News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 630     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Just downloaded Presto beta for iPhone. Navigation is functional & easier and faster than website. Layout is fairly straightforward. Like the basic black & white as well. Too bad there’s no NFC capability. :(
There is on the Android version where you tap your card to load it with either a dollar figure or a transit pass..

Syncing your Presto with an Apple Pay purchase right on the spot would be golden!

Tapping the Presto on the iPhone to reload the card.

Let's ask Apple "pretty pretty please please" to let Metrolinx use those forbidden RFID-writing APIs without giving Apple a standard 30% cut of revenues. Holy farebox loss. API restrictions and revenue loss may be why it is not on iOS quite just yet... hopefully Presto card sync with online payments come soon to eliminate the 24 hour waits.

Syncing your Presto with an Apple Pay purchase right on the spot would be golden!

Let's ask Apple "pretty pretty please please" to let Metrolinx use those forbidden RFID-writing APIs without giving Apple a standard 30% cut of revenues. Holy farebox loss. API restrictions and revenue loss may be why it is not on iOS quite just yet... hopefully Presto card sync with online payments come soon to eliminate the 24 hour waits.
Metrolinx does not have the amount of influence as the 5 big banks of Canada to bargain for less of the cut being taken.

Is there a source that transit cards in Apple Pay are subjected to a 30% cut? e.g. does Suica in Japan lose 30%? That doesn't sound right...I know 30% is the figure for app store apps, but I have never heard of literally any apple pay implementation where 30% is taken.

Any chance someone can record this happening?
unfortunitly at the time i did it it was well they weri doing an invited test and I wasn't alowwed to take screenshots or anything of the app, but it was prety falowless after I made he payment on a debit card it told me to hold my presto card to the back of my phone and it wrote the amount right to the card, just as if I had used a reload machine in a sation. 24 hour reloads only ocur when you can't physicly tap your card at areader to do the reload as the information neerds itro go to all of the readers becuse they don't know hwer or when you will tap your card next for the valuse to be astiated with it.

Is there a source that transit cards in Apple Pay are subjected to a 30% cut? e.g. does Suica in Japan lose 30%? That doesn't sound right...I know 30% is the figure for app store apps, but I have never heard of literally any apple pay implementation where 30% is taken.
Apple Pay is apparently only 15 basis points (15 cents per 100 dollars) for credit cards, and 4 basis points (4 cents per 100 dollars) for debit cards in Canada. I'd put transit cards more towards the debit card pricing, if there is a fee at all. https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/canada-banks-steep-price-apple-pay/

Honestly, I don't get why people are making a big deal about this right now the app is basically a version of the website that allows instant loading for android users. Then, of course, you have the usual crowd of people that want to chime in with Presto is terrible because it's always broken and then they want to quote the article from the union which the TTC execute already called incredible fault and misleading. Preto readers and fare gates are not out of order as many people seem to think they are on a daily bases. Also, everyone also wants to comapre preto to other sytems that only deal with one trasnit agencey if Presto didn't have to comunicate with multiple transy agencies it would erliminate the24 hours for reloads. The 24 hours as everyone points out is so that the readers on the buses that don't connect mutiple times a day can downlaod all of the informatiaon and recive all the new information.

.. Metrolinx is a large enough organization that they thought they could keep the beta to friends and family and get the required numbers; except they likely didnt get the uptake they targeted. That is may or may not be there fault category..

Metrolinx is a large enough organization that they thought they could keep the beta to friends and family and get the required numbers; except they likely didnt get the uptake they targeted.

The problem is that if they're trying to properly find as many issues as they feasibly can, they need to get a good sample of Presto users. Only having it tested by friends and family of their employees introduces a lot of biases that could lead to some problems not being found until the app is open to the entire unassuming public.

The problem is that if they're trying to properly find as many issues as they feasibly can, they need to get a good sample of Presto users. Only having it tested by friends and family of their employees introduces a lot of biases that could lead to some problems not being found until the app is open to the entire unassuming public.
They also oppend it up to people who signed up for surveys via the peesro panel too. From what i understand from the emails from them they had always intended for their to be the test period and then a beta period following it with more features to come later. When i first signed into the app for testing it showed me two inactive cards i had atached to my account and then after a couple of updates they got rid of them and only show the active ones.

Back