News   Apr 26, 2024
 145     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 417     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It shows a growing trend over the last year, and if Apple users are upgrading their phones, that doesn't impact their choice of OS. I've used Apple since 1984 and am not a sheep, thank you very much.

And that’s what matters. What works for each person. Not dissing people for their choices. I have used a number of devices over the years for various purposes and for various reasons and have always come back to Apple because it works for me, so not blind brand loyalty. But the point is, that according to the stats posted, it’s a pretty even split so Presto had better serve both Android and iOS users.

I wonder how it will function for payment use will it be like the Google pay app and work if you tap your phone on a reader with the phone unlocked or will you have to open up the app for it to work. Hopefully its the first one and not the later as it would be like it is when you're stuck behind someone who has to dig through a purse or wallet for their metropass well you have yours ready in your hand.
From what they showed at the Metrolinx meeting, you don’t need to do anything other than bring your phone up to a reader. The card on the phone will automatically pull up the card and tap.

Where does it say anything about what will be any particular version of the app.
Ok, here is what I found on the September 2018 board meeting:

upload_2018-10-18_9-12-1.png

Looks like first phase is just card management fund loading, phone payment is not included and may come in the future god knows when. A source indicated that it may even be after 2019. Let's hope that is not true.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-18_9-12-1.png
    upload_2018-10-18_9-12-1.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 527
Ok, here is what I found on the September 2018 board meeting:

View attachment 160834

Looks like first phase is just card management fund loading, phone payment is not included and may come in the future god knows when. A source indicated that it may even be after 2019. Let's hope that is not true.
It was already confirmed that the first phase won’t have phone payments. But it’s good to see that it probably won’t be delayed to a 2019 release.

The first one has a problem. If you also have mobile wallet apps on your phone, such as Apple pay, or google pay, or any bank proprietary apps, your phone will be confused as which app is tapping.

That's not how NFC works. A physical card can store data blobs for different applications, each identified by a unique Application ID (AID). A Presto reader works with its own particular AID, while debit/credit terminals work with AIDs for those types of payment. When using a phone instead of a physical card, each mobile payment app registers itself with the phone's operating system to tell it which AID it supports. When you present your phone to a debit machine, Presto reader, or whatever; the mobile OS sees which AID the reader is trying to work with and then routes communication to the appropriate app.

That's not how NFC works. A physical card can store data blobs for different applications, each identified by a unique Application ID (AID). A Presto reader works with its own particular AID, while debit/credit terminals work with AIDs for those types of payment. When using a phone instead of a physical card, each mobile payment app registers itself with the phone's operating system to tell it which AID it supports. When you present your phone to a debit machine, Presto reader, or whatever; the mobile OS sees which AID the reader is trying to work with and then routes communication to the appropriate app.
But what happens when presto readers also accept debit/credit card taps?

But what happens when presto readers also accept debit/credit card taps?
Debit and Credit card readers have connections to the financial institutions central servers for authorization, so Presto readers will have to do the same. Therefore, having a constant internet connection is a requirement for credit card payments with Presto. However, mobile payments won’t necessarily have to have it as you can read and write data to the phone using NFC.

^really? TTC is planning to accept debit/credit tap on their presto readers. So those readers will be connected all the time, even those on buses?

^really? TTC is planning to accept debit/credit tap on their presto readers. So those readers will be connected all the time, even those on buses?
I’m not sure if it’s internet or a specific credit card company network, but either way they’ll need some data connection.

The customer presents their card and the card reader takes the card-holder’s details from the card’s internal chip. As soon as a card payment is made the retailer’s merchant bank receives the request from the card machine via a telephone or broadband line (one of the main purposes of a merchant bank is to create and maintain a merchant account allowing the business to take card payments).
Source

Back