News   Apr 25, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Due to the possibility of a strike by Canada Post, the TTC is ending the Metropass Discount Program early. Customers will get a credit for the November and December passes, along with $6 for the purchase of a Presto card. You can then either switch to the 12 month pass on Presto now, or purchase the passes for November and December at the ticket booth, and then switch to Presto for the new year.

Due to the ongoing uncertainty with the Canada Post labour negotiations, the TTC has decided to end its Metropass Discount Plan program earlier than December 31, 2018. This decision was made to minimize the impact the strike may have on customers receiving their MDP pass in the mail. This means MDP customers will not receive a November or December Metropass in the mail. MDP customers will not be charged for either of these Metropasses, but will receive a credit of $12.25 for adults and $9.75 for seniors/youths on November 1 and December 1, 2018. This is the equivalent to the discount normally received each month. In addition, MDP customers will also receive a $6 credit on November 1, which they can use to purchase a PRESTO card. MDP customers will not incur any cancellation fees.

Customers wishing to continue purchasing a discounted monthly pass, can sign up for the 12 Month Pass on PRESTO. It costs the same, requires the same 12-month commitment and provides the same unlimited travel as the MDP pass. Learn more about the 12 Month Pass on PRESTO at www.ttc.ca.

Alternatively, MDP customers can still purchase a regular Metropass from a collector booth at all subway stations or from an authorized Fare Media retailer. Passes cost $146.25 for adults and $116.75 for seniors/youths. All Metropasses will be discontinued on Dec. 31, 2018.

If you have any questions or require more information, please call 416-393-4636.

Sincerely,

MDP team

Prior to the Canada Post disruption decision, the TTC required that MDP customers call the TTC to cancel their subscription and then load a metropass onto their Presto card.

I was planning to wait for the end f the MDP in December. Am I correct in assuming I don’t need to call the TTC to cancel and can just go ahead and load a Metropass onto my Presto card?

Thanks

Prior to the Canada Post disruption decision, the TTC required that MDP customers call the TTC to cancel their subscription and then load a metropass onto their Presto card.

I was planning to wait for the end f the MDP in December. Am I correct in assuming I don’t need to call the TTC to cancel and can just go ahead and load a Metropass onto my Presto card?
Looks like it. See the updated information at https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Metropass/Metropass_MDP/index.jsp

Though November monthly and annual sales don't begin until later in the month (I think it's the 23rd).

And looks like you you get $30.50 out of the deal as well ($18.25 on November 1, and $12.25 on December 1). Perhaps I should have not cancelled mine back in June - though I probably saved the $ being gone for a while in July/August.

"PRESTO Roadmap" will be discussed behind closed doors at the upcoming Metrolinx Board Meeting.
Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 10.36.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 10.36.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 10.36.02 PM.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 430
It would be great of the Presto Card app allows one to view how much money the user has in real time and exactly when the two-hour transfer expires.
That won't happen until either you can use the Presto App on your phone to tap on readers or when Presto Readers have full time internet access. I guess they could use Bluetooth or WiFi to send information to your phone right after you tap your Physical Presto Card, but that's kind of convoluted.

The Presto app is currently undergoing testing. Presto Panel was looking for testers but unfortunately I wasn't chosen :(
I wonder how it will function for payment use will it be like the Google pay app and work if you tap your phone on a reader with the phone unlocked or will you have to open up the app for it to work. Hopefully its the first one and not the later as it would be like it is when you're stuck behind someone who has to dig through a purse or wallet for their metropass well you have yours ready in your hand.

I wonder how it will function for payment use will it be like the Google pay app and work if you tap your phone on a reader with the phone unlocked or will you have to open up the app for it to work. Hopefully its the first one and not the later as it would be like it is when you're stuck behind someone who has to dig through a purse or wallet for their metropass well you have yours ready in your hand.
The first one has a problem. If you also have mobile wallet apps on your phone, such as Apple pay, or google pay, or any bank proprietary apps, your phone will be confused as which app is tapping.

The first one has a problem. If you also have mobile wallet apps on your phone, such as Apple pay, or google pay, or any bank proprietary apps, your phone will be confused as which app is tapping.
If they set it up correctly, this won't be an issue. Developers can filter down what kind of NFC action activates their app (at least on Android).

^let's hope they are that smart. Mobile solution won't be in the first release anyways. Given mx's traditional foot dragging, I won't hold my breath.

^let's hope they are that smart. Mobile solution won't be in the first release anyways. Given mx's traditional foot dragging, I won't hold my breath.
I thought they said that all features would be released with the Android version of the app and then Apple would follow once they get everything sorted out. Just a side note to all of the people that keep talking about how many iPhone users there are there is actually more android users because of the multiple different phones and companies that it's used by, Apple hasn't had a large share of the smartphone users outside of the US for at least five years. http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

^I refer to this slide, virtual card and phone payment is in the 2nd release...

Mobile Roadmap.png

Attachments

• Mobile Roadmap.png
    Mobile Roadmap.png
    311.7 KB · Views: 755

Back