News   Jul 04, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 635     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 587     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

There are no plans to install Presto in any of those TTC stations. And given the budget cuts at TTC, it doesn't look like they'll be finding the $300 million anytime soon to install Presto. Likely another broken Ford promise.

I'm sorry please enlighten me as to where Ford promised to implement the $300 million Presto system.

I'm sorry please enlighten me as to where Ford promised to implement the $300 million Presto system.

If you know nothing about Rob Ford's promises, even something as well-known as his promise to replace streetcars with buses, you probably shouldn't get so defensive when other who actually do know about his promises criticize him.

So ... now that people -- including the mayor -- have got a better feel of how tight the TTC's budget is, when do you reckon we will see PRESTO rolled out across all of Toronto's buses, streetcars and 60+ rapid transit stations? 3 years? 5 years?

Or skip straight to 'Open Payment'?

ed d.

Are the other systems i.e. YRT / MT / ... spending their own money to implement presto ?

The schedule doesn't include any installations at Yorkdale, York Mills, or Scarborough Centre, stations with important GO Bus connections to the subway/RT system.

Especially Yorkdale given its probably the most popular subway station for 905 commuters due to its easy access to 401.

Still... 2011 has started of nice with new Presto readers at Downsview Station! So at least the Spadina line has one ready!

Are the other systems i.e. YRT / MT / ... spending their own money to implement presto ?

It's a cost-sharing agreement with the province, isn't it?

Ah, yeah...I may have quoted this somewhere else but this is how it breaks down for YRT:
MTO pays...
100% Central System Capital
100% Central System Operating
33% Municipal System Capital

York Region pays...
67% Municipal System Capital
100% Municipal System Operating
York Capital Cost - $7.4M

The TTC's problem was always that the sheer scale of its system made that capital cost burdensome (well, that's the problem along with their general desire to go things alone and play power games with Metrolinx...)

Especially Yorkdale given its probably the most popular subway station for 905 commuters due to its easy access to 401.

Still... 2011 has started of nice with new Presto readers at Downsview Station! So at least the Spadina line has one ready!

Pretty sure the new stations on the spadina line/york extension are going to have presto machines too. I know its a couple years out, but worth noting.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/932847--no-magic-in-presto-hazel

* Torstar Network * Jan 24, 2011 - 7:55 AM

No magic in Presto: Hazel

Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion called the province's new Presto fare card system a "disaster" during a City budget committee meeting, in part because the TTC hasn't entirely bought in.
Martin Powell, Mississauga's Commissioner of Transportation and Works, also lamented the inter-regional fare card's "complicated fare structure."
In April, when Presto becomes operational on buses city-wide, Mississauga Transit will still have the cost of operating a parallel fare system, said Transit Director Geoff Marinoff, because many of the city's bus riders don't have a way to easily top up their cards.
Although that top-up technology is being developed, its current absence means "our aspiration of going 100 per cent Presto is going to take some time," Marinoff said.
Even if Presto were fully adopted by Mississauga's bus riders, "until the TTC accepts the Presto card, it's not going to work. It's going to be ad hoc," McCallion said.
The Presto card, introduced last summer, is a new "smart" fare card, designed to allow commuters to travel easily between different transit systems.
Transit users go to a machine and, with their debit or credit card or cash, they purchase a smart card which they can then load with currency. It is then swiped or tapped as you get on or off a bus, subway or streetcar.
Readers can simply tap on green readers at stations and on buses to have the correct fare deducted on each leg of a trip, including local buses, GO Transit and some Toronto Transit Commission stations.

I am sure it is just a typo....but if you take the front page of the Presto web page at face value.....they do not plan to ever introduce Presto at Brampton:

You can currently use your PRESTO card on:
◦GO Transit
■Union Station
■All Lakeshore West, Milton and Georgetown GO Rail Stations (except Brampton GO Station)
■Danforth and Ajax GO Rail Stations
◦Oakville Transit
◦Burlington Transit
◦Toronto Transit Commission
■Union, Bloor/Yonge, College, Dundas, Queen’s Park, St. George, St. Patrick, Kipling, Islington, Don Mills and Downsview Subway Stations
Coming by February 2011:
◦GO Transit
■All Lakeshore East GO Rail Station
Coming in Winter/Spring 2011:
◦GO Transit
■All Barrie, Richmond Hill and Stouffville GO Rail Stations
■All GO Bus Routes
◦Brampton Transit
◦Mississauga Transit
◦Durham Region Transit
◦York Region Transit
◦Hamilton Street Railway
◦Toronto Transit Commission
■Finch Subway Station
Coming in Late 2011:
◦Ottawa's OC Transpo System

So they point out that it cannot be used there yet......but in their categories of coming soon areas....there is no mention anymore!

I think its been delayed for 6 months due to the construction.

The construction is over.....I think the last thing was the elevators which went live recently.

Even if it was 6 months away, that is within the scope of the currently published time lines! I am sure they just "forgot" to put it in the timeline above which just advances the feeling that some of has that the whole Presto implementation is being done in an amateur fashion by, well, amateurs!

Back