News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Yes. Since the TTC has no single-ride post secondary fare, you are instead charged the adult fare of $2.90. I believe the TTC website actually technically lists $2.90 as the presto price for post secondary students and $3.25 as the cash price somewhere, to reinforce that only the pass is discounted.
Thanks, you got me Googling and it came up with the tags you supplied:
*Student fares are available for ages 13-19 on the TTC. At this time, the TTC does not have a Post-Secondary PRESTO fare, so all post-secondary students will pay the Adult PRESTO fare. More information on post-secondary students and the TTC can be found on the TTC website.
https://www.prestocard.ca/en-US/Pages/ContentPages/FaresTravel.aspx

And indeed, the fare is $2.90

I suppose the TTC will still need to issue student IDs even when Presto rolls out, unless Metrolinx were to handle student verification.
Another good question...

A quick supposition without checking: Card holder is allowed on with the proviso that when challenged by a fare-inspector (as with anyone using Presto) proof of fare payment must be shown, or the card produced to check on a machine to see what default is set, and then when asked, supply proof that the default is bona-fide.

What's stupid about this is the Post Secondary Student 1 (for GO Transit) produces a concession noise when it's tapped on TTC presto reader but charges full adult fare. If tapped on a new streetcar reader, it produces a transfer showing "PS1" instead of adult. I don't know how you explain this to clueless bus drivers. This wasn't a thing when TTC first introduced Presto to their system (it just says adult) until last December.

TTC can retain their ID policy and ask people to show it like they do with metropasses. A fare payment doesn't mean it's the correct one. It's like paying a senior fare when you're an adult.

Yes, when I was at Durham College a couple of years ago, I had a post- secondary concession put on my Presto card. I had my student card and its U-Pass during the school year for riding the DRT buses, but during the summer when that wasn't available, I got an (adult) monthly pass put on the Presto card.

There will be a discussion on requiring PRESTO card for all humans over 5 Earth years old. See link. It's for proof of age.

PRESTO card is required for children aged 6-12 to travel free on the TTC

With the introduction of new PRESTO enabled fare gates and POP system-wide in 2017, children ages 6-12 will require a PRESTO card to access the TTC and serve as POP while traveling. Photo ID will not be required for children ages 6-9.

upload_2016-7-6_22-57-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-6_22-57-7.png
    upload_2016-7-6_22-57-7.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 14,971
They should really make the Post-Secondary tap with the yellow light concession beep with a metropass is loaded onto the card. Otherwise it could be unnecessary hassle for the rider when they are indeed paying adult fare (which they don't need a photo ID card). Imagine being kicked off a bus for not having the post-secondary ID card but paid a full adult fare and the machine made a concession tap.

They should really make the Post-Secondary tap with the yellow light concession beep with a metropass is loaded onto the card. Otherwise it could be unnecessary hassle for the rider when they are indeed paying adult fare (which they don't need a photo ID card). Imagine being kicked off a bus for not having the post-secondary ID card but paid a full adult fare and the machine made a concession tap.

there isn't going to be a photo ID card. For the fares thath require one it will be on the presto card, so when a inspector scans it they will see the photo of the person who has the card and is entitled to the special fare, if you aren't the person who owns the card that's when you will get trouble.

there isn't going to be a photo ID card. For the fares thath require one it will be on the presto card, so when a inspector scans it they will see the photo of the person who has the card and is entitled to the special fare, if you aren't the person who owns the card that's when you will get trouble.

I think you might be understanding "on the presto card" as meaning digitally--my understanding is that it means physically printed on the back of the card, the public surveys then information released about the new design of the card (the current generation with the braille on it) has a large empty space on the back for a photo that is designated as being reserved for exactly this purpose. Won't be something that appears on inspector fare checkers or that is digitally encoded, just a physical image.

I think you might be understanding "on the presto card" as meaning digitally--my understanding is that it means physically printed on the back of the card, the public surveys then information released about the new design of the card (the current generation with the braille on it) has a large empty space on the back for a photo that is designated as being reserved for exactly this purpose. Won't be something that appears on inspector fare checkers or that is digitally encoded, just a physical image.
I think it would make more sense to digitally encoded it. Excpecly with kids and teens as they would have to get a new presto card every year then.

It's a good idea, but is it even possible to embed a photo in the card metadata? That's a lot of information.

What's your source for this.

Brad Ross says the photo will be "physically applied" on the card. https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/750854806588227584

The TTC report to the board for Monday, indicates that it would be similar to Opus. How is this only seen when scanned?

Opus_versoTA.jpg

on other news, has TTC announced anything on the next batch of presto faregate installations lately?

What's your source for this.

Brad Ross says the photo will be "physically applied" on the card. https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/750854806588227584

The TTC report to the board for Monday, indicates that it would be similar to Opus. How is this only seen when scanned?

Opus_versoTA.jpg
I think they may not even be sure about it. Yet as I said somewhere before. If they put the photo on the card does thath mean the kid or teen has to get a new one every year or will, it be like a passport and they have to get a new presto card every few years?

Back