News   Jun 26, 2024
 225     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

The app's limited function stinks of something bought off the shelf rather than designed to actual TTC/Torontonian requirements just to meet a Pan Am deadline.
I think that's actually pretty common when apps are made with a limited function they will use something that exist already rather then building something from scratch.

Even the TTC website was terrible before Adam Giambrone (former chair of the TTC) got them to improve it, more than five years ago.

Most 1.0 versions would be limited in scope. I just hope that by 2.0, there would be improvements.

Well it's better than many. MTA has a pretty bad one considering the significance of that system. I like Montreal's, and of course London's is very good.

I visited many different sites and I am yet to find one that was better than the TTC.
Some look nice, but are pretty shallow. Montreal and London come to mind ...

Actually, London's isn't that bad once you start digging. I don't find it as intuitive as Toronto, and more clicks to find simple things like route maps and bus stop times ... looks flashy though.

No ... too much clicking to just get a simple bus route.

TTC website is a single click to get the list of routes, a second click to pick the route, and a third click to pretty much do anything (map, schedule, etc).

Translink, after the first click on buses, you still don't have a list. Then you have to use a clumsy drop-down menu, or randomly type in route numbers. And then click again (typing in times, etc.) before coming to a menu where you can get the map ... which is PDF, and not supported well in some browsers. The full schedule is also PDF. TTC's HTML solution for this is much quicker, simpler, etc.

Yes, Translink is better than some ... but not as simple to use at TTC's.

No ... too much clicking to just get a simple bus route.

TTC website is a single click to get the list of routes, a second click to pick the route, and a third click to pretty much do anything (map, schedule, etc).

Yes, Translink is better than some ... but not as simple to use at TTC's.

2 or 3 clicks should be the maximum required. Toronto's is really good for this. But a few suggestions:

- A clickable pdf/gif map of Toronto. If I have to go on a new route I have to first find the route on the large map and then open a new window and click on the route description.
- On the Trip Planner the Bus Route should link to the Route tables
- The Route Table maps should be clickable to access the connecting routes
- The trip planner should identify service disruptions (both scheduled and unscheduled)
- the news section (the centre of the page) is not very well used. Put more tourist stuff there and less information abut Presto and how to buy pins. What is happening in Toronto and how do I get there via Transit (great with the Pan-am games but does not happen for other events)

It is frustrating that Presto is finally installed at some stations but not on all entrances. I was entering Sheppard station but found the south entrance "tokens and metropass only". Well I have cash and Presto only so needed to walk quite a bit to the north of Sheppard to get in. (Not sure if there is another one closer that has Presto)

I have been to many subway systems and in all cases all entrances accept the fare cards. As usual extremely slow implementation with a half a$$ result. Is it the plan to have presto only at certain entrances? That would be unacceptable. Most people still need both tokens and presto.

It is extremely disappointing...I got caught out at King once...didnt know where the Presto reader was...I guess for now they are doing the minimum
to get the check in the box....hopefully they will have it all converted on schedule (end of next year...)

I'll take a single reader at every station over every station having ample readers any day. I have no issue walking to another entrance, if need be. Sure it's not convenient, but you can live with it for now.

I do wish they'd do them all at once. It's a pain, particularly for concession fares that don't have a choice, as the gates neither take tickets nor cash.

At a minimum though, would it kill them to simply put a frigging sign at the entrance, before you go down all the stairs?

I'll take a single reader at every station over every station having ample readers any day. I have no issue walking to another entrance, if need be. Sure it's not convenient, but you can live with it for now.
Especially considering that all the current fare gates are getting ripped out in the next two years.

Back