News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 652     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 988     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

UT members thinking how they can grab a paper transfer at the subway station to extend their trip even further!

Looks like that fare integration discount also behaves as a Presto pass too.

Intuitively, I think this probably also means multiple TTC rides at both ends of a GO/UPX trip ($1.50 flat fee for TTC+GO+TTC or TTC+UPX+TTC) as long as first and last TTC tap are made within 2 hours of each other. Integration to a pre-existing rule.

(I'm confirming that part too).

upload_2018-8-4_20-2-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-4_20-2-49.png
    upload_2018-8-4_20-2-49.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 389
Relief: no more Presto lineups at Bloor-Yonge.

Plenty of redundancy for failed machines here at this interchange station now!
A good number of them are 'out of service' already. Got talking to a service tech at...XXX...erased this, he told me too much, don't want him getting into trouble. They remain very problematic. According to two techs I've spoken with so far, there's not much they can do: "Software".

Remember, two hours from first tap to last tap.

You can have a 3 hour transit trip with a 2 hour transfer, if you tap on your last leg on time.
This presupposes some conditions, not least that past that two hours, you remain on the last vehicle you tapped on to, or a transfer free connection to the subway and on.

But what about POP? Won't the reader say you haven't tapped in 2 hours?
The cynical me is with Leo on this. My 'neutralizer' to this issue is not to tap unless you have to! Changing POP vehicles? Don't tap. I realize the TTC wants you to, they don't have the Bylaw to require it! I've been through this with the 'Fare Police' and they grin when this is point is raised. They don't even want to talk about it, their concern is that you're not past two hours from your first 'tap-on'. They know the limits of the system.

Ditto btw, for trains! This has come up a number of times on UPX, where they fare-check you onboard. It takes some by surprise when you didn't 'tap on' at Union, but then realize: "Oh yes, it states 'Open Ticket' so you're fine". In fact, when I was having trouble with the GO Presto stalk at UPX Union,(it wasn't granting "Open ticket" status, and I got charged twice) GO service staff told me "do not tap off and tap on again when using trains through Union". The system is still buggy.

Once you enter the vehicle with a green checkmark, you are ONE. HUNDRED. PERCENT. SCOTS. FREE.
Caveats and provisos apply.

Intuitively, I think this probably also means multiple TTC rides at both ends of a GO/UPX trip ($1.50 flat fee for TTC+GO+TTC or TTC+UPX+TTC) as long as first and last TTC tap are made within 2 hours of each other. Integration to a pre-existing rule.
Evidently not in practice, even if it is allowed in theory. It's yet to do that for me that I can tell, albeit I usually just end-up taking Mi-Way to Islington after GO to Square One, and then the TTC after. I get the lowest Mi-Way fare every time. Always the full TTC one, even when transferring directly from GO at Onion.

Let me flip this over for the sake of illustration, and admittedly, this isn't a linear transposition:

If I get off a GO bus at Square One (and tap-off, as is required)(I think! Now there's a question to consider...), tap onto Mi-Way to get down to Port Credit, and then tap onto the GO train there, I'm charged a new fare. The way I've been dealing with this, since it freakin' ticks me off (I always get it fixed phoning it in, but what freakin' hassle that gets to be) is to buy a ticket, start of destination to finish. Shouldn't have to...and then doing that complicates getting on Mi-Way to get the co-fare, albeit showing the ticket to the driver, and having him manually key it in on the Presto Card has worked in the past.

When I get on the GO train, if I'm asked for proof of fare, I flash the ticket.

So run me through how the TTC has this sorted with Presto to do as you describe?

Last edited:
From this RFI:

Metrolinx is accepting Submissions for RFI 2018-PVMD-026 – to explore how to optimize PRESTO’s role in the mobility ecosystem and the best sourcing model to support it. As part of this exercise, PRESTO is seeking a Request for Information (RFI) to sound the market with its conceptual model in the mobility ecosystem and gain insights from the market, including sector-led technology, customer and sourcing/ownership innovations, with respect to:
• Understanding market interest in PRESTO and its conceptual model
• Willingness to accept transferred risks and best allocation of risks
• Key challenges and constraints
• Other issues PRESTO may wish to clarify or hear a perspective on after receipt of submissions.
The outcomes from the RFI will help inform PRESTO’s choices in terms of its optimal role, infrastructure and sourcing approach and help form future contracting approaches.

Can anyone translate this to English? Is Metrolinx looking to expand Presto use (non-transit)?

From this RFI:

Can anyone translate this to English? Is Metrolinx looking to expand Presto use (non-transit)?
I think this is more about how to make Presto more accessible to all users and to make it more obvious or easy to learn.

They could asking for proposals for a centralized system conversion, but that's unlikely.

From this RFI:[...]Can anyone translate this to English? Is Metrolinx looking to expand Presto use (non-transit)?
It's sure full of inside lingo, but beside what others above have pointed out, this has the distinct air of lending itself to private enterprise involvement:
• Understanding market interest in PRESTO and its conceptual model
• Willingness to accept transferred risks and best allocation of risks
• Key challenges and constraints
• Other issues PRESTO may wish to clarify or hear a perspective on after receipt of submissions.
The outcomes from the RFI will help inform PRESTO’s choices in terms of its optimal role, infrastructure and sourcing approach and help form future contracting approaches.

I'm sure a translation will be posted by someone like Munro shortly. DBFOM, like it or not, is the future of Metrolinx operations, and perhaps this is also one.

hopefully they can expand it to other products such as purchases at listed stores or for entrance to community centre pools and gyms. The octopus card in hk does just that and more.
At the very least it should be possible to pay with PRESTO for CITY services (community centres, ferry boats, museums etc).

At the very beginning of Presto, (GO Milton Line Pilot) I was informed that Presto was envisioned to be able to be used to purchase your coffee, paper etc. on your way on board your transit vehicle.

The two-hour fare rules aren't efect untill later in the month, and they are alowing use of the same route. However as it is now there are some transfers that are currently allowed that seem to be over the normal hour window.
I've never seen a transfer over the 2-hour limit from the first tap before.

Though I accidentally confirmed yesterday that the two-hour transfer doesn't exist yet.

I wasn't thinking, and tapped on a 503 Streetcar, after getting off a 504D bus at River and King. Of course, the streetcar that says 503 on it, is currently programmed as 504B, triggering the new fare. Which I realized about 2 seconds after I tapped without thinking.

I also got 5 charges yesterday (should have been 4) so daily rate capping still not there (scheduled for this fall sometime).

upload_2018-8-9_11-33-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-9_11-33-24.png
    upload_2018-8-9_11-33-24.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 596
Call TTC Customer Service to get your money back.
I've generally been not doing that of late, because of all the free rides I've had from errors-in-my-favour. But that one particularly incensed me, and I have done so. Surprisingly they couldn't process it yesterday afternoon, as it wasn't visible on their own system yet - even though the details were showing up in my online account by 4 pm!

At least the upcoming 2-hour transfer will fix that. I'm pondering if I even need a Metropass after that and the daily/weekly ratecapping go into effect.

I
I've never seen a transfer over the 2-hour limit from the first tap before.
In the early days of presto you could tap on at one station and then your next tap might be a few hours later but be marked as transfer even though it would have been imposable to transfer from those two stations. For example, I used my presto card a victoria park and then again laterr at Sheppard younge

Back