News   Jun 17, 2024
 319     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 455     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Do they exist now? I think not.

There are vending machines installed to distribute them (both for TTC and GO Transit) and Metrolinx (Accenture) have stacks for testing purposes. Can you as a customer get one from a TTC agent? No.

So yes, they exist, but they're not yet ready for production use.

There are vending machines installed to distribute them (both for TTC and GO Transit) and Metrolinx (Accenture) have stacks for testing purposes. Can you as a customer get one from a TTC agent? No.

So yes, they exist, but they're not yet ready for production use.

I haven't seen these machines yet. Do you happen to have a photo? Curious what they look like. Where did you see them?

That will bring the 2-hour transfer issue to the fore. It's one thing when you tap your card and Presto decides whether to treat as a transfer versus charge you a new fare. It's another thing when it rejects your single-use card as having completed its one and only trip.

How will fare by distance work with these? Does the user declare their begin and end points when they purchase?

- Paul

How will fare by distance work with these? Does the user declare their begin and end points when they purchase?l
I'm not sure they are planned for GO Transit - though I suppose it's possible to do exactly that with the vending machines, or at the counter the same way you do now.

For the current TTC fare system, they have over 1,200 authorized vendors in the city - https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Prices/loadFareMediaSellers.action

Presto has less than 150 in the entire province, and that includes about 60 TTC Gateway newstands that only sell cards, and all the agency locations (but not the GO locations).

On the other hand, you can't buy tokens and metropasses online. Presto needs very few retail vendors compared to the existing system - that's one of its main benefits. It makes sense to sign a contract with a retail chain that's reasonably close to everyone, has long opening hours and is going to charge little if anything for the service since it can be a loss leader (I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually paying Metrolinx to be the Presto vendor).

A quick look at the map on the Presto site (which does include GO locations, but not the TTC Gateway newstands) doesn't show that Toronto has much less places to buy than anywhere else.

Really, there should be a vendor within walking distance - at least for a book of paper Presto tickets.

There's definitely not going to be any "book of paper Presto tickets" that you can buy. I don't think the TTC has figured out when they're going to phase out cash fares, tokens and paper transfers, but AFAIK they're only planning to have single-use Presto cards that cost the same amount as the cash fare.

I'm not sure they are planned for GO Transit - though I suppose it's possible to do exactly that with the vending machines, or at the counter the same way you do now.

Go Transit just has machines that print out a paper slip with ticket info. YRT does the same for transfers when someone uses a paper ticket.

If we are implementing single-use Presto cards that only work on TTC and require you to then go up to the GO machine and buy a GO ticket, and then do something else on BT or Miway etc when you get off the GO Train, we have really come a long way, eh?

/s

- Paul

Presto needs very few retail vendors compared to the existing system - that's one of its main benefits.
I'd disagree, as it doesn't put it withing walking distance of most people, like the current system. It's always loss-leading - it drives business towards the vendors. Do we really need to take that away from the many small vendors who have it now, and push more business to over-priced Shoppers?

There's definitely not going to be any "book of paper Presto tickets" that you can buy. I don't think the TTC has figured out when they're going to phase out cash fares, tokens and paper transfers, but AFAIK they're only planning to have single-use Presto cards that cost the same amount as the cash fare.
Presumably there's nothing stopping you buying 5 or 10 at once. I'd assume most people aren't going to buy only 1, unless they are in the subway station at a vending machine, about to ride. No, we haven't seen what form it's going to take - but I'd be surprised if they weren't available in some kind of strip or book. This isn't uncommon elsewhere that single-use paper RFID cards are used.

Go Transit just has machines that print out a paper slip with ticket info. YRT does the same for transfers when someone uses a paper ticket.
I'd be surprised if with the new machines GO has put in recently, they haven't future-proofed it, so it could also give out single-use RFID tickets for whatever route, given that Metrolinx and TTC have been talking about this for 5 years already. Hang on a minute ... no I would be surprised actually.

I'd disagree, as it doesn't put it withing walking distance of most people, like the current system.

Why does that matter? It doesn't need to be within walking distance. Your computer is within walking distance. Most people will never use this service.

Presumably there's nothing stopping you buying 5 or 10 at once.

Sure, but it would be stupid to do that when you pay a 25 cent premium on each one of them.

I'd assume most people aren't going to buy only 1, unless they are in the subway station at a vending machine, about to ride.

I'd assume most people - virtually all people, frankly - will never use them, period. If the TTC does ever implement them, I doubt they'll be sold anywhere other than subway stations.

If we are implementing single-use Presto cards that only work on TTC and require you to then go up to the GO machine and buy a GO ticket, and then do something else on BT or Miway etc when you get off the GO Train, we have really come a long way, eh?

Single-use Presto cards are a TTC-only thing. They're the TTC's answer to concerns about how tourists, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, schools, summer camps and so on will be able to use the TTC once tokens are discontinued.

Why does that matter? It doesn't need to be within walking distance. Your computer is within walking distance. Most people will never use this service.
For those lucky enough to have computers. I see a lot of people on transit, that I suspect don't own computers or smartphones - or even a pair of shoes sometimes.

Vancouver has single use RFID paper tickets already. They are widely available in outlets there, looking at the mapping on the website. I haven't been back there since they switched to Compass, so I can't comment - but given how often you used to see the paper tickets, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a lot of usage of the paper RFID cards.

Sure, but it would be stupid to do that when you pay a 25 cent premium on each one of them.
We don't know what pricing will be yet.

I'd assume most people - virtually all people, frankly - will never use them, period. If the TTC does ever implement them, I doubt they'll be sold anywhere other than subway stations.
Why would we be so different than Vancouver? There are so many neighbourhoods that don't have subway stations, I'd be extremely surprised if you are correct.

Single-use Presto cards are a TTC-only thing.
Right now perhaps, but that's because TTC negotiated it's agreement with Presto years later, and with a lot more detail and knowledge than the initial agencies. As all the other agencies are now in the middle of negotiating new contracts, and are being asked to pay more than TTC paid, I'm quite sure they are looking for a lot of asks, that they didn't get before, now that they can see what is available. Like paper tickets, refill machines, on-board ticket machines, ticket machines at stops, along with other products and improvements.

I'd be very surprised if similar capabilities aren't added in cities like Ottawa and Hamilton. But who knows - perhaps they don't have tourists in Ottawa.

Back