how can it be cheaper than the current system?

I fail to see the need to start slurring councillors in threads that have nothing to do with this - particularly ones that have accomplished so much in a short period of time. I'll be happy if the next TTC chair accomplished half of what Giambrone accomplished in only 4 years.
It was an extremely accurate "slur".

"This is a real step forward for transit across the GTA," said PRESTO spokesperson M.I. Seeros. "Our new cards use cutting edge technology while still maintaining simplicity."

So essentialy it took them 5 years to reinvent the wheel to the level the MTA has had for years.

Back