News   Jun 26, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It seems the public in Toronto loves to be outraged about transit on social media to a degree not even Vancouver (with some pretty frequent skytrain issues and a 6$ fee per compass card) can match.

Especially when they get in the way of their god, the motor vehicles.

I wonder if I could get on the subway using my Subway card. It looks very similar! :D
subcard-sandwich_v2.jpg
upload_2017-1-5_17-49-9.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-5_17-49-9.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-5_17-49-9.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 444
There may be a reluctance to do city themed Prestocards since they work across multiple transit systems. Having a Toronto or Ottawa card might give purchasers the impression that it only works on the TTC or OCTranspo.
Hold a contest at each participating transit agency for the design. Number of each design issued will be proportion to the size of agency (population served or ridership).

There may be a reluctance to do city themed Prestocards since they work across multiple transit systems. Having a Toronto or Ottawa card might give purchasers the impression that it only works on the TTC or OCTranspo.

Not really an obstacle for SmarTrip - every card (aside from the "limited edition" cards) has a picture of a Washington DC bus and subway car, even though it's accepted throughout Washington DC and Baltimore. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see complaints all over Toronto social media, but it's not an issue for the rest of the world.

Also interestingly (and sorta off-topic), the Washington and Baltimore farecard systems are designed to be fully compatible with each other, so that you can use one system's card on the other system's fare payment machines, even though they're managed separately.

Hold a contest at each participating transit agency for the design. Number of each design issued will be proportion to the size of agency (population served or ridership).
That could still confuse people that their card only works in that city. For example you might have someone think that a card that says TTC on it or Toronto on it won't work on Go Transit, the UP express, in ottawa or in hamilton. People in Toronto are already confused and try to tap their Metropass on presto readers and seem to be annoyed when nothing happens.

That could still confuse people that their card only works in that city. For example you might have someone think that a card that says TTC on it or Toronto on it won't work on Go Transit, the UP express, in ottawa or in hamilton. People in Toronto are already confused and try to tap their Metropass on presto readers and seem to be annoyed when nothing happens.
But I don't think people with the special UP Express cards believe the card is only for UP. I'm sure they've figured out it's good for the whole GTA. I don't see a problem with commemorative Presto cards. A Presto card commemorating the TTC's 100th anniversary in a few years would be nice, for example.

But I don't think people with the special UP Express cards believe the card is only for UP. I'm sure they've figured out it's good for the whole GTA. I don't see a problem with commemorative Presto cards. A Presto card commemorating the TTC's 100th anniversary in a few years would be nice, for example.
Maybe make a celebratory card for when Presto on TTC works 99% of the time.:p

... but TTC fare inspectors have thought my UP Presto card was actually a metro pass and just waived me through.

On another topic has Metrolinx considered expanding Presto to have increased uses? I feel like bike share is a natural use for a registered Presto card (they would know who stole or lost a bike). Many cities also allow cards to be used in taxis and at stores, it would definitely be convenient .

Metrolinx have said that part of their new partnership with/funding of Bikeshare Toronto involves eventually enabling use of Presto--however, they recognized the difficulty of that with the nature of bikeshare, largely because of the >$1000 fee for a lost or stolen bike. Note that Presto registration has no legitimacy in terms of tying a card to a person for any legal reason; 1) you can type in whatever info you want when registering, 2) cards are allowed to be shared even if registered, 3) cards can be stolen and remain active for up to 24 hours after being blocked.

As for taxis and stores, I've never understood why people want that. I have a debit card and a credit card, why would I need to be able to use Presto in stores? Furthermore, I have debit and credit on my iPhone and Apple Watch via Apple Pay, so it's much more convenient to use that than to tap a Presto card. Even if Presto is eventually available in Apple Pay too, again, why would I use it over a debit/credit card?

Note that Presto registration has no legitimacy in terms of tying a card to a person for any legal reason; 1) you can type in whatever info you want when registering, 2) cards are allowed to be shared even if registered, 3) cards can be stolen and remain active for up to 24 hours after being blocked.
And there's no indication that I can find that Metrolinx would want to change 1) or 2). They do, however, project the ability to do more with the next generation of card:
[...] PRESTO plays an important role in supporting greater integration of the region’s transit systems and in making the customer experience more convenient. While originally contemplated as a smartcard to integrate the regional transit systems of the GTHA, the success of PRESTO has meant a growing mandate and reach as the program has matured and the technology advanced. With 11 transit systems across the GTHA and Ottawa, each with their own fare structure, implementing PRESTO is one of the most complex fare card projects currently underway globally.
[...]
The Next Generation of PRESTO
[...]

Key feature of the Next Generation of PRESTO includes:

• For riders – Open payment (ability to pay transit fares using contactless debit card or credit card technology), self-service kiosks, and more website services. These enhancements will provide riders with an ever expanding degree of choice and convenience based on their distinct personal preferences.
  • For transit agencies – Open architecture (vendor independence), enhanced business intelligence component and enhanced back office capability. These new capabilities will allow transit agencies to offer new services and enhance their operations.
Over time, PRESTO’s technology is envisioned to potentially enable additional transportation partnerships, acting as a parking pass or bike pass for example. This will offer riders additional convenience and offer transit agencies potential cost and operational efficiencies.
[...]
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/presto/presto_projects.aspx

I've got to fully agree with Megaton's wish to keep Presto much as it is now. Best Metrolinx concentrate on getting the present generation of Presto working faultlessly before expanding and complicating the present task.

Back