News   Jun 26, 2024
 158     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I use ApplePay whenever I can :) I would love a Presto app rather than having to use a card.

This has probably been mentioned in this thread before, but if you hold your Apple Pay-enabled iPhone up to a Presto reader, the phone screen lights up like its trying to pay the fare, but obviously it doesn't work, yet.

This has probably been mentioned in this thread before, but if you hold your Apple Pay-enabled iPhone up to a Presto reader, the phone screen lights up like its trying to pay the fare, but obviously it doesn't work, yet.
you may be able to use it at the reload machines there was some talk about it earlier in the thread I believe, as far as I know that is all that is planned for mobile payment devices as it's more convenient to add money to a card then to have afare taken off a credit or bank account every time you tap. Personally I would rather use Preto then may back or credit card anyway to pay for transit as that way I know how much money I'm putting towards transit.

you may be able to use it at the reload machines there was some talk about it earlier in the thread I believe, as far as I know that is all that is planned for mobile payment devices as it's more convenient to add money to a card then to have afare taken off a credit or bank account every time you tap. Personally I would rather use Preto then may back or credit card anyway to pay for transit as that way I know how much money I'm putting towards transit.
You can use any contactless credit card at the reload machines. I usually pay with my Amex app on my phone.

You can use any contactless credit card at the reload machines. I usually pay with my Amex app on my phone.

Is there a certain sweet spot on the reader for placement of your phone, sometimes when I use my iPhone no matter how I place my phone the NFC reader doesn't see it.

Is there a certain sweet spot on the reader for placement of your phone, sometimes when I use my iPhone no matter how I place my phone the NFC reader doesn't see it.
It varies by phone. You'd need to look up where the NFC chip is located on your phone.

Hmm ... or turn NFC on. I've tried my phone against the odd NFC reader occasionally to see it would at least see it (in boredom ... there's a reader on an elevator I spend too much time in). Just looked in the settings - had the phone 2 years, and I've never looked before ... seems I have to turn NFC on first. :)

Hmm ... or turn NFC on. I've tried my phone against the odd NFC reader occasionally to see it would at least see it (in boredom ... there's a reader on an elevator I spend too much time in). Just looked in the settings - had the phone 2 years, and I've never looked before ... seems I have to turn NFC on first. :)

Fortunately, that can't happen to me since nfc is always on with the iPhone and you can't turn it off even if I wanted to

Fortunately, that can't happen to me since nfc is always on with the iPhone and you can't turn it off even if I wanted to
Fortunately? You can't turn it off? Can't you use NFC to pass files around? I'd think there's a bit of a security risk. Default it on perhaps ... but who doesn't put a switch in.

Any idea how much power it sucks - which would be my prime reason to turn it off - as I often do with either wifi or the mobile connection, if I'm short of juice.

Fortunately? You can't turn it off? Can't you use NFC to pass files around? I'd think there's a bit of a security risk. Default it on perhaps ... but who doesn't put a switch in.

Any idea how much power it sucks - which would be my prime reason to turn it off - as I often do with either wifi or the mobile connection, if I'm short of juice.

With an iPhone NFC only works with ApplePay which you have to use your touchID to activate it. As for power consumption I don't know but most since it only be used for ApplePay very little I guess.

With an iPhone NFC only works with ApplePay which you have to use your touchID to activate it. As for power consumption I don't know but most since it only be used for ApplePay very little I guess.
And you can use BMO Mobile PayPass too apparently - because you literally put a sticker on the back of your phone ... or anything else I suppose. Not sure what the difference is between this and just using a BMO card.

I'm surprised that Apple is so far behind. Even Blackberry seems to support most.

You load your cards onto ApplePay, so with one app you can easily switch between Visa, MC, AmEx,etc. I have both Cdn and US cards and can easily and quickly access them all via ApplePay

Apple seems to behind Android with some of the uses for NFC on iphone for example you can send pictures from one Android phone to another by touching them back to back with android beam. Alos Scotia banks app allows you to pay with NFC on your phone if you have RFID turned on for your card.

You load your cards onto ApplePay, so with one app you can easily switch between Visa, MC, AmEx,etc. I have both Cdn and US cards and can easily and quickly access them all via ApplePay
Oh, is that what ApplePay is? I thought they had their fingers in the banking somehow. I don't think that's any different than whatever app most phones come with, Apple or not. Or am I missing something?

Back