News   Jul 25, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 390     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 484     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I got a Presto card for Christmas. :) Unfortunately, haven't been able to use it so far.

My commute is from Dundas West station to downtown Mississauga, so I take the subway and Mississauga bus. Looks like I'll be able to use Presto tonight to board the subway at Kipling on my way home, but I still can't use it on MT or at Dundas West. But when MT comes online, 3 of my 4 rides will be Presto-enabled (plus all the GO riding I do too). So I'm excited about this.

I wonder why they're not installing Presto at Dundas West though....with a connection to Bloor GO, it would seem to make sense.

Edit: I should also add that I will likely use it on the HSR and OC Transpo too. OC Transpo was always a pain in the butt because they don't sell tickets at the bus or train stations.

Last edited:
You can now flag your PRESTO card as Senior, Student or Child and receive the appropriate fare discounts.
You have to do this in person at a GO station or Burlington Transit or Oakville Transit office.

http://gotransit.com/public/en/fares/prestofaresMay1.aspx
LOL ... no, first you have to get your card, register it on the website, wait 24 hours ... and then go to an outlet. The website says "After purchasing your card and registering online at prestocard.ca, take it to a PRESTO activated GO station to have it set with a child/senior classification to receive the discount."

If this was a professionally-mananged product, you'd be able to go to a station, and be given a card that actually works straight away.

In London I've seen the tourists arriving at the subway, and being dished out working Oyster cards on the spot. In Toronto? By the time they get their cards functioning, they'd have already left town!

I wonder why they're not installing Presto at Dundas West though....with a connection to Bloor GO, it would seem to make sense.

A survey was done of the most used TTC subway stations by GO riders to choose where to install the readers the province was paying for. Only the downtown stations and terminals made the cut.

For those who are interested/what the Presto readers look like at the Viva stops here's a photo of the one currently installed at Dufferin:
IMG_0316.jpg

While this one is still under the cover it is turned on. There are a couple of readers in Markham with the cover taken off.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 346
A survey was done of the most used TTC subway stations by GO riders to choose where to install the readers the province was paying for. Only the downtown stations and terminals made the cut.
Except for, as far as I can tell, Finch. I'd be happy to be wrong, but last time I was at Finch, I didn't see a Presto gate into the TTC at all.

Except for, as far as I can tell, Finch. I'd be happy to be wrong, but last time I was at Finch, I didn't see a Presto gate into the TTC at all.

And not all downtown stations either. You would think it would make sense that any TTC stations that met GO lines would be equipped with readers.....you know, to facilitate easy/efficient/one fare medium transfer between systems.....I am sure there is logic behind not doing that....like the logic of not making "auto-reloads" auto!

I hope they install one st Finch soon. I can't wait to tips myself of using tokens.

The schedule doesn't include any installations at Yorkdale, York Mills, or Scarborough Centre, stations with important GO Bus connections to the subway/RT system.

The schedule doesn't include any installations at Yorkdale, York Mills, or Scarborough Centre, stations with important GO Bus connections to the subway/RT system.
There are no plans to install Presto in any of those TTC stations. And given the budget cuts at TTC, it doesn't look like they'll be finding the $300 million anytime soon to install Presto. Likely another broken Ford promise.

There are no plans to install Presto in any of those TTC stations. And given the budget cuts at TTC, it doesn't look like they'll be finding the $300 million anytime soon to install Presto. Likely another broken Ford promise.

Stinz said she was in favor of the presto. We'll have to wait past 2012 to see what's going to happen but the consensus is that the current system is outdated and completely inefficient

Bramalea GO is now up and running PRESTO.

Back