News   Mar 28, 2024
 392     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 716     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

what transit Tax credit? The one that the Conservatives introduced that no one got anything from and the liberals scarped because of that?
The federal one, people got money from. The Liberals killed it, because it was only a tax credit for those who paid tax, and gave the most in need - nothing.

There's still a provincial tax credit though:

The federal one, people got money from. The Liberals killed it, because it was only a tax credit for those who paid tax, and gave the most in need - nothing.

There's still a provincial tax credit though:

I wonder how many seniors use transit enough to get it and know about it

Some Presto card help, please, kind sirs.

How does one add another card to their existing Presto account?

The site tells me the card must be activated; however, the form to activate doesn't work either because it requires a pin. But this is for cards purchased online, while I got mine at a station. What garbage nonsense is this?

Some Presto card help, please, kind sirs.

How does one add another card to their existing Presto account?

The site tells me the card must be activated; however, the form to activate doesn't work either because it requires a pin. But this is for cards purchased online, while I got mine at a station. What garbage nonsense is this?
On the app, you swipe right and then there's an "Add Card" section. Tap PRESTO, then the Add Card button. Put in card and verification number (all on the back of card).

Just one comment after visiting the Islands recently, the ferry terminal really should have Presto readers or gates, regardless of what Metrolinx (Accenture?) charges. It would be a much appreciated (and awaited) convenience.
Bikeshare, too. Bikeshare at least has the benefit of the app for occasional users without a pass, but for visitors/tourists the kiosk experience is a bit clunky (last time I used it, admittedly not lately, though glanced at a station and seemed to be the same, not even a credit card tap reader). It is a public transit system, so like the others in the city it should take Presto...

Is there a need for Presto everywhere now that open payment is being adopted? Simply use your credit/debit card would suffice?

Is there a need for Presto everywhere now that open payment is being adopted? Simply use your credit/debit card would suffice?

Open payment is only available to standard Adult fares. Anything else requires PRESTO.

So in the case of bike share, I could imagine open payment would work to just rent a bike one-off, but PRESTO would be needed to actually have a subscription.

Cross post

No idea if this to happen to other systems as well what it means for the card.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The TTC and PRESTO have started upgrading bus and streetcar fare card readers in preparation for the introduction of new features next year.

New PRESTO card readers are now being field tested on two buses and one streetcar in advance of a full replacement of readers on both fleets. In total, more than 5,500 devices will be installed on TTC buses and streetcars between now and the end of January 2023. Readers on TTC fare gates will be replaced next year.

The new readers are an important step in the TTC's ongoing modernization efforts and will be future-ready for new customer-friendly services, such as open payment (credit/debit card and mobile device taps) when PRESTO makes that function available on the TTC in 2023.

The new readers are the same as those currently in use by other transit agencies across the Greater Toronto Area, including GO Transit buses. Readers on the TTC's Wheel-Trans system were replaced last month and have been working well.

For more information, customers can visit ttc.ca/presto

That would do just as well (maybe some benefits to presto like discount fare classes eg child/senior, and passes), but neither the ferry docks turnstiles (nor bikeshare kiosks last I checked, they require you to perform several steps on a screen and insert a card) had those either.

The first phase of PRESTO Card in Mobile Wallet, which will enable customers to add a virtual PRESTO card into their smartphone wallet to tap and pay at PRESTO devices, will soon be underway with a pilot to test functionality before a full rollout commences. The introduction of this product will add Metrolinx to a small list of geographies across the globe that have an account-based virtual card – providing best-in-class payment options to our customers today, and the foundation to support PRESTO’s future innovation.
New information regarding the status of Virtual PRESTO Cards from the upcoming December 1st Metrolinx board meeting: 17.1 Payments (PRESTO).

I hope the mention of "Mobile Wallet" means it'll be implemented via the Apple Wallet and Google Wallet apps like with SUICA but considering that this is Metrolinx, they could be going with an arguably inferior implementation via the existing PRESTO Card mobile app.

Last edited:
New information regarding the status of Virtual PRESTO Cards from the upcoming December 1st Metrolinx board meeting: 17.1 Payments (PRESTO).

I hope the mention of "Mobile Wallet" means it'll be implemented via the Apple Wallet and Google Wallet apps like with SUICA but considering that this is Metrolinx, they could be going with an arguably inferior implementation via the existing PRESTO Card mobile app.

1) What you describe (bypassing Apple Wallet and using the Presto Card app to tap on readers) is not possible on iPhones so it would have to be android-only.

2) The document you linked to is extremely clear, IMO: "The first phase of PRESTO Card in Mobile Wallet, which will enable customers to add a virtual PRESTO card into their smartphone wallet to tap and pay at PRESTO devices [...]" (emphasis mine). The Presto Card app is not a "smartphone wallet", Apple/Google Wallet are.

Back