News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Any news about the TTC Times Two program working with the new Presto machines? Would be nifty if you could take the subway to say Oriole, a GO train to Union, and then tap back on to the subway without being charged a second fare.

I sincerely, sincerely doubt it. Somebody, might have been nfitz, tweeted Brad Ross about it recently but he seemed to have no idea that was a current program, which certainly doesn't bode well. If no confirmation is forthcoming I might try subway>union>exhibition>509 soon to check.

I sincerely, sincerely doubt it. Somebody, might have been nfitz, tweeted Brad Ross about it recently but he seemed to have no idea that was a current program, which certainly doesn't bode well. If no confirmation is forthcoming I might try subway>union>exhibition>509 soon to check.
My suspicion is subway to union; GO and then taking a 509 from Ex would work, as it appears they have enabled this by using a simple time-period transfer but blocking reusing the same line (or presumably re-entering the subway).

But Don Mills to Leslie; GO to Union, and re-enter subway wouldn't work (even if taking the 509/510).

On the otherhand, I have no idea what the implications are of having a GO trip between the TTC taps.

This is how they look...

Sorry I should have specified that I was asking about the outside of the CLRV. Do the have signs saying Presto-enabled? Someone posted such a photo a few days ago.
Just wondering if there was a way to spot whether a streetcar is Presto-enabled without having to enter.

Sorry I should have specified that I was asking about the outside of the CLRV. Do the have signs saying Presto-enabled? Someone posted such a photo a few days ago.
Just wondering if there was a way to spot whether a streetcar is Presto-enabled without having to enter.

So far they seem to have a large green Presto sticker/poster in the window right next to the front doors, however there's no guarantee that'll make it on to all of the ones that are live.

The machines' displays and lights, however, are quite bright, and I for one can generally see them quite clearly from outside the car. If you see light coming from them and it's not red, they're live; if there's no light or it's red, they're not live.

The one streetcar I've been on that had Presto enabled, did not have any stickers outside of the window. The driver seemed quite surprised it was on herself.

I've only tapped onto the CLRV reader once, but I thought the screen was supposed to display your card's balance after you've tapped? Now it just displays a green checkmark. If that's really all the reader does it's a bit of a waste of screen space; I'd really like to see a balance on there in a later update.

I've only tapped onto the CLRV reader once, but I thought the screen was supposed to display your card's balance after you've tapped? Now it just displays a green checkmark. If that's really all the reader does it's a bit of a waste of screen space; I'd really like to see a balance on there in a later update.

Problem with that is people stopping to stare at the screen and see what their balance is. If you have a high balance that may also be something you don't want anyone else to be able to see.

Problem with that is people stopping to stare at the screen and see what their balance is. If you have a high balance that may also be something you don't want anyone else to be able to see.
Agreed. This should get rid of the person staring at the reader and not moving, to the annoyance of those behind.

I've certainly raised my eyebrows at GO Union, tapping behind someone with hundreds of $ in balance!

That was one of the big complaints about that during focus groups (and that was summer 2014)

Of course, they didn't listen to a word of it.

I might be wrong, but all of the non-TTC (first generation) readers display a balance, so I was wondering why that feature wasn't carried over (personally I've never had a problem with people before me taking too long to tap on because they were reading their balance).

And the one streetcar I walked past today that advertised "Presto-enabled" had red lights on the top of the readers. Out of the 10 or so College/Spadina cars that I saw today, none of them had their Presto readers active. So it's still rolling out.

And the one streetcar I walked past today that advertised "Presto-enabled" had red lights on the top of the readers. Out of the 10 or so College/Spadina cars that I saw today, none of them had their Presto readers active. So it's still rolling out.

Official date is the 17th for the cars that have readers already, then the 31st is the deadline for all cars. I've also seen a handful that are live now, but expect them to be few and far between.

I went up to Sheppard-Yonge Station at lunch time today and came back downtown in less than 2 hours. I was only charged one fare. Any explanation for this? Looks like their new Presto fare rules have some sort of 2 hour transfer in effect.

presto.png

I went up to Sheppard-Yonge Station at lunch time today and came back downtown in less than 2 hours. I was only charged one fare. Any explanation for this? Looks like their new Presto fare rules have some sort of 2 hour transfer in effect.
Shhh! Don't let the TTC know. Two hour transfers might just get implemented by accident!

Back