News   Apr 19, 2024
 295     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 544     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 906     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Steve Munro has a new post about Presto:
Presto: A Botched Opportunity to Market Transit in Toronto?

Does anyone here know if TTC uses undercover fare enforcement officers? I recall witnessing three teens squeeze through an automatic entrance using only one metropass. A man in plain clothes yelled for them to "get back here" and attempted to chase after them, but couldn't keep up with the taller, faster teenagers.

Curiously, the teenagers did return to the station about a minute later, through the same automatic entrances, and they all were in possesion of valid metro passes.

Last edited:
How many people have auto-load on their PRESTO cards? Wouldn't the parents of teenagers (over 12) be the ones to pay for the teenager's transit use (allowance?)? I would think that gate jumping should go down, if someone else pays for it.

Does anyone here know if TTC uses undercover fare enforcement officers?

I believe I saw two at Wellesley station several years ago (it was definitely before 2010.) Two non-uniformed men grabbed someone who walked into the fare paid area via the bus loop, and took him into a little room on the concourse. They didn't say he was 'under arrest,' though it appeared they knew exactly who he was already, like he was a repeat offender. I don't know if they were police or TTC special constables.

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of taking free tides. Make it work already.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 394
I'm getting tired of taking free tides. Make it work already.

I've never seen a broken reader once on YRT, Viva, GO train stations, GO buses, MiWay, or HSR in the past 5 years I've been using Presto in the GTHA. Before someone inevitably chimes in otherwise, yes, I am aware that they absolutely do happen, but with the TTC I encounter broken streetcar/bus readers about as often as I do working ones (excluding LFLRVs).

This is ridiculous.

I've never seen a broken reader once on YRT, Viva, GO train stations, GO buses, MiWay, or HSR in the past 5 years I've been using Presto in the GTHA. Before someone inevitably chimes in otherwise, yes, I am aware that they absolutely do happen, but with the TTC I encounter broken streetcar/bus readers about as often as I do working ones (excluding LFLRVs).

This is ridiculous.

Well I guess it all comes down to the individual contractors who did the job. Did ML or TTC hire them to install? Either way
they really cheaped up on the installation and did a half ass job....

Oh man, tap the fancy electronic machine and then insert a 1920's era piece of metal. How can they possibly not be able to set up the correct fare on the Presto device?

Oh man, tap the fancy electronic machine and then insert a 1920's era piece of metal. How can they possibly not be able to set up the correct fare on the Presto device?
Because there's nothing in the system for the driver to program the route into the Presto device yet. That comes later, they are just working on the basic tap-on devices first.

Here's an alternative - either put non Presto buses on the express routes or cover the readers.
That doesn't help those who have a pass, but need to use a token as well.

Or those that carry two Presto cards - which is also an option.

Back